AKRON SOLID AGAINST HILLSDALE

ZipAnalyst

Woods picked up two fouls early in the first half and didn't show much. But the second half was a different story. He showed some quickness off of post ups and scored on smooth moves. He had a beautiful lob to Milum for an exciting slam dunk.Speaking of Milum. He put the ball on the floor at about the foul line and zigzagged to the hoop for a score. For my part this move was the best of the game. KD should consider isolating Milum on defending big men and see if this is a developing talent. Maybe this was once-in-a-season move. Romeo was Romeo. Didn't play much in the second half but demonstrated what we saw all of last year in the first half of this game.Dru. Excellent defense, ball handling and shooting and - superb leadership on the court.Quickness, quickness and more quickness. Speed, speed and more speed. Both on offense and defense. And he proved that he will be a scorer this year. Who am I talking about? Cedrick Middleton, that's who. He was good last year. He showed today that he is improved.Dials created havoc on defense and was a factor in direct steals on poking to other Zips around him. He was open on a lot of threes and canned a number of them.Linhart was solid. You can see that he is getting more and more comfortable. Playing with an experience laded lineup will give him the space to continue to develop into a steady, productive post player who can take a less agile defender to defend on the three and creating space for Woods and Travis to wreck the opponent inside.McKnight showed that he will be ready next year to step in and begin to fill Travis' shoes. Ditto of Conyers. He is a comer. And next year is when he will come into his own. KD didn't use him this way today, but it is clear to me that Conyers is fluid enough, quick enough and fast enough to take smaller guards down law and score easy hoops. He was used today as if he was a small forward.Sallee looks like a capable point guard if need be. He had one turrnover which he neutralized within seconds by stealing the ball back.Rybak was a non-event as far as I am concerned. Maybe he'll be a "late bloomer." He's plodding and slow and thinks better of his shot (the three pointer) than I think his performance merits (both in this game and going back to last year).Bardo did not embarrass himself. He did get stuffed on a lay up but he stepped up and took a charge in the second half. Overall he played the way one would expect a first year big man to play. In time he will be productive.

Well said ZA, here are my thoughts: - Dru, Romeo and Dials... great off course. who was even worried about them. - Cedrick, oh my god. great deffender, increasingly fast, no turnovers, i almost think that he can take the ball to the hoop with his eyes closed. - Chris McKnight, remember Romeo in his freshman year ? he was not that good. Chris in his first career game looked to me like Romeo towards the end of his Sophomore year. Yes i am serious... he is that good. - J. Wood, got a lot of rust on his gears, better get in shape as soon as possible. - Conyers, did nothing to impress me... we will have to wait and see. - Bardo, great body but someone gotta teach him how to play BBall. - Linhart, continues to be very promissing. - Rybak, i am starting to feel that KD wasted a scholarship.

Sat right behind the Zip bench yesterday. Romeo didn't play much in the second half due to a sore ankle ("Coach, my ankle hurts!"). Talked to him at the autograph signing table after the game and it didn't sound like he'd have any problem being ready and able to play in the tournament next week.Talked to Chris McKnight's dad for a few minutes after the game. As we've heard before, the U of A coaching staff was a major factor in Chris choosing to play at Akron. Sounds like Chris has adjusted well so far to college life - his dad said he and mom didn't hear from Chris for the first 5 weeks of school. Brother Brett is anxious to finish up high school and join his brother at Akron. Agree with the other posts - Chris sure looks to be the real deal and ready to contribute, even as a freshman. Looked good out there yesterday.Cedrick Middleton - WOW! In great shape and looked great on both ends of the court.Looking forward to seeing how this group does this year!