In game thread

LosAngelesZipFan

I woulda liked to see CJ a little more. because as i hear all the time by sports casters..... a season ending injury is only 1 play away.... and if we dont have QB that has gametime snaps, we might be in trouble. SO LETS PLAY CJ MORE. we could have easily put him in with 5 minutes to go when army punted and we got the ball back.

Attendance: 17865
Was that the total number of legs in attendance?Or total number of toes?Cause it couldn't have been people in attendance.
I'd venture a guess of about 12,000. It wasn't as bad as it looked on TV, the lower bowl was about 80% full. But some of that might have been from Akron's band, which I am pretty sure has gained around 100 new members this year.

Pathetic showing in terms of attendance.
:unsure: It was a good crowd. The game was "away" on a holiday weekend. The cheapest tix were $15 and those sold out. I think they were in the end zone which was pretty full but the better seats cost a lot more and so remained emptier which you saw on TV. People aren't going to pay $30 ea. for a family to watch mid-major ball. It was the most Zips shirts & hats I've seen being worn in one place and they were selling a bunch more at halftime. We have the beginnings of a solid fan base and they will come to the new stadium. Consistent winning will add the bandwagon fans. I think we will be averaging 25K in 2 years easily.

ZippyRulz. I've been around this program waaaaaay too long to agree with a wishful thinker who thinks that Akron is going to average 25,000 fans per game anytime soon. If my facts serve me correctly, that would far exceed every other school in the MAC. I'm hoping you're right, but for us to double or triple the number of people who consistently show up to Zips games in the next couple of years, we'd need something just short of a miracle to happen.

ZippyRulz. I've been around this program waaaaaay too long to agree with a wishful thinker who thinks that Akron is going to average 25,000 fans per game anytime soon. If my facts serve me correctly, that would far exceed every other school in the MAC. I'm hoping you're right, but for us to double or triple the number of people who consistently show up to Zips games in the next couple of years, we'd need something just short of a miracle to happen.
I would count the stadium as something just short of a miracle. How may of us dared to dream of something that nice right on campus, just a few years ago? All Akron needs to do is win a few bowl games and pull off the occasional upset. It can happen, just look at 2005s games in Detroit and how many Akron fans showed up. Don't you think that even more would show up for a home game if we were champs?

Ok guys...I like the optimism. Don't get me wrong. If the new stadium is coupled with some MAC championships, more bowl appearances, and some upsets over some bigger-conference schools, it "can" happen. If it doesn't, the novelty of the new stadium will wear off in a matter of a couple of years.You mentioned our last bowl appearance. I have news for you, even people I know in important positions at the U of A at the time knew that many of those people were on the bandwagon for 1 game. They were not going to become regular fans, and the number of people you saw at our homes games last year proved that to be true. You're talking about doubling or tripling the attendance we've had ever since we've been in 1-A, on a week-in, week-out, and year-in, year-out basis.It's simply not going to happen unless we become the old Marshall of the MAC, and show that we are competing on the national stage. Just being competitive in the MAC, or having a new facility, is not going to suddenly and consistently turn 20,000 more Akronites into weekly die-hard Akron football fans.What's happening in the MAC simply doesn't matter to most people. You won't get this many more people's attention until we reach Marshall's status of a few years ago. New Stadium.MAC Titles.Consistent Bowl Appearances.Showing that we are competitive on a "National" stage.No small feat.