What do you think of Austin Peay?

zipfan 81

I think that CK's comments in the other thread were dead on, comparing us to Nevada.I think it will be nice to have the Governors back in town for a visit. All MAC folks think the OVC is crappy, but they have had runs in the NCAA's over the years, so I'm not too quick to kick dirt on our old conference foes.When I think of AP, the first thing that comes to mind is how they were the victim of the (IMHO) WORST officiating call in the history of the NCAA tournament. I'm sure an AP fan can recount this better than I, but I think in like 87 or 88 they played in the NCAA against a Providence team coached by Pitino. I believe Billy Donovan was on the club as well (current Florida coach). Not sure what the stakes were, but I think it was a second round game (a quick search of APSU's website revealed nothing).As memory serves, AP was up on the Friars LATE in a game at the point where the Friars needed to miss a free throw and get the RB in order to have a prayer of winning the game. Coming out of a timeout, Pitino instructed the officials that he wanted a timeout as soon as PC got the ball. So the guy bricks the free throw and the ball is loose. A dude from PC TOUCHES the ball & the whistle blows, giving possession to PC. What actually happened was the guy touched the ball, couldn't get any semblance of control & APSU ended up with the ball on an open break, sure to be fouled or just end the game. But the stupid ref blows the whistle, giving the ball to PC & PC goes on to make a bucket to win / force overtime & ultimately when on to win and eventually go on to the Final Four. APSU got jobbed in that one. Big time. Pitino benefited greatly, but APSU got jobbed.That's what I think of when I hear Austin Peay.

My intitial thought of Austin Peay goes back to 1985 and the football Zips had just lost at home to Middle Tennesse by 17-0, but the Zippers managed to regroup and beat the Governors the following week in Clarksville to squeak into the D1-AA playoffs. I recall QB Vernon Stewart having a big game with one of his wide receivers (1st name Willie I think, may have went to Garfield HS?). It was the Zips only D1-AA playoff appearance.As for B-Ball, I like to kid about the OVC, but it's not a bad league at all, and those rivalries with Middle, etc, used to provide some excellent games. Do I wish we were playing someone else? YES! But we gotta play who they tell us to and hopefully play well!

Whaddya ah theenk? Why I luv the Peay, I gradeeated from ther, and got me a job in Wahhshingtun representin the peeple of Kentuckah, I meen Tennessse see..oh was it Memphfist anywho,... what wuz the qwestin agin ?
There is usually someone in the crowd who has the nerve to say what a lot of us are already thinking. Props mcperp!! :rofl:

A couple more facts.....Basketball:1) I believe the chant went, "The fly is open.....let's go Peay".2) I think Peay was the team we beat in 1986 to clinch the #1 seed in the OVC tournament, which we won the next week by defeating Middle Tennessee in the final. Football:The wide receiver's name was Willie Davis. He was Vernon Stewart's main target.This game will do one thing...it will bring back alot of old OVC memories.

APU,Was it Kansas the Governors beat at the dance, to make Dickie V. stand on his head in the ESPN studio? Was that the same year as the Providence matchup?Next year the Zips can take the next train to Clarksville -- with Davy Jones, Peter Tork and Co.

1987 AP beat Illinois, a #3 seed. I believe that DV did live up to his word and actually stand on his head after the upset.Last train to Clarksville. Good one. I bet they've never heard that one before. I am impressed that you got Davy Jones first name spelled right, not that I was a Monkees fan or anything like that.

I'm sure somebody's already's said it but I can't resist..."LETS GO PE-AY, LETS GO!!!"
I think Gov fans have heard everything under the Sun which can be derived from the name "Peay." The Akron/Gov matchup is perhaps one of the more comical name matchups and spawns certain phrases as "Pull down the Zippers. Let's Go Peay!" Insofar as a pro Gov slogan often found on student game signs, I happen to like "Show me your Peayness." For the anti-Govs, the popular slogan is "Flush the Peay!" One would think in all these years of Peay jokes that someone would have done this but I am the first insofar as I am aware. I actually captured on film a genuine, honest to goodness, Dunn Center urinal!360647084_6ba9bc9136_b.jpg

