Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/shammah-scott/7224

Recent entry. Shaker Heights guy, recruited previously by Akron. Didn’t put up any special numbers and may be more of a project than a plug and play, but someone I would keep an eye on. Pink Fraud will likely be in contact too, as he’ll be chasing the next Carry caliber player starting very soon. 

Saxby Sunderland, a freshman guard from ECU has entered

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5106049/saxby-sunderland

Not much going in his freshman year with the Pirates. Wound up picking up quite a few D1 offers out of high school, including Akron back in August 2020. Unproven college guy, could be on Akron's radar again.

11 minutes ago, 3rd&twenty said:

ScreenShot2023-03-15at4_12_56PM.thumb.png.700aff069667abfd46bcc00539339f23.png

Quit. Recruiting. High. Schoolers. And. Redshirting. Them.

@NWAkron I see your confused reaction emote, so I'll explain. 

We got nothing out of Mosengo. This team needed another bigger body, another scoring threat, and we have no idea if Mosengo would've filled either of those needs. Instead, he got a year of free education, free physical development, free basketball knowledge, etc., all on the University's dime, and now he's going to take all of that elsewhere. In the era of the open Transfer Portal, if a high schooler isn't expected to contribute at least a little bit from day 1, that scholarship would be better used on a more experienced Transfer who would then be locked into the Akron jersey for multiple years unless he wants to sit out a year. I don't understand redshirt anyone in this era of the Portal. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Confused 1

Just now, 3rd&twenty said:

ScreenShot2023-03-15at4_12_56PM.thumb.png.700aff069667abfd46bcc00539339f23.png

Thank you for sharing. My thought back when they landed Prince was that they only grabbed him to fill up a scholarship late with the losses of Ali and Aziz. I was thinking Tavari would be redshirted with Prather, but the loss of rotation guys brought a need for Tavari to fill some holes in the rotation, even if not a forward like the other guys. 

I watched Mosengo in pregame shoot around a few times (wayyyy before the game) and he seemed like a hard worker. He took a lot of perimeter shots with varied success. He looks the part in D1, that is for sure. 

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

Thank you for sharing. My thought back when they landed Prince was that they only grabbed him to fill up a scholarship late with the losses of Ali and Aziz. I was thinking Tavari would be redshirted with Prather, but the loss of rotation guys brought a need for Tavari to fill some holes in the rotation, even if not a forward like the other guys. 

I watched Mosengo in pregame shoot around a few times (wayyyy before the game) and he seemed like a hard worker. He took a lot of perimeter shots with varied success. He looks the part in D1, that is for sure. 

Is his decision one i should respect?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

We got nothing out of Mosengo. This team needed another bigger body, another scoring threat, and we have no idea if Mosengo would've filled either of those needs. Instead, he got a year of free education, free physical development, free basketball knowledge, etc., all on the University's dime, and now he's going to take all of that elsewhere. In the era of the open Transfer Portal, if a high schooler isn't expected to contribute at least a little bit from day 1, that scholarship would be better used on a more experienced Transfer who would then be locked into the Akron jersey for multiple years unless he wants to sit out a year. I don't understand redshirt anyone in this era of the Portal. 

If Groce thought Mosengo or Prather would have been able to help the team this year they would have played. There is no more stashing players away for the future as redshirt's.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

If Groce thought Mosengo or Prather would have been able to help the team this year they would have played. There is no more stashing players away for the future as redshirt's.

Exactly my point. We could have used Mosengo's scholarship on a transfer that would've been able to help the team this year. Prather had some health stuff if I recall that hindered his preparation for the season, correct?

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ok.  I understand now.  I wasn't that familiar with Mosengo or his situation.

Transfers are a two way street. In order to get someone that can come in and be a key contributor day 1, that player has to also want to come to Akron. Like I'm sure Groce would have loved to have gotten a 6'6-6'7 wing that could score double figures and guard positions 1-4 to replace Ali, but the problem is all schools want those type of players. Many of which are more enticing destinations for 20 year olds who don't even know where Akron is on a map.

Sometimes you're forced to have to take a lotto ticket on guys to fill out the roster and hope they develop into something special. Groce can't hand pick his roster like a Gonzaga, Kentucky, or Kansas can. He has to look at what's available and fight for the guys who fall through the cracks.

• Like 2

You recruit a kid to play basketball.  He never sets a foot on the court.  And at the end of the season you tell him he as no future and tell him to transfer.  How does that meet the definition of student athlete?  How do we know if this kid might be a late bloomer and be an all conference his junior or senior team?  I know this is the current situation in college basketball with the transfer portal but it is almost like we are exploiting some of these players if they do not produce their first year.  

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Transfers are a two way street. In order to get someone that can come in and be a key contributor day 1, that player has to also want to come to Akron. Like I'm sure Groce would have loved to have gotten a 6'6-6'7 wing that could score double figures and guard positions 1-4 to replace Ali, but the problem is all schools want those type of players. Many of which are more enticing destinations for 20 year olds who don't even know where Akron is on a map.

Sometimes you're forced to have to take a lotto ticket on guys to fill out the roster and hope they develop into something special. Groce can't hand pick his roster like a Gonzaga, Kentucky, or Kansas can. He has to look at what's available and fight for the guys who fall through the cracks.

