Elsewhere in college football

UA Fan

Coaching speculation: Brian Kelley to Notre Dame. Not that we'd really be competing with Cinci for a coach, them being BCS and all.Pete Carroll got pounded at home by Stanford. What happened to the USC dynasty?Tressel-ball goes to OT with Iowa. State runner-up and Rose Bowl berth ain't bad :wave:

Isn't the more interesting point about Brian Kelly and his rise that there are other MAC schools that seem to get this hiring thing right? Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly and I'm sure many many more -- sadly none of them (head coaches) have Akron on their resume. I certainly hope we can get this right the next time.

Isn't the more interesting point about Brian Kelly and his rise that there are other MAC schools that seem to get this hiring thing right? Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly and I'm sure many many more -- sadly none of them (head coaches) have Akron on their resume. I certainly hope we can get this right the next time.
Soon enough you'll able to add Butch Jones and Al Golden to that list....I agree though... I wish Akron could just make a hire like that. I guess sometimes it takes a little luck, too.

The ironic thing is that our AD's who hire the coaches are the ones moving 'up' (Xavier, Cinci, Houston). I'm waiting to see how the Info effect impacts the candidate pool this time around...this could be our turn to strike gold. Speaking of gold, Al Golden to Cinci to replace Kelley? Sounds like Memphis already has a short list going on.

I like Larry Kehres over at Mount Union. I know that his name came up the last time we were looking for a coach. Does anyone know if he would be interested in leaving Mount Union for Akron? MU was nothing before he got there.
he has been offered many times before by many schools but still sticks around MU

I like Larry Kehres over at Mount Union. I know that his name came up the last time we were looking for a coach. Does anyone know if he would be interested in leaving Mount Union for Akron? MU was nothing before he got there.
Larry Kehres has done a phenomenal job as the Mount head coach, but Mount had a quality program under his predecessor, Ken Wable. His last team (1985) went 11-1 and made the NCAA Div. III playoffs for the first time in school history.Also, Kehres was an assistant coach/offensive coordinator for 11 years under Wable before being elevated to head coach when Wable retired, so it's not correct to say he just "got there" in 1986.