UA vs. Winston-Salem Game Predictions

ZachTheZip

Observations:WSSU defense was tough. Played what seemed to be a hybrid of a 2-3 and man-to-man most of the time. gave us fits inside and lead to a LOT of ill-advised outside shots.Ced's half-court shot at the buzzer of the first half won the game for us. Instead of down 1, we were up two. This team could've beaten the zips tonight.Sitting with the AK-Rowdies for my last season, I was impressed with the involvement. I'm in my 7th year at Akron (finally getting my degree after 5 years of part-time) and I've seen the progression from the "pouch" (me and 5 other people) to this year's rowdies (75% full for a nothing game). It makes me happy to see the student support that I wish was there a few years back.That being said, I'd like to vent here over some idiocy over what is now apparently a completely student-run group. I had a good friend of mine get booted from the student section because he wasnt wearing THIS YEARS Ak-Rowdies shirt. That's right, a 5 year engineering student and now grad student and AK-Rowdy who didnt have time to pick up his shirt prior to the game (full time work and full time school make it kind of hard) was removed from the section by the student "president." Now maybe it's just me, but shouldnt we be making sure the section is at least full before booting people? It sure was nice to see those 30+ empty seats down low while my friend was sitting at home, angry at the entire athletics department because of one little big-headed "fan."Sorry bout that, but that got to me. Good game Zips, hope to not see you against St Francis, "PREZ."
Just to piggy back on what RowdyZip was saying, I think we need to focus on getting Akron fans down low to fill up the lower section. Either have more of the shirts on hand and ready to give to people or let it slide...the only requirement to sit down low should be to be cheering loud and proud for the Zips, especially when there are empty seats. One Zips fan kicking out another Zips fan out of the student section is simply inexcusable. I am confident that the leadership of the group will step up and fix this problem. I had an interesting perspective of the game as I was sitting with a few friends from Cleveland who wanted to check out the Zips. After hearing that the gold shirt was required we sat up top...just didn't have the energy to fight that crap. Anyways, here are a few thoughts...- Overall student section noise was great, especially for a game against a no-name squad. - Good, strong chants...just need to make sure both sides are on the same page next time. It seemed like there was a lot of confusion. - I'd drop the "that way" thing...or whatever it is. Only half of the people seem to be doing it and you can't make out what the group is saying at all...it basically looks like half the section points and yells jibberish. Everybody around me was trying to figure it out (I only knew from the discussion on this forum)All in all, a solid performance!

That being said, I'd like to vent here over some idiocy over what is now apparently a completely student-run group. I had a good friend of mine get booted from the student section because he wasnt wearing THIS YEARS Ak-Rowdies shirt. That's right, a 5 year engineering student and now grad student and AK-Rowdy who didnt have time to pick up his shirt prior to the game (full time work and full time school make it kind of hard) was removed from the section by the student "president." Now maybe it's just me, but shouldnt we be making sure the section is at least full before booting people? It sure was nice to see those 30+ empty seats down low while my friend was sitting at home, angry at the entire athletics department because of one little big-headed "fan."Sorry bout that, but that got to me. Good game Zips, hope to not see you against St Francis, "PREZ."
yeah, when you get the shirts you have to sign a contract saying that you have to wear them, always stand and be loud, and that you will be classy fans. i find it a bit ridiculous because there are so many other things i am required to wear that sometimes i don't go home between class, practice, then a game. on top of that, it has to be THIS YEAR'S shirt, so you can't even get by with last years. by signing the contract, it also means that there aren't going to be seeing any of the half-naked, fully-painted fans down below. i dunno...i signed the paper with the understanding that i won't get to stand down below for a majority of the games.

I understand all the frustration of all of you guys and i am not in the board of the rowdies and i am not here to defend them either. All what i want to say is that it makes total sense to me that a uniform should be required, don't you think ?If we go back to last year, everybody was wearing the right shirt in the first game, few people were not in the 5th game and by the time we got to the end of the season, almost half the rowdies were not wearing their shirts and the section looked awful. If you look at any organized and decent student section, rule number one in the book is to wear the same shirt... so let's cut the rowdies board some slack.When i'm running out of time and i do not have my rowdies shirt, i will happily sacrifice sitting in the upper section rather than sacrificing the organization of the whole student section.