Zips vs Wolf Pack: The Rematch

WolfinSeattle

It's still 4 days away,but not too early to talk about the upcoming rematch. Last year the Pack really had it's way with the Zips at Lawlor Events Center in Reno, but this should be a much closer game. Traveling 2,300 miles always puts a burden on the road team that's hard to overcome, especially for an early or late game. The 7pm (10pm Pacific) game time will certainly affect the Pack and not having to play at elevation (almost 5,000 ft in Reno) will also benefit the Zips. Both teams have lost a few players from last year, but the core remains intact. Here's what' up with this year's Nevada team:Nevada Player's lost: Demarshay Johnson-6'9 forward. 20 minutes, 4 reb, 4pts last year. Academically ineligible for the first semester and will probably redshirt. Started most of last year but wasn't usually an impact player. Has been replaced by 6'7 senior Denis Ikovlev (YAHK-ovlev). Denis is slower and less athletic than DJ, but has a very good 3pt shot if left open. Plays pretty physically on defense, but he's a dropoff from DJ defensively.6th man Mo Charlo a 6'7 forward. Excellent athletic defender with long arms and quick hands. Scored 14pts in 24 minutes in last year's game. We miss him defensively. Replaced by Javale McGee, a 6'11 true freshman from Chicago. His mom was an All American bb player and his dad was drafted by the Portland Trailblazers. VERY athletic with even longer arms. A leaper and a shot blocker but still not disciplined on D. His points are off dunks, but he can shoot. I just don't think coach allows it yet. Will be an absolute stud in a year or two, but he isn't yet.7 footer Chad Bell - 3points in 19 minutes. Was an intimidator defensively but not very effective on offense. Always in foul trouble. Replaced by McGee and 7 footer David Ellis. Ellis is slight but plays as effectively as Bell.Newcomers - Nevada has several talented freshman that all show potential and see minutes but don't add much on either end yet.Differences- This year's team has been relying on offense more than the teams of the last three years. The Pack is shooting almost 45% on their 3pt attempts and Fazekas is still tearing up opposing defenses on the inside. Point guard Ramon Sessions his having an outstanding year. Last season he was really bothered by a hip injury that lasted all year. This year he's averaging 12pts, 4 reb, 5 assists and hitting 45% of threes. Kyle Shiloh scored 22pts last year and is considered the Pack's best defender at guard. He's back. The player that has improved the most other than Sessions is 6'5 wing Marcellus Kemp. He's averaging 18 pts and has hit 25-50 threes. If left alone, he will light you up. Outstanding jump shot. Average defender.The only loss the Pack has suffered was to hated rival UNLV. They were ice cold shooting hitting only 1-15 three point shots and turned the ball over about 25 times vs a very quick aggressive defense. That seems to be the way to beat this team. Overplay the guards, try to force turnovers and hope they miss shots while banging on Fazekas down low. I expect a closer game this year, but if you are behind at half time I think it's all over.So what's new with the Zips this season?

Pacific time is 3 hours behind us so the 7pm EST start time would be like 4pm for your guys. In fact they could sleep in their own beds Thu. night, board the plane Fri. morning and arrive at Rhodes Arena in Akron at just about the right time to get ready for the game. Then if they stayed overnight in Ohio they could take in the NFL HOF in Canton or the Rock/Roll HOF in Cleveland on Sat. before jetting back. I'll leave the synopsis of our team/season to someone else but since we'll be at home it should be a hum-dinger of a barn-buster. Good luck (little bit)

Akron is so giddy about a Top-25 team coming into the JAR that they are moving the students OFF of the floor behind the baskets and back upstairs in the bleacher seating well away from the action. Some twisted rationale out of our athletic department that all of the snoring emanating from the lower blue chairback seats and clear site-lines when shooting free throws will throw Nevada's game off. BRILLIANT I say! :wall:

Akron is so giddy about a Top-25 team coming into the JAR that they are moving the students OFF of the floor behind the baskets and back upstairs in the bleacher seating well away from the action.  Some twisted rationale out of our athletic department that all of the snoring emanating from the lower blue chairback seats and clear site-lines when shooting free throws will throw Nevada's game off.  BRILLIANT I say!  :wall:
Whoa! Stop the presses. I may have posted too soon! Student enthusiasm MAY be allowed back on the floor for Nevada after all! Very recently posted on another thread ..."I just got out of a meeting with Hunter. He knows that I wrote my post on Zips Nation Last night. And Yes, He was disappointed in me for he knows I am a hard worker here for the Athletic Department. He told me if I can GARANTEE to have 164+ AK-ROWDIES members for the Nevada game he will hold the lower seats for us. He told me he would rather have 164+ of Akron's ROWDIEST students then just some Smo off the streets. So if you can send me an e-mail saying you will be there and if I get 164+ from you I will be able to get ALL of OUR seats for the lower level back for the BIGGEST game in AKRON/RHODES ARENA HISTORY. COACH D just also spoke to me he said get them back! I am calling YOU out NOW e-mail me ASAP let me know you will be a loud ROWDY fan come this FRIDAY.When You COMEBE LOUD BE PROUD FEAR THE ROO and GOOOOO ZIPS"