Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

26 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

These are all further indicators of the demise of the MAC and other similarly situated conferences.  They've become the minor leagues for the P5 conferences. 

This is where having a winning culture will matter. Players can go to Akron, Kent, Toledo, and Ohio and expect to be on good teams. Not so much with CMU, EMU, etc. Doesn't mean we won't lose players, but I think they're less likely to bolt right away vs those types of schools.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

This is where having a winning culture will matter. Players can go to Akron, Kent, Toledo, and Ohio and expect to be on good teams. Not so much with CMU, EMU, etc. Doesn't mean we won't lose players, but I think they're less likely to bolt right away vs those types of schools.

I hope you are right but in one year we had one player  bounce to a bigger program and one head to a small school where he could start.  The transfer portal and NIL $ has changed everything.  

18 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

I hope you are right but in one year we had one player  bounce to a bigger program and one head to a small school where he could start.  The transfer portal and NIL $ has changed everything.  

I have no idea what big players (relatively speaking) there would be for NIL, but if we want to stand any chance at all, some initiative needs to get rolling. Yes its football (so cue the jokes), but I saw DJ Irons today basically indicate nobody on the football team is getting anything.

• Thanks 1

While he hasn't yet entered the TP, a player I'm keeping my eye on is current WV Mountaineer sophomore (former Canton McKinley G) Kobe Johnson.  He was one of the better players in NEO his senior year but he hasn't found his footing at WV.  We offered him coming out of HS & maybe he needs a fresh start.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Just now, Reslife4Life said:

Take this with a grain of salt but me and a friend saw Mikal Dawson and Sammy today and asked them if they will be back next season. Dawson replied “we will be back. I think everyone is sticking around” That most likely will change but overall a good sign that no one is itching to get out

Thank you for the positive and helpful post of the day.  Thank you!! 

1 hour ago, Zippy87 said:

Akron's Athletic Department botched the rebrand rollout and doesn't even try with promotions anymore, I'm not holding my breath on them finding NIL opportunities for their student athletes.

There are Zips athletes that already have NIL deals. 

44 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

While he hasn't yet entered the TP, a player I'm keeping my eye on is current WV Mountaineer sophomore (former Canton McKinley G) Kobe Johnson.  He was one of the better players in NEO his senior year but he hasn't found his footing at WV.  We offered him coming out of HS & maybe he needs a fresh start.

Another Kobe and another Johnson will really hurt my brain next fall 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Enrique has at least one NIL deal. I forget what he advertises for. X as well. 

If I'm not mistaken I was listening to an Akron radio broadcast on FB Live and there was a PSA or non-profit "ad" that Enrique voiced. Not sure if that constitutes NIL income.  All that I've seen at ANY mid-major school is athletes with sites selling hoodies, t-shirts and PJs with their logo/face or similar.  Greg Tribble's was nice, and < $20.  

8 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

Take this with a grain of salt but me and a friend saw Mikal Dawson and Sammy today and asked them if they will be back next season. Dawson replied “we will be back. I think everyone is sticking around” That most likely will change but overall a good sign that no one is itching to get out

That’s good to hear. Dawson is really easy to root for. Someone on here mentioned he was considering transferring last offseason.  Glad it doesn’t seem like he’s swaying on his decision to stay.