Who knows the Alma Mater

Do you know the lyrics to our Alma Mater  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While posting in the band arguments I started wondering why I was so upset over all of this. The conclusion I've come to is that there is a general lack of pride around Akron's campus that has an impact on everything. Attendance, the way we treat one another, the way we hear people talk about our school, the way people treat spirit organizations, the list goes on. So I started wondering, how many people actually KNOW our Alma Mater? Don't get me wrong, this isn't to attack the people who don't. In my mind, if you are enough of an adult to admit that you don't know it then you deserve a lot more respect than most. I figure a fun way to find out who know's it (and to educate the ones that don't) is to have a little ZN sing along. Here's how it will work, I will give the first line of the song after that it is up to you guys to give the next line followed by the next, so on and so forth. I will ask that no band member (present or former) adds in any lines (we know yall know it) SO HERE WE GO!Close beside Cuyahoga's Waters

I do not know the words to the alma mater. It never struck a chord with me. But I am old school enough to sing Akron U and Zippers in the fight song because that is how I learned it and I'm not changing.
I sing the fight song the exact same way! :lol: And props to you for being honest :bow:

I do not know the words to the alma mater. It never struck a chord with me. But I am old school enough to sing Akron U and Zippers in the fight song because that is how I learned it and I'm not changing.
I sing the fight song the exact same way! :lol: And props to you for being honest :bow:
You know, it's weird but I never really even paid much attention to the alma mater. I guess I always thought it was "Borrrrrrr-ing". Just the opposite for the fight song. I like to stand, clap and sing along with that one. Same with "Win for Akron". I have always loved marching bands ever since I was a kid.

I know every word to the alma mater and the fight song -- and I did not go to the University of Akron. The words to the alma mater have always been on the scoreboard for every pregame, both Rubber Bowl and InfoCision. But then, you would have to be there to know that.And to continue..."Waves the gold and blue"

Seriously, can you imagine a sold out sporting event with every zipper head in attendance singing this song together? I can tell you from experience that there is nothing that fills you with school pride like singing the Alma Mater with a bunch of fellow zippers.

• 2 years later...