Strickland's message to UA

If Strickland wants to shutter grad programs to further subsidize undergrad tuition then so be it, but do it fairly and evenly across the system, including Tosu. The spiel about Ohio State being founded as the "flagship" for a statewide system is completely fabricated...it was established as a land grant agricultural/mechanical college, nothing more.http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=785
With no quality considerations? Just go around the state in a round-robin cutting programs ? Shutter our top 20 chemistry, physics, business or political science programs so that UT or OU can keep an insignificant program? Shutter programs at the state's only public AAU university in order to keep lesser regarded programs open elsewhere. Ohio State's policy has always been that they will put their programs on the table if regional/pork-barrel politics are taken out of the decision making process.As to the flagship question. Yes, Ohio State was founded as a land-grant college--a designation that Miami and OU fought tooth and nail to get. There, however, were many reasons why they were passed over making Ohio the only Great Lakes state that founded a new university as its land-grant institution rather than designating an existing college. If you really want to understand the detailed history of why Ohio State was founded and what its purpose was meant to be, I suggest that you do a little research. In any case, the matter was settled with the Eagleson Bill of 1906, which designated Ohio State as the state's flagship university and barred Miami and OU (and eventually Can't State and BG) from offering doctoral education or conducting basic research, and it was confirmed with Ohio State's 1916 election into the Association of American Universities.

hey flagship boy, if you wanna send students all across the state to universities that they shouldn't have to, then we can also send professors and resources to re-distribute the programs to all of the major universities so that they each offer a similar number and level of programs.If you are for stripping programs from universities all across the state, then you should sacrifice programs at your beloved "flagship" in order to evenly distribute programs around the state.I still say, you are all about crowning one state school, and screwing the rest. You have NONE of the altruistic and naively noble goals that you claim to. This is nothing more than a camplaign to protect tOSU from up and coming universities. If it's not, then agree to make sacrificies. Stop talking outa both sides of your mouth.

hey flagship boy, if you wanna send students all across the state to universities that they shouldn't have to, then we can also send professors and resources to re-distribute the programs to all of the major universities so that they each offer a similar number and level of programs.If you are for stripping programs from universities all across the state, then you should sacrifice programs at your beloved "flagship" in order to evenly distribute programs around the state.
Laughable. I'm the one being accused of Communism. What you propose above sounds mightily along the lines of, "from each according to his abilities; to each according to his needs." Oh, it's so unfair that Ohio State has 23 National Academies members on its faculty and we have none. Force some of them to relocate to Akron.BTW, you can't, by state mandate and Leninist central planning, force faculty to relocate from a USN&WR tier-1/AAU member university to USN&WR tier-4/non AAU universities. They'll just leave for another AAU university and take their research funding with them. Then again, the position of the regional colleges has nothing to do with what's best for the state and everything to do with their narrow institutional egos and delusions of challenging the throne. The Cleveland Plain Dealer's supportive editorial on the subject summed it up perfectly, "These goals are attainable if institutions can put the state's broad interests ahead of their individual desires. Their leaders should know that we -- and the state officials who control their purse strings -- will be watching closely."As for being afraid of these "up and coming" universities, they've been chasing Ohio State for a century, and what have they accomplished. Hell, even when we had a governor in office for twenty years who forcibly dumbed down Ohio State and leveled the playing field, they still couldn't catch up. They're no closer to AAU membership than they were when Rhodes first took office in 1962. They're no closer to USN&WR's top tier than they were when the rankings started in 1983. Miami just dropped 7 spots in the new rankings. OU has dropped 14 in the last three years. The rest are no closer to digging themselves out of the third or fourth tiers than they've ever been. All that they've done is waste millions of taxpayer dollars that could have been better spent subsidizing undergraduate tuition and funding the one university in Ohio that has a realistic chance of providing Ohio with a Berkeley or a Michigan Again, The Plain Dealer is right on the mark.

