Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

So Shammah Scott has committed. We've "reached out" to Bello, Terrance Ford (Ark. St.), and Kaleb Thornton (NIU). The Zips were not on Zid Powell's (UB) list of schools who have reached out. I've searched Twitter for more, but that's all I have come up with so far. 

I think the Zips should require them to grow 4 to 5 inches if they decide to come to Akron.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

22-23 GLIAC Player of the Year

Chicago kid. 6' 170 lbs. Averaged 19 ppg at the halfway point this season (no idea what he finished at). Charleston being in on him is promising for his potential. Don't know enough about him for the needle to move either way, but trying to find DII talent ready for the DI level is smart (look at Toledo and JT Shumate).

Edit: Just watched a highlight video. Takeaways...

- Looks like he is bigger than the old 6' 170 lbs metrics

- Twitchy/Explosive. Handles well, moves quick with the ball, gets to the basket well, finishes well, and gets into his shooting motion quickly. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

10 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Chicago kid. 6' 170 lbs. Averaged 19 ppg at the halfway point this season (no idea what he finished at). Charleston being in on him is promising for his potential. Don't know enough about him for the needle to move either way, but trying to find DII talent ready for the DI level is smart (look at Toledo and JT Shumate).

Edit: Just watched a highlight video. Takeaways...

- Looks like he is bigger than the old 6' 170 lbs metrics

- Twitchy/Explosive. Handles well, moves quick with the ball, gets to the basket well, finishes well, and gets into his shooting motion quickly. 

Twitchy is a great adjective. Afraid I’m going to have to steal that one. Ha!!

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Transferring and transferring again is a semantics issue that's largely irrelevant when talking about a coaching change. 

FDU for example. Guy is hired 10 months ago. He is now taking the Iona job (as he should; he was making $40k at FDU). Let's say he wanted to make an immediate impact and hit the Transfer Portal hard to build the FDU program quickly. They have success, then he bolts for Iona. Those players who transferred in would be forced to stay at FDU.

Schools are a dime a dozen. Good coaches, chemistry with coaches - that's more rare. Coaching changes should easily be accepted as a secpnd-transfrr waiver reason.

Thing here is, Iona (pre-Pitino at least) wasn't a promotion over Fairleigh Dickinson. Not sure how IU gets alot more $$ for coaches (rich Catholic alumni? 😁)  My only past knowledge of FDU was seeing them beat Hipsher's team for 7th place in a tournament in Honolulu in 2000, and that the Adidas 3-Star camp used to be held there -- Sonny Vaccaro & Co.

Edited by Z.I.P.

25 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Thing here is, Iona (pre-Pitino at least) wasn't a promotion over Fairleigh Dickinson. Not sure how IU gets alot more $$ for coaches (rich Catholic alumni? 😁)  My only past knowledge of FDU was seeing them beat Hipsher's team for 7th place in a tournament in Honolulu in 2000, and that the Adidas 3-Star camp used to be held there -- Sonny Vaccaro & Co.

Iona is a pretty big step up. 6 figure job and established tournament presence. 

2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Iona is a pretty big step up. 6 figure job and established tournament presence. 

2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023

Don't know much about the FDU coach but he didn't win the conference tournament.  Coached a huge upset and lost next round.  More than likely lightning in a bottle 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Don't know much about the FDU coach but he didn't win the conference tournament.  Coached a huge upset and lost next round.  More than likely lightning in a bottle 

He inherited a 4-22 team then had them winning 20+ games in his first year. Frankly, I feel 1 season is too small of a sample to judge how good of a D1 coach he'll end up being. That said, even if you take the Purdue upset away, adding 16 additional wins year-over-year is a hell of an accomplishment.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

He inherited a 4-22 team then had them winning 20+ games in his first year. Frankly, I feel 1 season is too small of a sample to judge how good of a D1 coach he'll end up being. That said, even if you take away the Purdue upset away, adding 16 additional wins year-over-year is a hell of an accomplishment.

Especially considering they were the shortest team in the country and half the team came with him from DII ball. 

I'm not sure how successful he'll be at Iona, but congrats to him on no longer making $40k to coach DI basketball. Seems like a good guy and got his team to buy into a style that led to the biggest upset in NCAA history. 

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

6 years ago...And he still has eligibility...?  Only in CBB 2023. 😵

Six years out of highschool I had a Masters Degree. You'd had to have zero job offers in order to continue down what is a pointless path at this juncture in life. It's just very childish at some point. Imagine having almost zero in common with your teammates because of the age difference. 

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Noticed that Maceo Austin entered the portal. KD was recruiting him to be a Zip out of high school. 

I checked the dukes 2022-2023 roster and he was not listed.  I saw an article where he entered the portal and it was dated 2021.  However, as a guy in his sixties and looking back, if I had a chance to spend 2 more years in college, sign me up.  (LOL)    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

Six years out of highschool I had a Masters Degree. You'd had to have zero job offers in order to continue down what is a pointless path at this juncture in life. It's just very childish at some point. Imagine having almost zero in common with your teammates because of the age difference. 

I wouldn't deal in absolutes. Reports are Bacot, at UNC, is getting $1 million dollars in NIL to return. That's more than he would make playing in the D-league, overseas, or working whatever job his major is in.

• Like 1

Looking at Ford's twitter, he hasn't "announced" any offer from Akron and isn't followed on twitter by any of the Akron assistants. I could be wrong, but generally those are pretty good indicators of interest level. I'd be surprised if he came here. He's got his fair share of suitors, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Looking at Ford's twitter, he hasn't "announced" any offer from Akron and isn't followed on twitter by any of the Akron assistants. I could be wrong, but generally those are pretty good indicators of interest level. I'd be surprised if he came here. He's got his fair share of suitors, that's for sure. 

💯 The only reason he's on our radar here is because LCJ3 subtweeted him when Ford announced he was transferring. That's the lone trail of smoke around this one.  

Rasheed Bello on the other hand...