Penn State game

ZachTheZip

I'm pumped. It's 3 1/2 months away, but I'm ready for football season to start.Rasor's Penn State previewI think we'll have a better chance to beat them than we've ever had before. We have a mostly veteran team who won't be scared or in awe of their crowd. Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their place, and you can bet that he's doing all he can to get us ready to beat his old rival. Our strengths will be up against their weaknesses. A win there would give us the confidence to beat any other team on the schedule. They're our only truly difficult match up. ARE YOU READING THIS, ZIPS FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES? I want a win. There's no reason why you won't go out there and shock the entire state of Pennsylvania. I've heard that some of you don't think you can win. If that's true, the get the hell off the team and never come back. You are here to play Division I football against the highest level of competition. If you can't handle that, we'll find someone who will. This is what you signed up for. Anything less than 100% effort is a disgrace. You can win. You have all the ability you need to win.As for the fans, talk it up. Get under their fans' skins. Show that you have confidence in your team. Don't let them put you down as a weak opponent when we're clearly the best opponent on their non-conference schedule. Nothing can put doubt into their minds faster than a confident opposing fan base.Pennlive forumScout forumRivals forumESPN game discussionThey still haven't has any serious discussion us. Now's the perfect time to catch them off guard.It's go time! PSUcks! The Nittany Housecats are going down. Get angry! :gun: :gun:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their placeThe only problem is someone is not doing their homework (Razor makes no mention of Walt Harris in his column)Walt Harris was 1-3 Vs Penn St his lone win coming @Pittsburgh 12-0 Vs a very down 2000 PSU team. His two times going to Happy Valley he lost34-17 in 199720-17 in 1999While Penn St is rebuilding off last year Big 10 champion and Rose Bowl team.But, they're talented team that UofA is going to have loads of problems with.Clark returns as Starting QB with 143.4 passer rating coming off passing for 19 TD's and 2,592 yards. That also return their RB's almost 2,000 yards rushing combined.If, UofA 3-3-5 defense doesn't perform far better then last year. Don't for second think UofA is going to go up and shock the State of PA.

Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their placeThe only problem is someone is not doing their homework (Razor makes no mention of Walt Harris in his column)Walt Harris was 1-3 Vs Penn St his lone win coming @Pittsburgh 12-0 Vs a very down 2000 PSU team. His two times going to Happy Valley he lost34-17 in 199720-17 in 1999While Penn St is rebuilding off last year Big 10 champion and Rose Bowl team.But, they're talented team that UofA is going to have loads of problems with.Clark returns as Starting QB with 143.4 passer rating coming off passing for 19 TD's and 2,592 yards. That also return their RB's almost 2,000 yards rushing combined.If, UofA 3-3-5 defense doesn't perform far better then last year. Don't for second think UofA is going to go up and shock the State of PA.
Ah yay, more "we can't" talk. Hell why even bother. Just send 11 scrubs and a grad assistant to collect our check.Pfft. there is always a chance, and I would rather think about the chances and hope that our team plays thinking they can win (less injuries when you play to win then when you just show up and don't try)

I'm pumped. It's 3 1/2 months away, but I'm ready for football season to start.Rasor's Penn State previewI think we'll have a better chance to beat them than we've ever had before. We have a mostly veteran team who won't be scared or in awe of their crowd. Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their place, and you can bet that he's doing all he can to get us ready to beat his old rival. Our strengths will be up against their weaknesses. A win there would give us the confidence to beat any other team on the schedule. They're our only truly difficult match up. ARE YOU READING THIS, ZIPS FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES? I want a win. There's no reason why you won't go out there and shock the entire state of Pennsylvania. I've heard that some of you don't think you can win. If that's true, the get the hell off the team and never come back. You are here to play Division I football against the highest level of competition. If you can't handle that, we'll find someone who will. This is what you signed up for. Anything less than 100% effort is a disgrace. You can win. You have all the ability you need to win.As for the fans, talk it up. Get under their fans' skins. Show that you have confidence in your team. Don't let them put you down as a weak opponent when we're clearly the best opponent on their non-conference schedule. Nothing can put doubt into their minds faster than a confident opposing fan base.Pennlive forumScout forumRivals forumESPN game discussionThey still haven't has any serious discussion us. Now's the perfect time to catch them off guard.It's go time! PSUcks! The Nittany Housecats are going down. Get angry! :gun::gun:

