Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

17 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Does anyone remember a time when this board used to be dead after the season.  I think I have seen more posts the last few weeks then I have during some games.  Times are changing.

Not that I want to drive any traffic away from this site, but I still find it crazy that the Zips fanbase seems so small and almost non-existent on social media. There's maybe 2-3 good twitter and instagram handles, with nothing on reddit.

It would be cool if we could really build a decent following everywhere. 

Edited by akzipper

Think I saw Utah Valley head coach Mark Madsen is accepting the job at Cal. Any chance with the sit out a year rule that Aziz ponders another transfer and could come back to be the heir apparent to Enrique or has he burned his bridges here?

He was an absolute beast for UVU this year, leading them to the WAC regular season title and the NIT semifinals.

Just now, GJGood said:

Think I saw Utah Valley head coach Mark Madsen is accepting the job at Cal. Any chance with the sit out a year rule that Aziz ponders another transfer and could come back to be the heir apparent to Enrique or has he burned his bridges here?

He was an absolute beast for UVU this year, leading them to the WAC regular season title and the NIT semifinals.

If he ponders another transfer, I'd imagine it would be to Cal over Akron.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, akzipper said:

Not that I want to drive any traffic away from this site, but I still find it crazy that the Zips fanbase seems so small and almost non-existent on social media. There's maybe 2-3 good twitter and instagram handles, with nothing on reddit.

I think a lot of that credit goes to @Captain Kangaroo and the fellow moderaters. I'll occasionally peak into other MAC team boards to see what they're talking about and very few MAC boards are remotely in the same league as zipsnation.org. Even Toledo, who likes to pump their chests and brag about their attendance figures, doesn't see the volume nor quality of content that you see here.

I feel the fact that Zips Fandom is so niche and there aren't many other great outlets also helps drive traffic here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I think a lot of that credit goes to @Captain Kangaroo and the fellow moderaters. I'll occasionally peak into other MAC team boards to see what they're talking about and very few MAC boards are remotely in the same league as zipsnation.org. Even Toledo, who likes to pump their chests and brag about their attendance figures, doesn't see the volume nor quality of content that you see here.

I feel the fact that Zips Fandom is so niche and there aren't many other great outlets also helps drive traffic here.

Spot on.  In Kreed we trust.

15 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I think a lot of that credit goes to @Captain Kangaroo and the fellow moderators. I'll occasionally peak into other MAC team boards to see what they're talking about and very few MAC boards are remotely in the same league as zipsnation.org. Even Toledo, who likes to pump their chests and brag about their attendance figures, doesn't see the volume nor quality of content that you see here.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I think is was roughly 18 years ago that we began ZipsNation.org. Seven of us met outside Porky's Shop and pitched in some money to get the site started. @Zip Watcher did the original heavy lifting to set up the server and work with Invision. He's also the guy that came up with the "ZipsNation.org" name. Now-a-days "XYZ Nation" is everywhere. Back then is was more novel...and pretty perfect. Although he doesn't post much anymore, he continues to help with the server updates and issues. And keeping the domain name valid. And probably some other stuff I'm unaware of.

Beyond participating, @ZZZips helps fund the site, paying for the server. This is greatly appreciated.

In addition to his stellar photography skills and posts, @Dr Z has taken over the technical side of things, installing the updates to keep the site modern and running smoothly. This is not his specialty...he has learned this side of the internet on his own and the site would not exist if he hadn't stepped up and volunteered to do this.

I pay the bi-yearly Invision fees. And I am the "heavy" when things occasionally get out of control, or improper content gets posted. I'm happy that doesn't happen too often anymore. Which ties into the closing thoughts -

At the recent March MAC tournament two different people whom I, at best, casually know approached me to say how much they enjoyed the ZipsNation site. And what a great community of members we have.  This is a "community"...with are scores of "regulars" that keep the site fresh, informational and interesting. And there are several hundred "lurkers" who check-in daily.

Keeping the discussions on a high/professional level is what I want. No "professional" like everyone should write like Grantland Rice, but that everyone should be civil and respectful. The class exhibited by this site's members allowed me and Dr.Z being able to work with UA on the athletics stories and photography up through the COVID era. Several coaches over the years have told me "I don't read ZipsNation, but I have people that do. And they tell me you run a nice site." Of course, when I asked newly-hired Rob Ianello if I could stop by his office and interview him, he stuck his open hand in my face and stated - "We had FIVE fans sites covering us at Notre Dame...FIVE!" 

