Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

15 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

That sounds familiar. So that would be a new permanent rule change then. I thought it was just a COVID adjustment. Thanks. 

I think the covid adjustment was just that it gave everyone 1 extra year of eligibility. The 1 time free transfer rule I'm pretty sure was put into place permanently 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Kobe is the first D1 player to enter the portal today! He's a great example of how recruiting is a game of odds. Obviously the coaching staff is going to try to "hit" on every signee, but reality is, there are some winners and some losers. When recruiting Ali Ali, for example, they knew they were taking a shot on him, but felt comfortable enough to do so considering how the roster was shaping up. When they were recruiting during Kobe's cycle, I'd be willing to bet that they were much more sure on Nate Johnson than Kobe. Best case scenario, you hit on both and they become big contributors. Worst case scenario, you miss on both and then you're in some trouble. Most likely scenario, you shoot 50%.

The speed of the game was something that Kobe just couldn't catch up to. His lone breakout game came against Miami, in which he was very important to picking up that W. When he got minutes early in the year, his effort defensively was not there and he was lost. When he got minutes during league play, you could finally see that effort and he played really hard. Offensively he struggled because he was almost pressing so hard defensively that when he caught the ball he'd panic or rush a shot. I wish him the best, but like the coaching staff probably agrees, this is best for his future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Good call. By the way, Terrance Ford just sounds like a MAC guard that averages 17.8 ppg and 6 apg.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Kobe got zero minutes today in WVU's tourney game vs. Maryland. I'd be shocked if he doesn't transfer.  

Would be very surprised to see him not enter as well, have had that thought in my mind for the last couple months since I haven't seen him get major minutes at any point. I had the pleasure/displeasure of playing against him in HS, dude can flat out ball but was still surprised WVU threw him an offer, don't blame him for taking it. Always thought he would be a quality piece at Mid major level. 

• Like 1

Its like this board thinks just like the coaching staff. Refreshing for sure. I like Garvin, but probably not a complete and consistent enough player for a program like Akron. Thanks for his contributions and hope he finds success as his new home.

At this point, I personally hope we don't lose anyone else. If I had to pick 3 from the roster to look for a better fit, the three who are leaving are it.

• Like 7

Good luck to Garvin.  I don't think any of his shortcomings were a result of a lack of effort.  I think he could have been a solid backup point guard for the Zips which holds some value but I am not losing any sleep over his loss.   On a positive note, it may increase the chances of Tavari's return.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good luck to Garvin.  I don't think any of his shortcomings were a result of a lack of effort.  I think he could have been a solid backup point guard for the Zips which holds some value but I am not losing any sleep over his loss.   On a positive note, it may increase the chances of Tavari's return.

Garvin experienced a conference tournament championship and a trip to March Madness.  During the MAC tourney he made some solid contributions.  However, for the level the coaching staff wants to achieve he wasn't on par with his teammates.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see what Groce does with the 3 extra scholarships that have opened up. Getting a 1 or 2 guard is by far the most important thing for this team right now. I would think it would have to be an appetizing situation for transfers with guys like Freeman, Hunter, and Dawson bringing experience and a damn good frontcourt back next year.

I am hoping/thinking Groce and Company release players into the portal in order of the least productive and as replacements are landed. Which would mean they might already have two players lined up and believe they can make the team better yet. We didn't get to see much of Kobe Mitchell and Prince Mosengo, but we did have an idea of Garvin Clarke's value. So his release should give us a gage of how the recruiting process is playing out behind the scenes. My theory anyway.

• Like 1

I always really liked Garvin. He was extremely important in the run to close out last year. His contributions as a freshman during the 2021 covid year were very impressive, but he did kind of plateau. His title game against Kent and then first game against Kent this year were awesome. He’ll have a nice roll of tape to sell to programs in need of a solid guard. Best wishes to him. 

• Like 1

Just now, roopride said:

Like to know how this works. Garvin decide to leave on his own?  I would have thought he knew he would get playing time. Unless we already have a replacement guard and he was aware.

I assume maybe he wanted to be starting PG and Groce told him that would be Tavari or transfer guard and his minutes would be 5-15 and he wants a bigger role.