I'm pumped. It's 3 1/2 months away, but I'm ready for football season to start.Rasor's Penn State previewI think we'll have a better chance to beat them than we've ever had before. We have a mostly veteran team who won't be scared or in awe of their crowd. Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their place, and you can bet that he's doing all he can to get us ready to beat his old rival. Our strengths will be up against their weaknesses. A win there would give us the confidence to beat any other team on the schedule. They're our only truly difficult match up. ARE YOU READING THIS, ZIPS FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES? I want a win. There's no reason why you won't go out there and shock the entire state of Pennsylvania. I've heard that some of you don't think you can win. If that's true, the get the hell off the team and never come back. You are here to play Division I football against the highest level of competition. If you can't handle that, we'll find someone who will. This is what you signed up for. Anything less than 100% effort is a disgrace. You can win. You have all the ability you need to win.As for the fans, talk it up. Get under their fans' skins. Show that you have confidence in your team. Don't let them put you down as a weak opponent when we're clearly the best opponent on their non-conference schedule. Nothing can put doubt into their minds faster than a confident opposing fan base.Pennlive forumScout forumRivals forumESPN game discussionThey still haven't has any serious discussion us. Now's the perfect time to catch them off guard.It's go time! PSUcks! The Nittany Housecats are going down. Get angry! :gun::gun:
I for one am absolutely with you. "THE ROO" FEARS NO ONE!! I don't need to read razor's opinion. I Know we can beat Penn. Penn is our B...ch. You know I'm fired up. Just read my previous post below. I firmly believe that one of the most imortant things that our coaching staff can do to prepare us for Penn is to wipe out any semblance of doubt that any player has of our capability at winning that game. If we come prepared mentally to win, we have a Very Damn Good chance of winning. We DO have the talent to beat them. If I was the coach, I wouldn't put any player on the field that did not demonstrate a fiire in his heart and the determination to WIN. To me it seems a No-Brainer. Team Confidence is of paramount import to winning this game. Do not short-change this team. We have a lot of talent with an explosive mix of some key players. I just hope JD and staff get the message. I want this win so bad, I can already taste it. Bring them Penn State Suckers on. I can't wait.If we come out mentally ready to win, we will put a "stink" on Penn that wil be smelt long and far. Meanwhile, The Roo will come out "Smelling Like A Rose". I 'll say it again. Penn is our Bi...ch. We can and we will prove it. Mark my words. BEAT PENN STATE'S ASS!!!!! :rock::champs: Penn Sucks (big time!) :gun: MY PREVIOUS POSTThis is what I want to see.I want to see fire in the eyes of every Zip who walks onto the field on Saturday Sept. 5th. I want to see our Zips walk onto field with heads held high, and the smell of "No Fear" emanting from their from their jerseys. I want to see fear in the eyes of Penn's offensive team starting early in the game. I want to see Penn's QB staring up at the sky. I want to see our defense deliver hits harder than Superman's knee. I want to see Joe Paterno sweating like a MF'er (no matter how cold it may be!). I want to see Bowser pull in multiple 30yd. receptions. I want to see our "D" Smack the dalites out of their offense. I want to see many loyal Zips in the stadium mercilessly/crazy loud, cheering on our team. I want to see the Akron Beacon Journal and ESPN sporting the following headline and story on Sunday September 6th.ABJ HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 6, 2009THE ZIPS" – THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWNThe usual roar of Joe Paterno's Lions was quickly and most decidedly squelched as the 2nd half of the long-awaited season opener got underway against the visiting "CUPCAKES" of The University of Akron. Under the tutelage of JD Brookahart, the fearless ZIPS put a major hurt on the highly touted Nittany Lions as the Zips unleashed a can-o-whoop ass culminating in a stunning come-from-behind upset over Penn State. Yes folks, the streets and pubs of downtown Akron were overflowing well into the night with a raucously exuberant contingent of ZIPS faithful celebrating what will surely be long-remembered by college football fans everywhere.Down 10/0 at halftime, the Zips spirit and toughness was put through the ringer. Down, but Never Out, The Zips quickly came back like a thunderous roar and played like monster-sized/hearted Roos crushing the beaten-up & down Nittany Lions. Final score: University of Akron 35, Penn State 24.Afterwards Afterwards no one was singled out for accolades but the ecstatic JD Brookhart as he praised his team for their fight and touhness. Mobed by players and fans JD could take littel time to comment about this historical win except to thank his coaches for the great preparation they delivered, and thanking his players for playing like he new they could.THAT is what i want to see. Who's with me? Can i get a "Beat Penn's State's Ass" :rock::champs::cheers:

