ESPN Comments on Akron

sgm405

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...ht&lid=tab4pos1Nov. 13Arkansas-Little Rock 81, Akron 79Results like this are why the MAC doesn't ever get a second team into the Dance. Instead of having an opportunity for a solid road win at Texas Tech and a chance to get games against Marquette and possibly Duke on a neutral floor, the preseason MAC favorite punted one against a Sun Belt club that finished 14-15 last season. Akron's schedule also included only one additional D-I game until this Saturday.

No doubt that people will be looking at this game if we are contending for an at-large birth in March. Fortunately, we have other quality opponents outside of our league this year. As opposed to last year when they only had the Nevada game to look at in deciding how we stacked up against non-league foes.

No doubt that people will be looking at this game if we are contending for an at-large birth in March. Fortunately, we have other quality opponents outside of our league this year. As opposed to last year when they only had the Nevada game to look at in deciding how we stacked up against non-league foes.
We had California and Louisville last year in addition to Nevada...It is just they we were blown in all 3 of them.

Wow. How quickly I forgot about Louisville and Cal. Probably because we were blown out. We do need to BEAT a tournament-caliber team if we want to be considered for an at-large.Let me point something else out. I know a bit about the Sun Belt conference because I have family that graduated from a couple of those schools. They aren't a MAC level conference, but they aren't that bad. And Arkansas Little Rock will probably win that conference this year, and receive an automatic bid. Which would have made it GREAT for us if we had beaten them. But I just wanted to point out that we did not lose to a bad team.I really believe that the Nevada game cost us our at-large bid last year. So, the game against them this year, and the bracket buster game will have a big bearing on our chances of getting an at-large if we do not win the MAC.