Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

I don't understand why people are so up in arms about him leaving after not playing a minute, I am sure John Groce, who I consider to be a very good basketball coach, looked at plenty of options in the portal. There is a lot of factors that go into getting a guy to transfer to a mid major program, making sure he's the right fit, having him actually buy into the program and also make sure he is not a problem off the court. That's what his teams are built on, there was no reason to go out and get say another Trimble just because they could. They had an open scholarship and chose to throw it at a kid who maybe stuck around and would get to his potential but it didn't work out, after seeing what Enrique has become you truly never know who could fall into your lap. Main thing is, all major contributors on this years team with remaining eligibility are coming back as of now, it frees up a scholarship if the right fit does come around from the portal. Wish Prince the best and hope he finds a good home and has a solid career. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Quit. Recruiting. High. Schoolers. And. Redshirting. Them.

@NWAkron I see your confused reaction emote, so I'll explain. 

We got nothing out of Mosengo. This team needed another bigger body, another scoring threat, and we have no idea if Mosengo would've filled either of those needs. Instead, he got a year of free education, free physical development, free basketball knowledge, etc., all on the University's dime, and now he's going to take all of that elsewhere. In the era of the open Transfer Portal, if a high schooler isn't expected to contribute at least a little bit from day 1, that scholarship would be better used on a more experienced Transfer who would then be locked into the Akron jersey for multiple years unless he wants to sit out a year. I don't understand redshirt anyone in this era of the Portal. 

We don't need to have an idea. The coaches sure do, and they deemed him not ready to play this year. Also, Mosengo is probably thankful he has four full years of eligibility left vs playing five minutes a night and burning a year of eligibility.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Quit. Recruiting. High. Schoolers. And. Redshirting. Them.

@NWAkron I see your confused reaction emote, so I'll explain. 

We got nothing out of Mosengo. This team needed another bigger body, another scoring threat, and we have no idea if Mosengo would've filled either of those needs. Instead, he got a year of free education, free physical development, free basketball knowledge, etc., all on the University's dime, and now he's going to take all of that elsewhere. In the era of the open Transfer Portal, if a high schooler isn't expected to contribute at least a little bit from day 1, that scholarship would be better used on a more experienced Transfer who would then be locked into the Akron jersey for multiple years unless he wants to sit out a year. I don't understand redshirt anyone in this era of the Portal. 

We don't need to have an idea. The coaches sure do, and they deemed him not ready to play this year. Also, Mosengo is probably thankful he has four full years of eligibility left vs playing five minutes a night and burning a year of eligibility.

In order to have effective practices you need multiple players at every position. You don't want your key players banging on each other day after day. Coaches bring in guys with potential to fill the role of practice opponents. Often these guys have attributes like size or speed but are not very polished. Sometimes these players seize this opportunity and impress the coaches enough to warrant future playing time. Sometimes they never progress. This is the way we got Freeman.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Toledo's EJ Farmer and Ball State's Luke Bumbalough have entered. Both rotation guys, not massive losses by any means.

Bumbalough reminds me of the New Girl episode where Jessica Day "Biden's" at the wedding - she's just always there.

Bumbalough never did much for Balls, but he was always there. His name was always being mentioned without much to show for it. 

Just now, ZIPS96 said:

Ball State C Payton Sparks has entered the transfer portal. verbalcommits.com/players/payton…

The situation was getting dark and dire at Over the Pylon.  This should send them heading to the White River.  Sparks transferred out last season and then came back once Lewis was hired.  And now this...red flags all over the place.

49 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Some of his numbers as a freshman

10.8ppg, 2.2 AST/TO, 40.6% from three. 

Just wonder if he can play defense and how good of a teammate he is. They were a bad Sun Belt team, but he was quite efficient. 

I see he went to Victory Rock Prep

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 10:24 PM, Blue & Gold said:

While he hasn't yet entered the TP, a player I'm keeping my eye on is current WV Mountaineer sophomore (former Canton McKinley G) Kobe Johnson.  He was one of the better players in NEO his senior year but he hasn't found his footing at WV.  We offered him coming out of HS & maybe he needs a fresh start.

Kobe got zero minutes today in WVU's tourney game vs. Maryland. I'd be shocked if he doesn't transfer.  

Kaleb Thornton, a solid defensive guard from NIU has entered

Jalen Windham of Ball State joining Sparks in the portal. He was quiet for a lot of the year until he lit up Akron a couple weeks ago. The tape from that game alone may get him a nice roster spot somewhere.