Walt Harris knows how to beat Penn State at their placeThe only problem is someone is not doing their homework (Razor makes no mention of Walt Harris in his column)Walt Harris was 1-3 Vs Penn St his lone win coming @Pittsburgh 12-0 Vs a very down 2000 PSU team. His two times going to Happy Valley he lost34-17 in 199720-17 in 1999While Penn St is rebuilding off last year Big 10 champion and Rose Bowl team.But, they're talented team that UofA is going to have loads of problems with.Clark returns as Starting QB with 143.4 passer rating coming off passing for 19 TD's and 2,592 yards. They also return their RB's almost 2,000 yards rushing combined.If, UofA 3-3-5 defense doesn't perform far better then last year. Don't for second think UofA is going to go up and shock the State of PA.
Ah yay, more "we can't" talk. Hell why even bother. Just send 11 scrubs and a grad assistant to collect our check.Pfft. there is always a chance, and I would rather think about the chances and hope that our team plays thinking they can win (less injuries when you play to win then when you just show up and don't try)
I never said UofA didn't have chance. Toledo went into Happy Valley in 2000 and kick PSU :nutkick: 26-6.But, I don't believe in down playing any team and comments that are not factual like Harris knows how too win at Penn St something he's never done to this point. I'm sorry I can't let that go when it's wrong.Just like Razor says Morgan St is not your typical Div 1AA team. Rugters beat Morgan St 38-0 last year and held them to 109 yards of total offense. So what makes them not typical just because they have QB who did well Vs other Div 1AA teams?The Harris comment is why reponded. I might have ignore the posts all together if not for that comment.

I had my history wrong. Sorry about that, Big Guy in GA. What I know for sure is that even mentioning Walt's name to a Penn State fan elicits a response of rage stemming from that Pitt victory.It's all about confidence. Have the confidence that your team can go out and beat anybody if they play hard enough. Confidence is important to creating both a strong team and a strong fan base. I know that some of the players are more confident than others. I would ask the team captains or leaders to step up and show the rest of the team what it means to be confident in yourself and your abilities. Tell them that you can beat anybody.As for the fans, we need to grow up. Grow beyond the NE Ohio mentality. We don't have the least bit of confidence as a group of sports fans. I will tell you that confidence is contagious, though. It is what attracts more people to join you and want to be like you. If the Zips fan base was more confident you would see it grow very quickly because others would want to be a part of that. We suffer from underdog syndrome and it has to stop. Stop caring that teams are favored against us. Stop caring that we're viewed the way we are. A lot of that comes from us shying away from criticism. Some people might see this as unrealistic expectations that don't go along with reality. Reality can be changed, though. No amount of marketing can create a fan base like they have at schools that we as fans should emulate like ECU and Central Florida. They aren't BCS teams but they have attendance like them, talk trash like them, and believe in their team like them. Forget "cautious optimism". That tells me that you don't really believe what you're saying.If you believe that Akron can go out to Happy Valley and beat Penn State, I want to hear you. I want to hear you here to show the rest of us that we believe, and I want to hear you out amongst fans of other teams to show them that we believe.