I can't imagine a better leader for UA than Dr. Proenza!  Here's to hoping that he stays with the University for another 5+ years... :cheers:
Please. The man's a clown. :rofl:
http://www.uakron.edu/president/bio.phpprez_title.jpgDr. Luis M. ProenzaAs chief executive officer of The University of Akron, the public research university for northern Ohio, Dr. Luis M. Proenza provides overall leadership to more than 4,500 faculty and staff and oversees an annual budget of $350 million serving more than 24,000 students in 350 academic programs, including a consortium medical school and three branch campuses.Under Dr. Proenza's leadership, the University has undertaken several major initiatives, including a $300 million "New Landscape for Learning" campus enhancement program with 9 new buildings and major additions or renovations of 14 other facilities, a University Park Alliance project supported by the Knight Foundation to revitalize a 40-block neighborhood and commercial area surrounding the campus, and information technology (IT) investments that have established the University as a national leader in IT and made it one of the most "wired for wireless" universities in the country.Dr. Proenza has brought private donations to an all-time record and garnered the two largest gifts ever made to the University. He also has expanded the University's outreach with the creation of two new regional branch campuses, and he has spearheaded an innovative enrollment management program that has generated significant increases in new and transfer students. Dr. Proenza's marketing and leadership initiatives earned him the 2005 Chief Executive Leadership Award from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) District V and the 2001 Executive of the Year Award by the Sales and Marketing Executives Association of Akron; along with recognitions by Crain's Cleveland Business, which named him to its Power Pack – the list of the 50 most influential people in Northeast Ohio; and Inside Business, which listed him among "The Power 100." In 2001, President George W. Bush appointed Dr. Proenza to serve on the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), the nation's highest-level policy advisory group for science and technology. The group advises the president and assists the Office of Science and Technology Policy and the National Science and Technology Council in securing private-sector involvement in their activities. Dr. Proenza has served on PCAST panels on U.S. Research and Development Investments, Technology Transfer, Energy Efficiency and Advanced Manufacturing, and also serves on panels addressing Nanotechnology, Alternative Energy and IT. Dr. Proenza is a member of The Council on Competitiveness, where he serves on the executive committee and on the National Innovation Initiative Leadership Council. In addition, he sits on the Advisory Board of the U.S. Secretary of Energy and chairs the Science and Mathematics Education Task Force. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and serves on the Board of the State Science and Technology Institute. Dr. Proenza was appointed by Governor Bob Taft to Ohio’s Third Frontier Advisory Board, and he chairs the Ohio Supercomputer Center. He previously served on the NAS-NRC Committee on Vision, the National Biotechnology Policy Board, the U.S. Arctic Research Commission (appointed by former President George H.W. Bush), and as Advisor for Science and Technology Policy to Alaska Governor Walter J. Hickel.Before coming to The University of Akron, Dr. Proenza was Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School at Purdue University. He previously served as Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research and as Vice Chancellor for Research and Dean of the Graduate School at the University of Alaska.Dr. Proenza holds a bachelor's degree from Emory University (1965), a master's degree from The Ohio State University (1966) and a doctorate from the University of Minnesota (1971). He joined the faculty of the University of Georgia in 1971, where his research was continuously supported by grants from the National Eye Institute, including a Research Career Development Award, and where he also served as Assistant to the President and University Liaison for Science and Technology Policy.In Ohio, he is past president of the Inter-University Council and serves on the Northeast Ohio Council on Higher Education, on the Executive Council of the Northeast Ohio Technology Coalition (NorTech) and on the Executive Committee of the Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce. He also serves on the Board of the Akron Roundtable.Dr. Proenza is a member of many professional, scholarly and honorary organizations; is the recipient of several awards and honors; and has written numerous publications in nationally and internationally recognized journals. In addition, he edited and co-edited two books. He is invited frequently to speak throughout the country and abroad, and his presentations have appeared in Vital Speeches of the Day and The Executive Speaker. He often is quoted on issues affecting higher education, research and economic development.Dr. Proenza and his wife, Theresa Butler Proenza, enjoy their careers, friends and numerous community activities. Together, they built the 44-foot sailing vessel, Apogee, which they sail on Lake Erie.

