Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

My guess is 2 immediate impact guards and a high school big likely to red shirt. 

I'm really hoping for 3 immediate impact players - one immediate impact front court player in addition to 2 guards

As we currently sit I'm apprehensive about our bigs:

Freeman - an all-time Zips great

Sammy - stretch 4 who really likes to hang out around the 3-point arc

Amani - nice potential but only averaged 2 PPG & 1 RPG (GoZips.com a mess. It took me 5 minutes to find the stats.)

Baker - will be a true freshman

Marvin - will be a true freshman

On the other hand, Enrique is probably going to average as many minutes as he wants next year, so maybe relying on Amani is sufficient to simply fill in while Enrique catches his breath?

• Like 3

Just now, Illini Zip said:

A bit strange that Garvin Clarke helped recruit Sammy Hunter with the Bahamas connection and now Garvin is leaving.

It is. I like Garvin but I feel this is going to be a win-win.  Garvin's a nice, solid player but just not quite at the upper-MAC level. We'll almost certainly land a more consistent scorer and he'll transfer to a lower major & get more PT & be able to develop more, e.g., Josh Williams.  (Josh was a guard on the Zips team a few years prior to Groce's arrival.)

On 3/18/2023 at 6:38 PM, NWAkron said:

Markeese Hastings from WMU entered the portal. One of the better players for the Broncos.

According to VerbalCommits.com Markeese was at Butler before transferring to WMU so, unfortunately, he's going to have to sit out a year.  ...Unless he's a grad transfer?... 

My dream scenario is adding one big and two guards, all immediate-impact. I'll be really disappointed if any of these go to a HS player...this team has pieces to win now in what I think may be a down year for the conference overall - go all in and go for it.

Hunter/Lyles/Mosengo (or Baker)

Dawson/Johnson/Prather Jr.

Freeman/Transfer

Transfer/Tribble

Transfer/Johnson

If you hit on the transfers (big "if") that's a potentially really good squad.

5 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

My dream scenario is adding one big and two guards, all immediate-impact. I'll be really disappointed if any of these go to a HS player...this team has pieces to win now in what I think may be a down year for the conference overall - go all in and go for it.

Hunter/Lyles/Mosengo (or Baker)

Dawson/Johnson/Prather Jr.

Freeman/Transfer

Transfer/Tribble

Transfer/Johnson

If you hit on the transfers (big "if") that's a potentially really good squad.

Mosengo transferred.

The key to next year's success is having at least 2 scorers emerge. Whether that's the transfers, returning young players like Tavari/Nate/Prather Jr., or a combination, we need 2 guys that can consistently give us double digits along with Freeman. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm really hoping for 3 immediate impact players - one immediate impact front court player in addition to 2 guards

As we currently sit I'm apprehensive about our bigs:

Freeman - an all-time Zips great

Sammy - stretch 4 who really likes to hang out around the 3-point arc

Amani - nice potential but only averaged 2 PPG & 1 RPG (GoZips.com a mess. It took me 5 minutes to find the stats.)

Baker - will be a true freshman

Marvin - will be a true freshman

On the other hand, Enrique is probably going to average as many minutes as he wants next year, so maybe relying on Amani is sufficient to simply fill in while Enrique catches his breath?

Agreed.  The other aspect to this in bringing in a big is that if he's going to start he'll need to be an "unconventional" big as I can't see the Zips jamming up the inside with 2 guys without range.  Somebody like Xeyrius who could play the 4 and has range who could also slide over when Enrique goes to the bench would be ideal.  It was my hope that Hunter was this guy but...   

The other option would be a traditional big who would primarily come off of the bench.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Agreed.  The other aspect to this in bringing in a big is that if he's going to start he'll need to be an "unconventional" big as I can't see the Zips jamming up the inside with 2 guys without range.  Somebody like Xeyrius who could play the 4 and has range who could also slide over when Enrique goes to the bench would be ideal.  It was my hope that Hunter was this guy but...   

The other option would be a traditional big who would primarily come off of the bench.

I've thought about using Sammy Hunter as more of a 3, essentially as an outside threat. He doesn't provide much rebounding or rim protection as a 4 but had some good games outside shooting. If you can find a 4 who can play inside but also has range, that'd be pretty huge.

Just now, Zippy87 said:

I've thought about using Sammy Hunter as more of a 3, essentially as an outside threat. He doesn't provide much rebounding or rim protection as a 4 but had some good games outside shooting. If you can find a 4 who can play inside but also has range, that'd be pretty huge.

My  concern with that would be him potentially having to cover a 3 on the other end of the floor.  He doesn't seem to have much lateral quickness.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:28 PM, LoyalZIP said:

https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/shammah-scott/7224

Recent entry. Shaker Heights guy, recruited previously by Akron. Didn’t put up any special numbers and may be more of a project than a plug and play, but someone I would keep an eye on. Pink Fraud will likely be in contact too, as he’ll be chasing the next Carry caliber player starting very soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2022-23 (Sophomore):
Junior college point guard helped Northwest Florida State College to an NJCAA national title last spring... First name pronounced "Shem-MAW."... Shooter and playmaker who controls the pace of the game... Has three seasons of eligibility remaining.

Isaac Brown on Scott:
“With this last scholarship, we were looking for another shooter or playmaker. Shammah is both of those things. He’s a big point guard who knows how to run a team, and he can really stroke it. We’re excited to have him.”

Junior College:
Qualified academically out of high school but opted for a season of junior college ball at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Fla...  Drew interest from North Texas, Akron, Kent State and Cleveland State but ultimately signed with the Shockers... Announced his commitment on July 29, 2022... Coached by former Shocker assistant Greg Heiar... In 33 games, averaged 6.8 points, made 29 threes on 47.5 percent accuracy and sported a 1.7 assist-to-turnover ratio.... Helped his team to 31 wins and the NJCAA Division I national title... Earned second team all-conference honors.

High School:
Graduate of Shaker Heights High School... As a senior, averaged 14.4 points and 2.1 steals for a  team that advanced to the Ohio state quarterfinals before COVID-19 put a stop to postseason play.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

Just now, Illini Zip said:

Not sure what is going on with Wichita State, but they had 8 players transfer out last year and another 4 players hit the portal this year. 

The Gregg Marshall aftermath. They fired Marshall's replacement and just hired Oral Roberts' coach. 

Shammah is from Shaker Heights HS. Looks promising from his Junior College time. Minimal action in his only year at Wichita. 3 years of eligibility left. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The Gregg Marshall aftermath. They fired Marshall's replacement and just hired Oral Roberts' coach. 

Shammah is from Shaker Heights HS. Looks promising from his Junior College time. Minimal action in his only year at Wichita. 3 years of eligibility left. 

I think he has two years