Nittany Lions' primary concern is secondary

ZachTheZip

That's exactly the reason I think the Zips have a chance of winning this game. I've said it since the end of last year, the Zips can beat Penn State. They don't have much of a pass rush up front and their DBs are beatable. Kennedy and Kasparek might not have good games, but Arthur and the other wide receivers should.

Interesting read. Justin King is inexperienced, but according to the story, he was the tob DB in the nation his senior year in high school so the guy definitely has talent. Hopefully his lack of experience will out weigh his talent in the opener and he will figure it out by the time they play Ohio State.

Top players in the nation during high school usually don't have good first years in college. Once they secure the starting job, they have nothing else to prove. Noone was better than them in high school so they don't have a chip on their shoulder to prove that they should have been given more attention. Take two of the best high school running backs ever to come from Summit county, Chris Wells and Tyrell Sutton. Wells was ranked as the #1 RB in the nation for two years in high school, but he wasn't that good because the best RB in the country should be able to propel his team to a winning record (he could not). Also, his rating gave him an ego problem; he argued with his coaches about not getting enough playing time, even though he got the ball almost every play of every game. Sutton, on the other hand, had a huge chip on his shoulder, because he rated the #37 RB in high school behind Wells, despite out rushing him when they played against each other, winning the Mr. Football award, and breaking about 30 state records, including the career rushing yards record and scoring record, and then going on to break many records in Big Ten football with Northwestern. I guess my point is that high school ratings are not indicative of talent at all. They just serve as fuel for those that get overlooked and they make big egos for those that get preferential treatment.Sorry for making you read all of that. :( Basically, Justin King doesn't concern me as much as the media wants.

Hey guys, PSU fan here.Just an FYI on King, he's not a freshman, he's a sophomore, and he played both DB and WR last year. He spent the OSU game, which PSU won, covering Ted Ginn, and pretty much shut hiim down. King is not a worry for us. Now, the other guys back there, who knows?

Hey guys, not trying to be a pain in the ass and come on here and flame because thats what happens on our site, but do you guys know what happened in 04, you didnt stop our starters and that was our worse offense om thee paterno ear, we now have play makers on our team, Williams, King, Hunt, Norwood, Butler, and freshman Wallace and Bell have a lot of speedunderstand you guys r improved as well, but our d as inexperience as you think, shaw started two games at tackle before he was hurt, and he had the safety in the OB, Alford is back is a real good player, Ed johnson started in 04, and was our best run stopper, so gaines is the only new one, King is the real deal as said above, he shut down Ginn in his first real action, and he is concentrating on defense now, the only concern i have is McCready who is playing Hero, i am not sure the kid is going to make it through this gameThe only way you guys keep this game close is if we just dont show anything b/c of the nd game the next week, but with morelli getting his first real time, i just dont see it, maybe not real bad, but there is no way you are scoring 34 llike someone said on here, i dont know if nd will put that much, we have talent on d, just young, well good luck, I know we all cant wait

Couple quick questions and comments. First on thread topic of PSU's secondary. Two of the 4 DBs have some significant experience. Justin King played CB in nearly half of the PSU games last year, not the least of which was against OSU where he was assigned to cover Ted Ginn. If I'm not mistaken Ginn had about 50 yards or so in receptions and King broke up at least one pass intended for Ted. Donnie Johnson, this year's starting Free Safety was the nickel back in quite a few of PSU's nickel situations last year. Johnson also played almost the entire MSU game as well. Because PSU played a lot of passing teams and because PSU led, and led by a bunch in most games, the nickel package was used in nearly 50% of the total defensive plays. Both the PSU CBs(king and Davis) are very fast(4.3 and 4.44) and Davis is particularly physical. They're most likely going to end up being better this year than most of the experts expect.Secondly, I've been looking for some up to date depth chart numbers for the Zips. I haven't been able to find any. Rivals has the Zips dephth chart for August of 2005. I've looked at this site and can't find any. Am I looking in the wrong places or doesn't Akron publish depth chart info?

Welcome Joe4Joe,If you are looking for a depth chart goto gozips.com. Click the link on the left side for football. Then on the left side it says depth chart click that and a .pdf file will open. You must have acrobat reader to see the pdf. IF you don't have it you can download it for free. In the future might I suggest going ot the offical website of the team to find the depth chart. :rolleyes: :blink: :unsure: Boy I thought the Miami fans were dumb I guess there are stuid people in the middle of PA. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Don't cry to hard win the Zips are :rolltide: come the 2nd!!!!!

"Don't cry to hard win the Zips are come the 2nd!!!!! "so the zipperheads not only suck but they are a bunch of homo's too? homer :gun:
That's funny. I actually pull for your team and really admire what your coach has accomplished. If it makes you feel powerful to talk smack on some MIDMAJOR's board, then carry on. Being someone who has visited Beaver Stadium, a majority of the Penn State fans are class acts. One thing we can probably all agree on though......... :screwks: