All-Time Zips Starting Five (D1 Era)

Zippy87

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

LCJ over Cricket everyday. Guy was a walking bucket who knew how to keep his teammates involved.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478mvyzfypzbsz99kaw2

Cricket #3 in scoring, #2 in assists and #4 in steals.  Both were the key guys on their team, but Cricket a better shooter and better distributor.  Also stronger on the other end.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:23 AM, Zippy87 said:

G-Joe Jakubick

I never had the pleasure of watching him play, but the stats don't lie here - dude was a walking bucket. Two-time OVC POY. From 1980-2023, only 6 D1 players have averaged more points per game in a season than Joe did in 1983-84 (30.1 ppg).

And the 3 point line wasn't adopted across the NCAA until 1986. Some conferences started using it before then... I don't think the OVC did. That would have boosted his ppg average significantly.

13 hours ago, Zip Watcher said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478mvyzfypzbsz99kaw2

Cricket #3 in scoring, #2 in assists and #4 in steals.  Both were the key guys on their team, but Cricket a better shooter and better distributor.  Also stronger on the other end.

If Jackson had played 4 years I would expect him to have matched or surpassed the scoring numbers based on his career 14.7 scoring average. Jackson finished as the #6 scorer just 300 points behind the Cricket.

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

If Jackson had played 4 years I would expect him to have matched or surpassed the scoring numbers based on his career 14.7 scoring average. Jackson finished as the #6 scorer just 300 points behind the Cricket.

There's a thing about statistics, damn lies .. etc.  Or statistics are for losers .. can't recall.

Regardless, LCJ did play 4 years .. just happened that his Freshman Year wasn't at Akron.  Dude is a legit UA legend, I'm in agreement with you.  He also is the most recent, which keeps it fresh.  In my original post, he's listed behind McNees, but that's wholly inadvertent .. he'd be my 3rd guard behind McLaughlin and Brown.  It is splitting hairs, but over a 4 year span it breaks down like this:

Points 1810 vs. 1783 (wash)

Assists 476 vs. 433 (marginal difference)

Steals 178 vs. 105 (significant)

The Cricket leads in all categories, but for me the steals thing is not small.  Not intimating that LCJ wasn't a good two way player, just that Cricket excelled on both ends of the court for several seasons.  If one were to look at shooting percentages and efficiency, they'd see more of the story.  Cricket was so good, the Suckeyes needed to throw him under the scorer's table and injure him to escape the NIT game at St. John Arena.

Fantastic players, both of them.

Of all my posts on ZN.O, this is my most recent.

Hope you are all well.  Go Zips!

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I pointed it out earlier in this thread, but that page isn't inclusive of all players. It lists Big Dog as #9 in FT%. He's one of my favorite Zips of all-time, but his 58% FT% clearly shouldn't be anywhere near the top 10.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Big? 

Ja Morant would brandish a gun if you said that to his face.

It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but there certainly is a gap between the two. When LCJ was doing what he was doing the MAC was a top 8-12 conference. I don't think the OVC has ever been a top 20 league. I view the MAC solidly as a mid-major while the OVC is more a low major.

That's not to say they haven't produced a good team from time to time. Just that the vast bulk of the conference is comprised of cupcakes that make stat padding a little easier.

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I pointed it out earlier in this thread, but that page isn't inclusive of all players. It lists Big Dog as #9 in FT%. He's one of my favorite Zips of all-time, but his 58% FT% clearly shouldn't be anywhere near the top 10.

I think the precentage list represents the top 10 attempts list ranking. Several of the catagories on that site are presented in that manner.

56 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

There's a thing about statistics, damn lies .. etc.  Or statistics are for losers .. can't recall.

Regardless, LCJ did play 4 years .. just happened that his Freshman Year wasn't at Akron.  Dude is a legit UA legend, I'm in agreement with you.  He also is the most recent, which keeps it fresh.  In my original post, he's listed behind McNees, but that's wholly inadvertent .. he'd be my 3rd guard behind McLaughlin and Brown.  It is splitting hairs, but over a 4 year span it breaks down like this:

Points 1810 vs. 1783 (wash)

Assists 476 vs. 433 (marginal difference)

Steals 178 vs. 105 (significant)

The Cricket leads in all categories, but for me the steals thing is not small.  Not intimating that LCJ wasn't a good two way player, just that Cricket excelled on both ends of the court for several seasons.  If one were to look at shooting percentages and efficiency, they'd see more of the story.  Cricket was so good, the Suckeyes needed to throw him under the scorer's table and injure him to escape the NIT game at St. John Arena.

Fantastic players, both of them.

Of all my posts on ZN.O, this is my most recent.

Hope you are all well.  Go Zips!

After looking at the site Clarke shared it would be interesting to see the official UA record book. Btw, I still have my clicker. 

Go Zips!

23 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The media guide with all of the records used to be easily accessible but i can't find it any more.

Just reached out to the MBB SID. There is no longer a copy of the media guide online. The old one was not compatible with the current website.

2 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Just reached out to the MBB SID. There is no longer a copy of the media guide online. The old one was not compatible with the current website.

Not the most current record book, but this could help when cross-references with Sports Reference 

https://gozips.com/documents/2019/3/14/2018_19_Record_Book_WEB_.pdf

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Not the most current record book, but this could help when cross-references with Sports Reference 

https://gozips.com/documents/2019/3/14/2018_19_Record_Book_WEB_.pdf

Jimmal Ball career steals number (242) is wild (in 107 games) as is Zeke's 9 blocks in one game (which he did 2 times).