Bball Gameday Production

goodthts

and the Univ gets what it pays for....cheap, inexperienced students creating cheap, uninspiring results
and the thing is, I am sure there are students who could do the job who have more imagination and a make-it-happen attitude, but those type of people usually don't come knocking on your door.

I read Rasor's edge the week before and in no way did i get the impression that he is criticizing the students who produce the game. I have no idea why the student is offended. The university is using cheap labor, low budget material in an old building; the result is a poor gameday production. No body said that it was the student's fault.

I feel the criticism was not the video board but the gimmicks they do throughout. The Giant Eagle thing at half time has become painful to watch as an example. And it COULD be good if some more planning would go into it. For example, at the Ball State game, they picked a portion of the stands that couldn't be seen by any camera angle EXCEPT to shoot through two banners hanging from the ceiling. Also, the prizes are sad. i know that all but one is supposed to be a "gag" gift, but make the main gift something equivalent to a $50 team shop gift certificate. Or something of greater value. Better yet, do what I've seen at countless stadiums: give away the main prize even if they don't pick the right item!!! I know it may seem to kill the purpose for the contest, but it leaves everyone with a "that's nice" feeling. The entire point is to get everyone's attention and promo Giant Eagle, so don't be so cheap!!BTW, i wanted to respond to that letter on the Buchtelite's site, but the 'discussion' section was not active. :blink:

I think a good idea would be to give four free tickets to a future Zips home gameYou give the fan something they value, it worth something ($40), and it gets four more people to the JAR...and let's face it, we need to get people there in any way that we possibly can!Some other suggestions for Halftime:- Bring back the mascot game! Anything mascots are a part of is instantly funny - Why not invite youth leagues to play a 10 minute exhibition? Who doesn't enjoy these?

I always thought the production was done pretty well during games. I may be a bit biased since I know a few people that work at the JAR, but the content on Akron's video board is supreme to other MAC schools. The videos played on other boards are generally long and drawn out. I think Akron's promos are short and sweet. Get your attention, entertain you for a few seconds and let you carry on. Other schools play a promo for like 3 or 4 minutes and no one even pays attention past about 20 seconds.I've never watched the screens during gameplay, so I don't know how the coverage or replays are. I do think the University has tried to step it up a bit with the pyro before games, but I know its impossible to turn off the lights when they do it, unless they wanna postpone the game 8 minutes while the lights fire back up.

I have always felt that the Giant Eagle promotion was lame. For the Ball State game, my wife was the one chosen, and even with a stake in it, it was still lame for us. We finished it happy that we didn't get stuck with the 50 cent miniature pool table and instead managed to squeak out a $7 snow tube.Another thing that I don't understand--why would Time Warner agree to put their name on a T-Shirt cannon that only works 25% of the time. i wouldn't want my company's name anywhere near that thing!I like the youth basketball exhibition idea and other thoughts like that. The indivdual one-time things that are included at halftime tend to be good (except when the one girl shattered her arm prior to the dance exhibition) but the every-game promotions are kind of lame.How about any kid can sign up before the game for a drawing and they pick 5 or 10 to get their name on the board at half tmie and come down and play some game with Zippy. Anyone with a kid eats that stuff up!

How about any kid can sign up before the game for a drawing and they pick 5 or 10 to get their name on the board at half tmie and come down and play some game with Zippy. Anyone with a kid eats that stuff up!
That's a damn good point. I may be showing that I have absolutely no life at all, but if anyone has ever watched America's Funniest Home Videos, you'll find that the winner always has a kid in it.

"Another thing that I don't understand--why would Time Warner agree to put their name on a T-Shirt cannon that only works 25% of the time. i wouldn't want my company's name anywhere near that thing!"I think they puts their name on it because it works just like some of their own products.