Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

4 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Scott (#1 red) vs. Clarke (#1 gold) in high school. 

Definitely looks like the talent is there. Not real crazy about the attitude being exhibited. I associate that more with our primary rival. Hopefully there has been growth in terms of maturity since the time this video was taken.

• Like 2

NCAA just released a new set of transfer guidelines when applying for a waiver to transfer a second time.

Applications for a second transfer due to a coaching change will be DENIED. 

I guess the NCAA quickly realized the transfer portal is helping the G5s more than they thought. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

NCAA just released a new set of transfer guidelines when applying for a waiver to transfer a second time.

Applications for a second transfer due to a coaching change will be DENIED. 

I guess the NCAA quickly realized the transfer portal is helping the G5s more than they thought. 

Or it prevents poaching and mid majors or any school from losing too many of their players.   

Scott's career numbers: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/5106652/shammah-scott

Xavier Castaneda's career numbers: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4396641/xavier-castaneda

As I said last week, recruiting the portal for schools like Akron is not quite as easy as a P5 school. Any player that puts up significant numbers at a mid major, or even high major, will land at a big school. That's just the way it is. The one exception in the MAC has been Sincere Carry, who was not even being recruited by Pink Fraud until he gave Pinky a call one day and said he wanted to play where his girlfriend plays. Reality is, sometimes you'll get a Maishe Dailey, sometimes you'll get a Xeyrius Williams, sometimes an LCJ, sometimes a Trimble. I like this pickup, I think it's got a lot of potential. And the connection makes sense. 

My biggest question now is what kind of piece will the staff go after next?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Scott's career numbers: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/5106652/shammah-scott

Xavier Castaneda's career numbers: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4396641/xavier-castaneda

As I said last week, recruiting the portal for schools like Akron is not quite as easy as a P5 school. Any player that puts up significant numbers at a mid major, or even high major, will land at a big school. That's just the way it is. The one exception in the MAC has been Sincere Carry, who was not even being recruited by Pink Fraud until he gave Pinky a call one day and said he wanted to play where his girlfriend plays. Reality is, sometimes you'll get a Maishe Dailey, sometimes you'll get a Xeyrius Williams, sometimes an LCJ, sometimes a Trimble. I like this pickup, I think it's got a lot of potential. And the connection makes sense. 

Yes, I feel role players like a Hankerson or Cochran are easier to pluck and there certainly is value in doing so. They have shown the ability to play in the MAC and by taking them, you're weakening your competition.

That said a roster full of Hankerson's or Cochran's aren't going to win you the MAC. You need a few legitimate studs so you have to bring in some guys who have high ceilings.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's definitely a mixed bag. It has helped some mid-majors, like Akron. It has buried other mid-majors, like NIU or CMU.

CMU & NIU were buried long before the open Transfer Portal. Most schools that failed to establish a winning culture expectation will continue to suffer - open portal or not. 

Blocking kids from transferring if a coach leaves is criminal and I believe this is only the first tightening on restrictions we will see as FBS Football/DI Basketball becomes more competitive. 

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Blocking kids from transferring if a coach leaves is criminal and I believe this is only the first tightening on restrictions we will see as FBS Football/DI Basketball becomes more competitive. 

Its not blocking them from transferring, its blocking them from transferring a second time AND being granted immediate eligibility. If you haven't transferred already or if you're a grad transfer, it doesn't affect you at all. Will make kids think twice about transferring just because or transferring to a school whose coach is on the hot seat. I'm okay with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GJGood said:

Definitely looks like the talent is there. Not real crazy about the attitude being exhibited. I associate that more with our primary rival. Hopefully there has been growth in terms of maturity since the time this video was taken.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.  16 or 17 year old kid playing a rival in a charged environment. Plus, a year of not being the guy tends to humble one a bit.  Also, having seen the type of kids Groce  has generally recruited to UA outside of that first season, I'm going to trust he's gotten to know this kid. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

CMU & NIU were buried long before the open Transfer Portal. Most schools that failed to establish a winning culture expectation will continue to suffer - open portal or not. 

Burried before meant they hovered around 150-200 in rankings. Now CMU is ranked 329 out of 363 teams. It has definitely widened the gap even at the mid-major level between the haves and have nots. Akron seems to benefit from it so I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

I certainly agree with you here that players should be able to transfer without penalty if a coach leaves.

Edited by kreed5120

My thought if that the middle aged guy who recruited you can bail and move without restriction (and actually financially benefit) the 20-year kid player should be able to immediately transfer and play.  I'm not at all a fan of the transient nature of today's athletes, but I think it's only fair to give the kids the benefit that the coaches have.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.  16 or 17 year old kid playing a rival in a charged environment. Plus, a year of not being the guy tends to humble one a bit.  Also, having seen the type of kids Groce  has generally recruited to UA outside of that first season, I'm going to trust he's gotten to know this kid. 

The fact that he was recruited previously tells me the coaching staff has known him for quite some time. This wasn't a situation where they saw some guy named Shammah pop up in the portal and a GA googled him. As soon as he entered, I'm positive Ford, Fulford, or Pridgen sent him a text. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My thought if that the middle aged guy who recruited you can bail and move without restriction (and actually financially benefit) the 20-year kid player should be able to immediately transfer and play.  I'm not at all a fan of the transient nature of today's athletes, but I think it's only fair to give the kids the benefit that the coaches have.

FWIW, the coach actually does have restriction for taking another job. The catch is that their new employer is the one who pays for their buy out.

Kids now get to transfer up to twice in their 4-5 year college careers without penalty. I have no problem with requiring them to be thoughtful about it and using it strategically/when the situation really warrants it, rather than transferring because they didn't play much as a freshman or their team stinks. My understanding is they still have the ability to transfer down a level and not sit out at all if playing for a coach who didn't recruit you is that insufferable.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

I see a player who can create for himself and has a quick release. Works for me. I am thinking he starts out at the off-guard position, but in time likely plays all 3 guard spots. 

If he played one year at a Juco and one at Wichita State he has 3 years of eligibility left, correct?

Just now, Illini Zip said:

I see a player who can create for himself and has a quick release. Works for me. I am thinking he starts out at the off-guard position, but in time likely plays all 3 guard spots. 

If he played one year at a Juco and one at Wichita State he has 3 years of eligibility left, correct?

3 years including a redshirt year sounds correct, but I hope we don't have to use that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Its not blocking them from transferring, its blocking them from transferring a second time AND being granted immediate eligibility. If you haven't transferred already or if you're a grad transfer, it doesn't affect you at all. Will make kids think twice about transferring just because or transferring to a school whose coach is on the hot seat. I'm okay with it.

Transferring and transferring again is a semantics issue that's largely irrelevant when talking about a coaching change. 

FDU for example. Guy is hired 10 months ago. He is now taking the Iona job (as he should; he was making $40k at FDU). Let's say he wanted to make an immediate impact and hit the Transfer Portal hard to build the FDU program quickly. They have success, then he bolts for Iona. Those players who transferred in would be forced to stay at FDU.

Schools are a dime a dozen. Good coaches, chemistry with coaches - that's more rare. Coaching changes should easily be accepted as a secpnd-transfrr waiver reason.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94