• 2 weeks later...

From CFN's Penn State preview:

What to watch for on defense: The secondary. This could be the Achilles heel. There will be production and the stats will be fine, but oft-injured corner A.J. Wallace has to suddenly use all his NFL tools and be a good college coverman. The safeties are promising, but untested, while Knowledge Timmons is a senior who has yet to put it all together at corner. This group will all hit and they'll all make big plays against the run, but if it has to deal with a top-shelf receiving corps, watch out. That's why ...The team will be far better if … no one notices that there's no one on the schedule who can throw the ball. Illinois and Juice Williams threw the ball well last season, but that was about it as far as the top passing attacks the Nittany Lions faced. The stats were tremendous, allowing just six touchdown passes and picking off 16 in 12 games with just two 200+ yard passing games allowed. And then came a trip to Pasadena where Mark Sanchez decided he was ready to play like a No. 5 pick in the draft throwing for 413 yards and four touchdowns. This year's Penn State secondary will once again put up great stats considering there's absolutely no one outside of Illinois and maybe, don't laugh, Akron who can throw a forward pass. Keep this in the back of your mind come bowl time.
Their greatest weakness is our greatest strength. They didn't play anybody last season who could throw the ball well until USC, and then they got torched. Jacq and his receivers will shred PSU. If the rest of the team can play well, this game will be a great one.

• 3 weeks later...
Only 84 days left until we shock the world. Bring them on! :gun:
BRING them suckers on! I can't wait. Our monster defense and explosive offense is gonna Beat them up and down. We are gonna shock them with 5,000 mega watts of raw ROO POWER. Penn is in for the shock of their lives. Can you say "Bain, Tonga, Herderson, Sewell". These guys are Carnivores, and they are just chompin at the bit to devour some fresh kill lion. Bring them suckers on. We are hungry!!!!!PSucks. :gun::rock:

Here's a question that I hope somebody has the answer to: How much is Penn State actually paying Akron to go there and ruin their season? Since this game was more recently scheduled, I would assume that we're getting the current going-rate for a single road game with no return, which is nearing $1,000,000. I would be suprised if it was that much, but I would also be very disappointed if it was anything less than $600,000 given what other schools are reporting for their deals. last year, Wisconsin payed Akron $650,000 and that was scheduled earlier than this game.

• 2 weeks later...
2 months until we face Penn State and start the most important season in Akron sports history.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=292480213
uakronkid, you seem to have the Penn Staters in a tizzy over there. Gotta love it :thumb:
Hehe. I've been trying to get PSU fans to actually think about Akron instead of just blowing us off as a warmup for Syracuse who they believe is a far better team.

2 months until we face Penn State and start the most important season in Akron sports history.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=292480213
uakronkid, you seem to have the Penn Staters in a tizzy over there. Gotta love it :thumb:
Hehe. I've been trying to get PSU fans to actually think about Akron instead of just blowing us off as a warmup for Syracuse who they believe is a far better team.
you should ask them on their board about when they overlooked Toledo and what happened :wall:

you should ask them on their board about when they overlooked Toledo and what happened :wall:
I'm saving that one for a little bit closer to kickoff.I haven't been able to get permission to post on their Scout board, I don't have an established rivals account, and the Pennlive.com board is so terribly designed that it's almost unusable. So I'm sticking with the ESPN conversation.

I'm saving that one for a little bit closer to kickoff.I haven't been able to get permission to post on their Scout board, I don't have an established rivals account, and the Pennlive.com board is so terribly designed that it's almost unusable. So I'm sticking with the ESPN conversation.
I've been trying to drum up some conversation on cbssportsline too. And I even dropped the P word (Pinkel) but so far no bites.

So which of you guys is on Rivals, Yahoo, Scout, and Youtube saying that we don't have a chance?
I believe we have a chance. I think this year is probably one of the best shots we've had in a long time of beating a ranked team. Assuming of course certain pieces work out the way we all want. (Bain, Henderson, Sewell, Tonga, Hazime, Lemon)