UA buys the Plasma building!

The people who own the local Chipotle franchises have said that they won't put one on campus.

I kind of want an Arby's. We need something open 24-7.

McDonald's is open 24/7 now.

But something other than that would be nice. The people who run Chipotle around here are fools to not want one around campus. Give me one, just one, 100% legit reason they wouldn't want to. Im really curious why they wouldn't because I can't see them doing anything other than making a killing if they were near campus.

But something other than that would be nice. The people who run Chipotle around here are fools to not want one around campus. Give me one, just one, 100% legit reason they wouldn't want to. Im really curious why they wouldn't because I can't see them doing anything other than making a killing if they were near campus.

Here's the reason: The majority of customers at both the Chapel Hill location and the Highland Square location are UA students. Opening one on campus would see a boom in business at the new one but decimate business at the other two locations, especially Highland Square. Would they have done better to put one on campus instead of Highland Square? Absolutely. But hindsight is 20/20. At the time, UA didn't have nearly as many dorms (neither the Spicer or Exchange dorms were built) and the football stadium was still a pipe dream. Highland Square was offering businesses great deals in an effort to develop a new commercial area, while the Zip Strip was rotting away. It's too late now to change anything, though.

Luckily we're in a great position to attract business these days. Hopefully something good moves in. Getting a Penn Station is a good start, and the Pita Pit at 22 Exchange brings a college-town feel there. I think we might be better off getting something that's not a national fast-food chain, but is present is college towns. A 24-hour cereal café would be an interesting addition to an otherwise generic set of restaurant choices.

I'm not big on Chipotle but I know most folks are....with that in mind I like Qdoba better and if Chipotle isn't going to open one there for fear of cannibalizing their other stores ;) (I'm not buying it by the way) come and feed these hungry fellows!

Qdoba would be wise to come to UA's campus. or maybe they could move Azteca over from Goodyear Heights.

• 7 years later...

Say good night to the "Townhouse Bar" aka the "Plasma Center"

Source Uakron.edu......UA Construction News for summer 2018

Plasma Alliance Building (University Foundation and Grant Funded)

The Plasma Alliance Building at the corner of East Exchange and Brown streets is scheduled for abatement and razing in April and May, respectively. Site restoration is expected to be completed in May as well.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...