Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

Talented and proven MAC player? Yes I would take Ali back in a heartbeat. We'd be guaranteed to get much more out of him than we've gotten from a lot of our other transfers, because we've already seen what he can do with our own eyes.

We should ask OU fans if they regret taking Jason Carter back.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Not saying this is happening/will happen, but would you welcome Ali back?

The answer seems pretty obvious. He'd instantly be the 2nd best player on the team and our best perimeter player. This team lacked perimeter shooting even with Castaneda. Remove Castaneda and we're probably (as the roster stands right now) the worst shooting team in the MAC. Anyone who wouldn't take a proven .400 3P% shooter because him leaving hurt their feeling needs to grow up. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The answer seems pretty obvious. He'd instantly be the 2nd best player on the team and our best perimeter player. This team lacked perimeter shooting even with Castaneda. Remove Castaneda and we're probably (as the roster stands right now) the worst shooting team in the MAC. Anyone who wouldn't take a proven .400 3P% shooter because him leaving hurt their feeling needs to grow up. 

I don't think it's about hurt feelings, its about how you see his commitment to a program that requires a full commitment from it's players to succeed.

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't think it's about hurt feelings, its about how you see his commitment to a program that requires a full commitment from it's players to succeed.

Groce started him as a true freshman and I don't recall him ever getting benched. I never questioned his effort on either end of the court when he was here. I don't see why it would suddenly be a concern now.

Just now, kreed5120 said:

Groce started him as a true freshman and I don't recall him ever getting benched. I never questioned his effort on either end of the court when he was here. I don't see why it would suddenly be a concern now.

He did start 11 games.  One pretty big thing happened though between then and now.  Agree to disagree.  I certainly would not be protesting outside of the JAR if he ever decided to return.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

He picked up at Butler right where he left off with Akron. What a stud.

335016050_521570300058399_42938054280472

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I guess I never looked at this box score that much. How on earth did he play that many minutes and grab 1 rebound and only have 1 assist.

Should've had two assists if he passed out to Wynn in the corner instead of going for the hero layup at the end of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

We can make every player in our programs history look horrible if you want to cherry pick stats based on one game. If you want to look at stats for all of his last season season here, Ali was our leader in assists, leader in PPG, leader in 3pt fg%, leader in FG% (excluding Freeman, Aziz, and a couple guys who hardly played), and leader in blocks outside of Aziz and Freeman.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We can make every player in our programs history look horrible if you want to cherry pick stats based on one game. If you want to look at stats for all of his last season season here, Ali was our leader in assists, leader in PPG, leader in 3pt fg%, leader in FG% (excluding Freeman, Aziz, and a couple guys who hardly played), and leader in blocks outside of Aziz and Freeman.

We wouldn't have even made it past Buffalo in the 1st round of the MAC tournament without him, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good story

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not cherry picking 1 game to bury his time as a Zip. He was obviously huge in many games on a team void of depth/talent last year. The post I directly replied to said, "The answer seems pretty obvious.... Anyone who wouldn't take a proven .400 3P% shooter because him leaving hurt their feeling needs to grow up."

The guy no-showed when we absolutely needed him in the NCAA Tournament, then bolted for Butler, with the optics being he thought/thinks he's better than Akron. Since being at Butler, he has seemingly regressed and faded into irrelevancy.

I don't think it's exactly an obvious "yes" to want a player back who no-showed in your biggest game on the national stage and seemingly thought he was too good for our program, yet 75% of his new school's fans probably don't even know who he is. That's my point. It's a silly hypothetical to even debate since he isn't even in the Portal.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm not cherry picking 1 game to bury his time as a Zip. He was obviously huge in many games on a team void of depth/talent last year. The post I directly replied to said, "The answer seems pretty obvious.... Anyone who wouldn't take a proven .400 3P% shooter because him leaving hurt their feeling needs to grow up."

The guy no-showed when we absolutely needed him in the NCAA Tournament, then bolted for Butler, with the optics being he thought/thinks he's better than Akron. Since being at Butler, he has seemingly regressed and faded into irrelevancy.

I don't think it's exactly an obvious "yes" to want a player back who no-showed in your biggest game on the national stage and seemingly thought he was too good for our program, yet 75% of his new school's fans probably don't even know who he is. That's my point. It's a silly hypothetical to even debate since he isn't even in the Portal.

This is just you projecting. The rumor was he transferred to be closer to his family and girlfriend, not because he thought he was too good for Akron. 

Yes, he regressed with Butler in a year where he missed the preseason and the first month of the season due to injury. While also learning a new offense with a new coach and facing stiffer competition. He's not the first person to transfer up and regress. He certainly won't be the last.

In Groce system, he showed he can be an All-MAC caliber player. To me that's much more relevant than how he performed at Butler. Effort can only get you so far. You saw that this year when we showed we just didn't have what it took to beat Kent and were vastly exposed against Toledo. We're losing arguably our best player. I'm not saying Ali is as good as Castaneda, but he can certainly give us ~75% of what Castaneda did, which makes stomaching the loss more manageable. 

Edit: At the end of the day as a fan, I want to see Akron do well. IMO an Akron team with Ali is going to be much better than one without him. That to me is why I said it's obvious. 

Edited by kreed5120