Philadelphia Inquirer story

GoZips88

Before realizing that Collins wasn't getting up, fans were irate that no foul was called.
Maybe it's because the refs were blowing a lot of bad calls against Akron late in the 4th quarter and realized that they couldn't keep it up, particularly on a good play.

I love how the writer continously uses the fact that their star player was hurt as an excuse to them losing the game. "Its impossible to imagine they cared about the game." Whatever dude. And the coach?? "The kids going to make a lot of money in the pros." What?! Thats what he cares about at the moment?

So, Temple lost because they didn't have their usual head coach and their star player didn't play the final 27 seconds? I can see how this could make any team lose. I don't want to make it seem like it wasn't a bad injury, but that is not what lost the game for the Owls. They are just making excuses, just like we did last week.

"I'd like to think your best player, your All-American, in his last game, would get the foul call on that play, to be honest," -LeibovitzWhat crap thing to say. Mardy Collins whole college career has been based off him running out of control into people. This time it didn't work. Should the refs had just given the Owls 10 points because it might have been Collins last game? I supose this jackass Leibovitz thinks that, out of respect for "the situation", Akron should have just quit. I cannot wait untill Akron beats the living hell out of Temple in football. Much like most of the MAC has been for the last year, Temple is our new bitch.

I had read the Mike Kern article a couple of hours ago. So, I wrote him a short note ...."Dear Mike, Just read your piece on the game. I would like to point out as a Zips fan that the referees spent most of the evening swallowingtheir whistles. It is a pathetic shame that an entire game is played where Temple fouls atwill and your singular comment is about Temple fans crying for a foul to be called on Akron. The truth is, and you know this is the truth if you were at the game, Mardy Collins committedthe foul. Its called "charging." Perhaps its time to write an article on Temple fans lack of knowledge about basketball. Thenagain, a thousand fans for John Chaney's last ever college game as the head coach? Whatthe heck is going on in Philadelphia? Write about that, too. The Zips would have sold that game out. Not to mention, that realistically, Akron was abonafide four seed and had no business even being in Philadelphia. College basketball isa mess. That game was no upset. If Temple has visions of competing in the MAC be it football or basketball they best improvetheir skills before they come knocking. For the past year MAC fans have endured thesenseless taunts of Owl fans. Last night just confirmed what MAC fans knew. That inthe MAC, Temple would be a pretty ordinary middle of the pack program in basketball and dead last in football."

"I feel like absolutely crying," a student said as he walked out of the place.Taken from the Philadelphia Inquirer.Crying about what?That the Temple Owls got out physicalled?That they lost to a better team?That John "the Mugger" Chaney is finished?That A-10 and Temple in particular is a pretty ordinary conference and team?That Mardy "the crasher" Collins ran into a wall of muscle?That less than one thousand of the Owl faithful showed up for a post season game?That "big time" basketball is over rated?That neither Silly fudge Packer or the Temple Owls have the onions to show up in Akron?That losing hurts?That the damned Zips were dressed in the same colors St. Joe's wore last year?Or, was the fan just a sore loser big baby?

I had read the Mike Kern article a couple of hours ago. So, I wrote him a short note ...."Dear Mike, Just read your piece on the game. I would like to point out as a Zips fan that the referees spent most of the evening swallowingtheir whistles. It is a pathetic shame that an entire game is played where Temple fouls atwill and your singular comment is about Temple fans crying for a foul to be called on Akron. The truth is, and you know this is the truth if you were at the game, Mardy Collins committedthe foul. Its called "charging." Perhaps its time to write an article on Temple fans lack of knowledge about basketball. Thenagain, a thousand fans for John Chaney's last ever college game as the head coach? Whatthe heck is going on in Philadelphia? Write about that, too. The Zips would have sold that game out. Not to mention, that realistically, Akron was abonafide four seed and had no business even being in Philadelphia. College basketball isa mess. That game was no upset. If Temple has visions of competing in the MAC be it football or basketball they best improvetheir skills before they come knocking. For the past year MAC fans have endured thesenseless taunts of Owl fans. Last night just confirmed what MAC fans knew. That inthe MAC, Temple would be a pretty ordinary middle of the pack program in basketball and dead last in football."
You're the man GoZips !That's a hell of an email... I love it ! do you write for the buchtelite or something ?

I received an e-mail reply from the Philly sports writer . As follows ..."Yo, forget about the game. A kid got hurt. That was the only thing that ultimately mattered. Good luck at Creighton. You won the game, so what's the problem?Turns out I didn't write about the game, because of everything else that happened."At first I felt a tad sheepish because of Mardy Collins injury. Then I got to thinking.I wrote this gentleman several hours, in fact, the next day after the game. Collinsinjury had long since been determined as minor.What I detect in Mr. Kern's response is part of what is being written by RASOR and othersthat the NIT is pretty much meaningless booby prize to big name schools use to goingto the "dance". The other part being a certain arrogance that comes from licking one'swounds inflicted by a lesser. Not unlike a bully getting his butt kicked by the scrawnykid he had singled out as today's victim.