Ohio High School State Tournaments 2023

Anybody in particular I should be watching in the state high school basketball tournament, that has been offered or  the Zips have shown interest in? Always like to watch with a Zips connection in mind.

I know Colin White of Ottawa-Glandorf has been offered by the Zips but he seems to have gotten offers/interest from schools like Ohio State, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Butler, would love to have a legit shot at landing him.

Hoban junior guard Jonas Nichols has been offered by Akron.  That's it as far as I know.  Hoban senior guard Will Scott may be someone the Zips should invite to walk on.

Buchtel has 2 future D1 players in PG Khoi Thurmon (IUPUI IIRC LOL) and 2G Amire Robinson (Nevada).  Khoi is built like a bull & Amire is a physical specimen but neither have great outside shots; they're just more athletic than anyone trying to guard them. So I don't know how their games are going to translate to the next level but I'm not losing any sleep over them not being offered by Akron.  Buchtel's hottest player will be playing FCS football as a WR next season at Wayne State.  His name is Marcel Boyce, Jr. & is the son of former Zip Marcel Boyce, Sr.  He's been on fire & has been Buchtel's leading scorer since the tournament began.

Buchtel has a 6'3" sophomore in the starting lineup named Stevie Diamond.  He's Buchtel's starting QB.  He's also an athlete to keep an eye on.

Hoban's Jonas Nichols is the player I'm keeping my fingers crossed for.  He's smooth as silk, has great handles, is 6'3" & has a sweet mid-range fadeaway jumper.  Extremely smooth now... I can only imagine how good he's going to be a few years from now.  Hopeful he'll be a Zip.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How hard should the Zips pursue Colin White of Ottawa-Glandorf? Seemed like he held his own against Xavier commit Dailyn Swain of Africentric. His offer list isn’t too shabby. 

Edited by GJGood
Typo

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Groce was at the Hoban- St. Ed's game in Brimfield a couple weeks ago, most likely to see Nichols.

He certainly looks the part and I can definitely see why there would be interest Needs to develop a better outside shot but other than that looks pretty strong.

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

What's the news on Luke Skaljac of Brecksville? How was his junior season. He was maybe the first '24 player Groce offered.

He had a fantastic season.  He's a 3-point deadeye.  Luke was on the short list of Mr. Basketball candidates.  Would love to see Luke in the blue & gold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1