In conclusion - thanks to everyone in this community for making the site fun and informational for 18+ years. Who knows how long it will continue, but those of us that fund and run it are grateful that so many of you enjoy it, and contribute to making it great.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, akzipper said:

I know the MAC schools could build better followings because I'm old enough to remember when they had bigger followings and stadiums were much full, and I'm not that old.

I think we all know the old saying about what to do when you find yourself in a hole....stop digging. MAC schools have actively driven away the audiences, especially in football, for the "exposure" of ESPN. What has happened has not been an accident. It happened on purpose. 

Want to get a good fan base back, focus on benefitting five groups: the players, students, alumni, fans and greater communities around MAC schools. The mac has so much to offer these five groups but they are too misguided to take advantage of their real opportunities. It's a crying shame what the mac has done to itself. 

• Like 1

With everyone loading up with transfers, I just wonder if "true freshman"  are the big losers in this new system of college basketball.  Why recruit a high school player that may take a couple of years to mature and become a division one player.  None of our frosh were major contributors and when it came down to crunch time in Cleveland in our final game they did not see the floor except for some terrible minutes by Nate.  If you do hit it big with a frosh, he will be gone the following year in the transfer pool.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

With everyone loading up with transfers, I just wonder if "true freshman"  are the big losers in this new system of college basketball.  Why recruit a high school player that may take a couple of years to mature and become a division one player.  None of our frosh were major contributors and when it came down to crunch time in Cleveland in our final game they did not see the floor except for some terrible minutes by Nate.  If you do hit it big with a frosh, he will be gone the following year in the transfer pool.

This is why I wouldn't touch the high school ranks at a school like Akron. Give me guys with 2-3 years of eligibility who have been in a college strength & conditioning program for a year or 2, and are more mature mentally and physically due to age. 

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

CMU lost another player today.  Zarzuela and Bass, who are/were good, haven't committed to another school from what I can tell.

From what I can tell (2¢) Bass hasn't been offered by anyone yet. I'd be extremely excited if we landed Bass. 6'4" big-bodied shooting guard with a scorer's mentality and has proven he can fill it up.  I love Nate's athleticism but don't know if he'll ever develop that edge mentally, and Prather is a complete unknown (to us, of course - in Groce I trust).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

From what I can tell (2¢) Bass hasn't been offered by anyone yet. I'd be extremely excited if we landed Bass. 6'4" big-bodied shooting guard with a scorer's mentality and has proven he can fill it up.  I love Nate's athleticism but don't know if he'll ever develop that edge mentally, and Prather is a complete unknown (to us, of course - in Groce I trust).

Would certainly enjoy bringing him to Akron, but he has heard from Butler (he is an Indy kid), Mizzou, Oregon State, and Iowa off the top of my head. There is a tweet out there but I couldn't find it for the couple minutes I looked. Definitely a long shot  

• Thanks 1

For the ZN.O members who don't have the time to track the portal for basketball.  Not much can happen right now  except for 2 days between April 7th and 9th.

"We are currently in the middle of the March 30-April 6 dead period, only to be followed by an April 10-13 dead period. A recruiting dead period is when college coaches are not permitted to have any in-person contact with recruits and/or their parents."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here is the recruiting limits until late summer for D1 basketball.

March 30 – April 6 (noon), 2023: Dead period

April 6 (noon) – 18, 2023: Recruiting/contact period (exceptions below)

April 10–13, 2023: Dead period

April 20 – July 5, 2023: Quiet period (exceptions below)

April 21–23, 2023: Evaluation period (only for NCAA certified events)

April 24–27, 2023: Recruiting period

April 28-30, 2023: Evaluation period (only for NCAA certified events)

May 1-4, 2023: Recruiting period

May 18–26, 2023: Dead period

NBA Draft Combine (Dates TBD): Evaluation period (for combine only)

NBPA Top 100 Camp (Dates TBD): Evaluation period (for NBPA Top 100 Camp only)

June 16 (noon) –18 (6 pm), 2023: Evaluation period for scholastic events approved by the NCAA and NFHS and intercollegiate events approved by applicable two-year college governing body only

June 23 (noon) – 25 (6 pm), 2023: Evaluation period for scholastic events approved by the NCAA and NFHS and intercollegiate events approved by applicable two-year college governing body only

July 6-30, 2023: Dead period* (exceptions below)

July 6–9, 2023: Evaluation period (NCAA certified events, institutional camps and permissible governing body events only)

July 25–30, 2023: Evaluation period (NCAA College Basketball academy only)

July 31, 2023: Quiet period

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'd welcome him back if he bought into our intense Zeefence, shared the ball, upped his physical play and was not a cancer in the locker room. We have something incredible coming next year.

• Like 1