APU,Was it Kansas the Governors beat at the dance, to make Dickie V. stand on his head in the ESPN studio?  Was that the same year as the Providence matchup?Next year the Zips can take the next train to Clarksville -- with Davy Jones, Peter Tork and Co.
Hello Z.I.P., Yes, Dick Vitale did make good on his promise. He came to the Austin Peay campus during a summer or spring function and actually stood on his head. Concerning the *Last Train to Clarksville Song*: According to one site, the song was written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart and recorded by The Monkees. The song is a Vietnam War protest song and Boyce was thinking of an Arizona town when writing the song called "Clarksdale" but "Clarksville" sounded better in the song. He remembered that there is a large military base close to Clarksville, Tennessee so the song the song indirectly points to Ft. Campbell Military base. LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE "Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you at the station...." This is "the station."L_Ndepot.jpg The L&N (Louisville and Nashville) Train Station in Clarksville was built in 1890 and still remains today although there is no longer any passenger service. It serves only as a historical and architectural landmark in a rather seedy neighborhood. Clarksville, however, has been the location of several music videos the most popular of which would be Sheryl Crows, *All I Wanna Do* which was filmed in front of the Art Deco Roxy Regional Theatre and along Franklin Street in downtown Clarksville. "This ain't no disco, this is LA." No, this is Clarksville's Franklin Street and not LA - ha. BTW, Austin Peay's campus is within walking distance of this particular video location.Music VideoPhoto of Roxy Theatre

I remember the Peay from the the U of A OVC days. Middle Tennessee and Austin Peay, among others (who were the OVC teams when we were in the conference?)I never thought there was much of a rivalry but certainly some hard-fought games.Looking forward to the matchup.Go Zips!!
Hello Ziplock, The first year that Akron was in the OVC (81-82) the conference consisted of Akron, Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Morehead, Murray State, Tennessee Tech, Eastern Kentucky, and Youngstown State. It was also Youngstown State's first year in the OVC as well. Western Kentucky left the OVC the following year and joined the Sun Belt Conference even though WKU was one of the founding members of the OVC. Akron left the OVC after the 86-87 season and Youngstown State left the following year. The OVC picked up Tennessee State in the 87-88 season so they were the Zips replacement, I suppose. Middle Tennessee State left the OVC for the Sun Belt after the 99-2000 season but mainly for football reasons as they are now NCAA Div.I in football. The OVC has since picked up Southeast Missouri, Samford, Jacksonville State and Eastern Illinois and I think they did so mainly for football reasons. Austin Peay killed scholarship football several years ago but revived scholarship football this past year and will rejoin OVC play. Jax. State and Eastern Illinois are consistently at or near the bottom of the OVC in basketball virtually every year and SEMO is pretty much a middle of the pack team although they have won one OVC championship. Samford does alright but they play Bob Cousey, 1950's slowball. It's hard to prepare for the Princeton style. Still, they haven't won the OVC and are not going to win it very many times. Murray State and Austin Peay have won the lion's share of the titles over the past 20 years with Murray getting the lion's share of the NCAA bids. With the exception of perhaps Youngstown State, I do not think the OVC was geographically suitable for Akron to have any big rivalries. Even though it is called the OHIO Valley Conference, there are no teams from Ohio in it. If Akron was located in Southern Ohio then that would have brought you much closer geographically to teams such as Morehead and Eastern Kentucky.

How could anyone not be a Monkees fan? They were a major influence on the Beatles! Um...NO...Beatles were around waaayyyy b4 the Monkees. But their music was fun. They were the first NSync....media created boy band... :screwks: GO ZIPS!
That's actually a quote from Dumb and Dumber. Trust me, I know my rock n' roll.

How could anyone not be a Monkees fan? They were a major influence on the Beatles! Um...NO...Beatles were around waaayyyy b4 the Monkees. But their music was fun. They were the first NSync....media created boy band... :screwks: GO ZIPS!
That's actually a quote from Dumb and Dumber. Trust me, I know my rock n' roll.
I thought you were kidding on that one Bum....but when we're almost a generation apart...you never know for sure.I see you down there at the games....keep up the good fight! :screwks: