Start of a new season

The four teams are playing for the Westfield Cup are all in the presean Top Ten of soccer. Unfortunately the Zips (ranked 7th) lost their first match to Creighton (ranked 10th) by the score of 1-0. Both teams semed evenly matched, the Zips just couldn't score after several chances. The Zips showed good teamwork and were quick to the ball, however they just couldn't seem to put the ball in net. They will play at noon on Sunday against St. Johns (ranked 17th) while Creighton will meet Clemson (ranked 15th) for the title. This first match pointed out that we can't take anything for granted this year and we will have to work hard to keep our ranking. There are a lot of good teams out there and four of them are in Akron this weekend.

Allow me to respectfully disagree with you here. The zips didn't look too good to me and i am affraid that Ken Lolla will be badly missed here.Our midfield looked very bad and the balls seemed to be going all the way from Evan Bush (GK) to the offense without going through the midfield. Geir Nheym seemed unable to put the ball in the back of the net. Sinisia Ubiparipovich seemed to be the only confident and comfortable player... I didn't get the chance to see any freshman.The whole thing was very nice, the soccer fest starting at 5:00 and the tailgating area and everything looked awesome and the whole campus was different. Around 2000 people were in the field... too bad they left disappointed and very wet.

Sadly, I have to concur with SKHORBOTLY. Frankly, the Zips stunk the joint up.They were listless, lazy and played like they had never heard of socker. Was it their selfish egos or a new system or what?Hardly anyone put any effort out. Most of the match was played in front of the Akron net.My lady friend who attended with me is a huge and knowledgeable socker fan. She had nothing good to say about the Zips and she is a Zips fan. In her opinion there is somekind of infighting going on, probably a power struggle. She said that the Zips playedjust a little better after halftime where they probably got a royal ass chewing.We left ten minutes into the second half because it started to rain. We were on the road when the down pour occurred. Heard all the fireworks going off as we were getting to the car. Couldn't see them, must have been the best part of the evening from the sounds.At any rate they better get an attitude adjustment by Sunday.Clemson looks to be the best team in the field and they would drill the lazy, snotty, selfish, arrogant damn near worthless Zipettes. They suck. What a shame.btw ... #7 ... you would be off my team. You are frackin worthless. I hope Caleb runs your lazy, shiftless butt until you drop.Play the freshmen we have no senior leadership.

And so the of albatross of high expectations rears its ugly head... when we're still 0-0!The Zips did not look all that impressive last night, but it was a preseason game and they were playing a very good Creighton side (ranked ahead of us in the Adidas/NSCAA poll by the way). Losing a game 1-0 where there were three golden scoring opportunities does not mean that we're "missing" our old coach or have ego problems. (If we were "missing" anyone last night, I would have to go with it being last year's do-everything midfielder, Yohann Mauger). Give 'em a break and let's hope they're ready to go next Friday in VA when it counts!

You have to be kiding me. ONE DAMN GAME HAS BEEN PLAYED. ONE. not 30. not even 2. ONE. all you shit asses need to calm down. we lost by 1. we should have won that game by 3. but we didn't so quit bitching. its a new system and a new coach.
Thanks for the name calling !No one is bitching about anything but i belive that we have the rights to say that things were not the way we wish don't we ?About the game, even if the zips didn't lose the game and even if they won by 10, when i see a subpar team, i would come and say that they didn't play good soccer.I know this is the first game, believe me i am faaar from giving up on the team, and i will be the first one on those bleachers every day there is a game... I was just hoping that the team would capitalize more on the great fan turnout and the whole environement that was set for the cup.

That's why the Westfield Cup doesn't count for the season. It is preseason so that we can see what we need to improve upon before the season starts. Remember last year that the Zips beat Maryland in the Cup, but Maryland got way better after that and beat us in the NCAA tournament. If I were the coach, I would use this as an opportunity to see what went wrong and fix it. I'm glad we lost now and not during the actual season. You can learn more from losses than from wins and I hope the team is stronger because of it.

Improvement on Sunday.The Zips actually played as a team for the most part, despite lapses. At times theylooked decent. Not top shelf, but serviceable.The defensemen could actually be heard from the stands. The midfielders and forwardsare still mutes. Clemson communicated the best of the teams.Although I criticized number seven (Ashley Kozicki) for his poor, lazy performance onFriday, I freely admit his play on Sunday was considerably better. While he got nocredit in the line score, his centering kick put the ball in play that led to the Zips goal.It was an excellent placement to the left wing side allowing the cross that became anassist on the goal. I probably was not the only one who was disappointed in his Friday evening play as he did not start on Sunday.Oddly, St. John's is a better team than Creighton. Creighton won the tournament inspite of sloppy play. They benefited from two freak plays and winning a PK shootout.Clemson dominated the game, but on a freak "own goal" allowed Creighton to tie thescore. A shot on Clemson's goal hit a defender's head and bounced high into the air coming down and finding its way into the net. Creighton's other goal came on trippingin the box giving them a point blank penalty kick that was easily converted. Creighton was penalized and yellow carded far more than Clemson.Back to the Zips. Not sure if its a matter of the players learning a new system or theirswelled egos. Time will tell. The Zips will get tested next weekend in Virginia when theyface Davidson and UC-Santa Barbara. Two decent teams that will test the Zips metal.

Everyone should remember that this is the preseason and the matches don't count. Also the four teams in the Westfield Cup will probably go deep in the NCAA Tournament. The Zips have work to do like I said in my original post, but I don't see any reason to panic. My biggest problem is that they had numerous chances to score both Friday and Sunday and only managed one goal. :thumb::thumb:

• 3 weeks later...