Still, even if you vehamently disagree, it wasn't name calling. It may have been inaccurate, and it may have even been wrong, but you seem to me to be using the whole righteous indignation to attack someone's opinion.As I said, if you disagree, say so. You were not attacked.
Zen, calling Strickland and Fingerhut "communists" with all its nefarious implications qualifies in my opinion as name calling. I never said I personally was attacked. It was, and remains a response to an insidiousness in our society to label, dismiss, and ultimately villify an individual. It's pure McCarthyism and is prevalent on both sides of the political spectrum. Self righteousness is characterized by a callous overconfidence in one's ability to discern what is best for you. My response was harsh, but sometimes light is best shed through satire, however rough it must be. There wasn't an iota of self righteousness in my response for I hold no tenents above reasonable and civil debate. The hurtful, anti-intellectual stuff propagated by gozips serves only to further erode discourse and in my opinion was not worthy of a discussion involving the communistic traits and total control scheme proferred.

Just to let you all know, your new troll from tOAMU has been kicked off of about every sports board for the Ohio-based MAC schools.His username across most of cyberspace is ORD_Buckeye. A Google search of that username would show you plenty of bashing of Akron, Can't, Miami, OU, BGSU... This guy even posed as a former Miami alumni over on MHT and tried to spew the same BS that he's started over here. He's also made racist comments on several websites and said that he attends Miami. He has it in for all Ohio schools besides the one in Cow Town. The funny thing about all of this is that he truly doesn't care about the State of Ohio. He lives in Chicago and has made several hate filled posts about NE Ohio (especially Cleveland and Akron).His agenda is one where he wants nothing more than Ohio's public universities to fail (besides tOAMU). Its sick and twisted and reeks of obsession.Have fun with this troll. You'll learn a TON about Jim Rhodes, Fredo, Eric Fingerjam, and will be spewed a bunch of lies all the while.Best of luck to the University of Akron and your Zips in the upcoming season. Congrats also on the stadium...it looks fantastic!

Thanks for the info on this goober. As far as I'm concerned, he's welcome here anytime...he makes The Central Ohio Regional University look ridiculous and gives us a chance to tout our school. You just wonder if he's really that far gone or just likes pushing people's buttons. Maybe he actually hates Tosu and is just posing as a pompous a$$...you just don't know. His posts are entertaining to read though, how we're egotistical for supposedly wanting to be like Tosu...does anyone else find that ironic and/or twisted? That said, going back to the original thread topic, it will be interesting to see how Strickland goes about trying to develop a state univ. system. It appears he is making the rounds planting the seeds and softening up the schools to fall in line. Although they may be buckeye football fans, I don't think most Ohio voters are going to appreciate the redistribution of their tax dollars from Akron, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc. to the Columbus Kingdom.

This guy even posed as a former Miami alumni over on MHT and tried to spew the same BS that he's started over here. He's also made racist comments on several websites and said that he attends Miami.
As far as I can tell, I simply posted my thoughts on a thread with an issue that I find of great interest. That's obssesive, yet following me around the web in some lame attempt to discredit me is not.For the record, whatever this board might think of my views on higher education, I have never in my life posted anything racist. What's really ironic is that I'm about as far left on matters of race and civil rights as you can get, yet I have someone from Miami of all places attempting to discredit me on issues of race.FWIW, I did pose on their board as one of their alumni. I went over there honestly to discuss our last game and received their usual superiority complex, so I created the alumni character and forced them to pull their heads out of their asses long enough to take an honest look at how their beloved boarding school really compares to other universities in the state. Maybe that's racism in their book. I will cop to being an anti-Miamite. Given the massive ego of the Miami mentality is it any wonder that they can't deal with a lowly "aggie" getting over on them for nearly a year and now have to follow me from thread to thread spewing their racist b.s. to discredit me. Just remember, you might hate and disagree with the higher education policies that I support, but I do so because I honestly believe that is what will make a stonger overall system. Your brethren in Oxford look so far down their noses at the rest of the MAC and Ohio public schools that they don't even want to be part of any system. Their sense of self-entitlement and ridiculous superiority complex has them constantly whining that they should be a private university. They're apparently too special to even be affiliated with Akron and the rest. Keep that in mind when judging who does and doesn't look down at your school.