CFN ranks Akron Offense #90

90. Akron Akron PreviewPredicted Finish: 7-5 2005 Predicted Finish: 5-6 2005 Record: 7-6After winning the MAC title, J.D. Brookhart's crew wants to do even more, and it has the talent to do it with 16 returning starters led by what should be one of the MAC's best defenses. To get back to the championship game and earn another bowl bid, the Zips have to be far more consistent and get steadier play out of both sides of the ball. Considering where the defense was a few seasons ago, to even be considered among the best in the MAC shows how quickly Brookhart and his staff have turned things around. The offense could be another story, at least early on, needing to replace the top receivers along with 1,000-yard back Brett Biggs. However, quarterback Luke Getsy should be able to build on a great end to 2005 and be one of the MAC's best passers, while all five starters return to what should be a top offensive line.Relative Strengths: quarterbacks, offensive line Relative Weaknesses: special teams, running backsHere is the link!!I do agree with this analysis but I don't agree with the ranking, I think we are definatly better nationally than that!! A great O-line and a great QB...that's the foundation of a good offense.

No offense to the players that graduated from our Offense, because we all know they were good players, BUT the guys that are replacing them have more talent then they did (with the exception of Hixon). Jabari is going to be one of the premiere recievers in the MAC next year and he prove what kind of playmaking ability he has in the Motorcity Bowl.The Recievers are also deeper than ever, with five strong options after Jabari, in David Harvey, Brandon Williams, Jermaine Lindsey, Stephon Fuqua, and Johnny Long.At RB I think Dennis Kennedy is going to bring balance to the Offense that will just dominate the air. Disappointed to hear of ALex Allen's injury because he is the other back needed to complete the Offense but he'll be back next year, leaving us thin and young at RB. BUT I think Kennedy can carry the load this year.With Getsy and the O-line I just on't see how Akron's not in the top half. O well I know where they'll be by the end of the season.

What was our ranking at the end of last year? According to ncaasports.com it was ranked #54 statistically in overall offense: #103 in rushing, #21 in passing, and #77 in scoring. This year we will be even better than that, due to Getsy's maturing as a QB, and the awesome talent at RB and WR. At the beginning of the year we were ranked way below what we were at the end of the year. Preseason speculation means nothing. Hopefully it will give them some extra motivation, though. :gun: Just for reference, the defense was ranked #32 in total defense: #52 in scoring, #71 in rushing (Playing against Garrett Wolfe twice and DeAngelo Williams in the MCB scewed the stats quite a bit), and #16 in pass defense. Also, we were ranked #90 in turnover margin (we need to improve greatly).Getsy was #71 in passing efficiency,but #22 in total offense. We will be ranked at least in the top 25 in offense and the top 10 in defense by the end of this season. I can feel it coming. :thumb:

You guys are both correct. I don't care too much about what the national pundits think. All of their predictions are based on two things, last years record and more importantly (To them), tradition. its going to take a number of winning seasons before we get their respect. Once that happens, they'll automatically rank us high even in years when we don't deserve it.I recently saw Sagarin's ratings for the upcoming year. He is totally pathetic! I think he had something like 10 1AA schools rated ahead of the Zips and four to five MAC schools. Someone needs to explain to me how a computer can make preseason ratings. If it were truly a computer poll, then all 119 schools would be rated exactly the same before any games were played. That thing is nothing more than a bass ackwards glorified poll designed to make the haves look better then they are and the have nots look a lot worse than they are!The Zips and the rest of the MAC will play the games and we'll all be happy come January!

I really don't think we should be offended by a ranking like this one. I believe the Zips are a talented offensive team. They are, however, unproven. Only two wr have ever caught a ball in a game and only one tailback (Berchie and Mcdaniel are fullbacks) has ever had a carry. We all know that they are talented, but we're fans and are expecting the best out of them. Sure, we've got Getsy. We also have a nice returning offensive line and a couple of tough tight ends. My guess is that they end up quite a bit higher that 90, but I am not gonna worry about it. I am just gonna sit back and watch them score while that ranking just keeps climbing.