Bond. Jane Bond.

Overall, I think this piece is very accurate. I will be disgusted if the BoT and President allow things to change as dramatically as Ms. Bond warns.

Pieces like this are always frustrating to me because they leave the reader angry with no suggested course of action. What would you suggest we do if we want to advocate for your position, Ms. Bond?

Pieces like this are always frustrating to me because they leave the reader angry with no suggested course of action. What would you suggest we do if we want to advocate for your position, Ms. Bond?

Editorials usually are cut down to concise arguments for the sake of publishing. But I disagree with you that editorials/criticism is supposed to be constructive or give a course of action. This editorial is to bring our attention to the issue, to inspire us to act.

Rachel Carson did that with her book Silent Spring. The public responded and demanded action.

• Like 1

It is very well written, indeed. And scary.

Where she thinks this is all headed, and the deficiencies it could create, has been my fear all along. I either need to join the crusade to stop it, or possibly live with the idea that I hold Liberal Arts degrees from a Tech School. And I'm certainly not alone. I'm thoroughly convinced that they are taking actions to attempt to survive financially, while shortcutting some of the things that make a higher education so valuable, which could destroy the status of this University that has been earned over decades of growth.

• Like 1

My fears had recently been assuaged when I read that UA planned to hire 55 new faculty this year, but Bond's article has me worried. If UA is purposefully heading away from tenured faculty positions UA will become truly second rate. For-profit online curriculum partnerships? Even worse. I'm truly worried that Scarborough and his crew are marketeers, hired guns to turn UA into a glorified tech-school.

I either need to join the crusade to stop it,

This is how I feel. But as I get further away from my graduation, and the less of my friends that are still in college there, the more disconnected it becomes for me. It's really sad. I've always been willing to fight for this university, but now I'm losing my fight. Not because I don't think it's a worth fight, but because very few alumni seem to give a damn. There are a of almuni who have been involved and are speaking out against these moves (a lot of them faculty) but there's been a visceral response to them. I'm at the point that I'm left asking; why do I care so much? Is my alma mater really worth the time and energy to defend when there are so few willing to do it?

I find it very disheartening Skip. :(

• Like 1

Balsy, I am even more removed than you. I haven't been in school there in nearly 30 years. But trust me, alums are pissed. They may not seem passionate about Athletics at Akron, but they do feel strongly about the degrees they received, and how they will be perceived as the University changes. And they've stopped donating money, which is probably the biggest voice we have.

• Like 2