Recruiting a high school player only to redshirt him in today's age is like buying a lottery ticket and putting it in the junk drawer, potentially to never look at it again. Look at Aziz - he was pretty raw last year (probably could've redshirted) but contributed enough to make a decent impact. He left and looks like he might be something special, but at least you got something out of him for a year; at least you got a few dollars back on your lottery ticket purchase. 

Not knowing what we might've had in Mosengo is puzzle. Using a scholarship on him instead of something who would've helped more than Mosengo ended up helping us is just plain frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Recruiting a high school player only to redshirt him in today's age is like buying a lottery ticket and putting it in the junk drawer, potentially to never look at it again. Look at Aziz - he was pretty raw last year (probably could've redshirted) but contributed enough to make a decent impact. He left and looks like he might be something special, but at least you got something out of him for a year; at least you got a few dollars back on your lottery ticket purchase. 

Not knowing what we might've had in Mosengo is puzzle. Using a scholarship on him instead of something who would've helped more than Mosengo ended up helping us is just plain frustrating.

There was a whole offseason of team workouts that Groce had to evaluate Mosengo. As @Hilltopper said, if at team practices he thought Mosengo was good enough to play, he would have played. Groce has had no problem playing true freshman who he thought could contribute. He redshirts the guys who after seeing them in practice, determines they're not good enough to see the court.

I do agree with your premise that a transfer that can play today is better than a raw freshman if you have the choice between the two. The problem is when you're sitting on an empty scholarship and there is no mutual interest between you and whatever players are left in the portal. You're not just going to let a scholarship go unused.

Edited by kreed5120

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My guess is that Groce would tell us all that in order to win everyone on the team has to commit and participate and contribute for the team. Not seeing an athlete on court or field doesn't necessarily mean they didn't contribute. 

Just think about Dawson, he didn't play a minute this season, and he will have no stats to turn to but you can't tell me he didn't help this team.

I respect Mosengo for his decision and wish him well. And I am grateful for what he did bring to the table, even if I didn't see it first hand or everyday like I could with the starters.

There are not any student athletes on this team that are not contributing.  Between this young man and I imagine the coaching staff they have connected enough and now he is looking for advancement elsewhere.  Power to him and many thanks for being part of the team this year. They were a he'll of a fun team to watch. 

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Nate Johnson was  a red shirt and his upside is huge.  Some kids aren’t ready to play right out of high school just as some transfers aren’t ready to come in and contribute (or adjust to a new team).  I’m sure the fans at Trimble Jr’s or Virshon Cotton’s last stops are writing that their coaches should stop taking transfers.  

I don’t have all the answers or inside info so I have to trust that Groce is making the best decisions he can.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a great point that was brought up above, Akron won’t be scraping the bottom of the barrel for transfers, but they also wont necessarily be recruiting and/or landing guys that were studs at the schools they left. 

Off the top of my head, we’ve had XCast and XWill, Bryan Trimble, Maishe Dailey, LCJ, Deng Riak, Sammy, Hankerson, among others. Considering the numbers those guys put up at their last schools—save for Hankerson as a proven 3&D MAC graduate, you’re generally at this level going to be taking a shot in the dark. You hit, and you miss. Every once in a while, you’ll find a guy like Carry who’s a slam dunk talent, Dennis to a lesser extent but still a sure thing. Maybe throw Jason Carter in there. But a lot of the time, reality is a guy like Castaneda, who was rather forgettable for a lot of his first year with Akron. 

Groce recruits a very specific type of player—attitude, effort, defense. Yes, there are a lot of names in the portal. But you trim that down by flat out ability to play at this level, ability to guard, and are they a head case, and the number gets a lot smaller. Groce has missed his fair share, but he’s also used it to propel the program to some titles. My suggestion is to be cautiously optimistic no matter who he brings in during this cycle. Akron basketball can be a big adjustment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NWAkron said:

Yes, the coaching staff isn't looking for players who will have an "immediate impact."  They obviously prefer recruits who will languish for a couple of years. 

I mean, it's true that they're not always looking at immediate impact players when recruiting HS players. Many true freshman players aren't ready physically and/or skills-wise to make an immediate impact and that's ok. You still take shots on those guys in certain spots.

I just thought, given who we had lost and given how young we already were, that a transfer would've been better than Mosengo. It is what it is - you're not going to hit on every recruiting decision.

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

You recruit a kid to play basketball.  He never sets a foot on the court.  And at the end of the season you tell him he as no future and tell him to transfer.  How does that meet the definition of student athlete?  How do we know if this kid might be a late bloomer and be an all conference his junior or senior team?

He played basketball and went to school so he is a student athlete. 

Never steps foot on the court during a game, but steps foot every day during practice. During practice he proves he shouldn't step foot on the court during a game. 

You never know. That's the risk, but I trust the coaching staff to make a calculated guess. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

You recruit a kid to play basketball.  He never sets a foot on the court.  And at the end of the season you tell him he as no future and tell him to transfer.  How does that meet the definition of student athlete?  How do we know if this kid might be a late bloomer and be an all conference his junior or senior team?  I know this is the current situation in college basketball with the transfer portal but it is almost like we are exploiting some of these players if they do not produce their first year.  

If Lyles got minutes ahead of him and looked as lost as he did, I don’t see the potential or the willingness to improve.