WEWS Newschannel 5

g-mann17

Misson must be the sports guy
Without a doubt...and not a highly-paid one either.
From what I have seen he is the Executive Sports ProducerTommy"Tucker was informed by the NFL sometime in the last five days that he will be suspended for the first four games of the season, reported NewsChannel5 executive sports producer Tom Misson."More Tommy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big ZIP, Fat Albert's (George Thomas) article clearly states it came down to a choice. The lady you wrote to probably said that because it was the best excuse to cause little problems. If it wasn't a choice, WEWS would have came out and apologized with this excuse because that would be more understandable.They didn't use this excuse, instead they talked about how they didn't want to piss off all the frontrunners in this area that root for the Suckeyes.Contract agreement? According to George Thomas, the lady that told you that was not the correct person to talk to.

Bobby...that's exactly my question at this point.My response from Channel 5 clearly states that they were "under contract" to make this decision.However, the Channel 5 exec. that Thomas talks to when doing his article seems to clearly indicate that it was a "business decision".As they say, "Something stinks in Denmark".

Misson must be the sports guy
Without a doubt...and not a highly-paid one either.
From what I have seen he is the Executive Sports ProducerTommy"Tucker was informed by the NFL sometime in the last five days that he will be suspended for the first four games of the season, reported NewsChannel5 executive sports producer Tom Misson."More Tommy
Don't be fooled by fancy titles.No. 1...I've never heard of an executive sports producer at a Cleveland TV station before.No. 2...even if they have one, all it means is that he's an on-air wannbe who goes out with the camera crew to get interviews then edits the highlights and other stuff for the anchor...in other words, a tape gofer.His e-mail proves that he's nothing but a young smart ass who forgets who the customer is.

No. 1...I've never heard of an executive sports producer at a Cleveland TV station before.No. 2...even if they have one, all it means is that he's an on-air wannbe who goes out with the camera crew to get interviews then edits the highlights and other stuff for the anchor...in other words, a tape gofer.
I wish I got a cool title for being a gofer.

No. 1...I've never heard of an executive sports producer at a Cleveland TV station before.No. 2...even if they have one, all it means is that he's an on-air wannbe who goes out with the camera crew to get interviews then edits the highlights and other stuff for the anchor...in other words, a tape gofer.
lol, title or not, your job would still be the same.Would you want to be a sanitation engineer just to get the title?

How about senior executive studio manager???Good lesson here Bum...never talk down to your viewers...not that you would. As you've learned, for many, gray matter between the ears is not a prerequisite for TV news!

Speaking of media stuff that should have been flip-flopped, I don't think viewers will long forget missing the end of Saturday's Can't State-Akron thriller in favor of some local commercials and a national pre-game show for the Ohio State-Northwestern game.Channel 5's decision to cut away with 1:13 left and Can't driving down 27-20 still cuts viewers like Robert who writes, "... It wasn't until 9 minutes later that the OSU game actually started. Everyone I know is very upset about this. I would greatly appreciate it if you could report this story sometime this week. It would give your newscast a lot of respect for sticking up for the Zips."I've gotten quite a few emails from folks still upset ... but since I work across town, I can't really speak for WEWS's decision .. other than I think they underestimated the local viewership.
Eric Mansfield

WAKR always had the highest rating pf all the stations in Summit and Stark county but was low when it came to the Cleveland market.the story
Well, they were the only TV station in Summit Co...if you don't count PBS 49.Akron is in the Cleveland market, therefore, goes up against the Cleveland stations.Never had the budget to compete.Akron is bigger than Youngstown...Dayton...but we're just too close to Cleveland.If Akron were located, hmmm, lets see, like where Dover/New Philly are, it would have it's own market...about the same distance as Dayton to Cincy.

Does anyone remember the old Akron 23 news?I used to laugh so hard at the weather guy. While all the clevelnd stations had these neat digital weather maps, he had a map with magic marker showing the temperatures. That show was so cheap. Then they changed it to 23 Newsday. It had some semi-ugly woman and Mark Williamson. it was a new set. I think the weather guy had little magnets to hold the temperatures on. It was the cheapest and worst news ever. However, it was Akron news and that is why I watched it.

Bobby...that's exactly my question at this point.My response from Channel 5 clearly states that they were "under contract" to make this decision.However, the Channel 5 exec. that Thomas talks to when doing his article seems to clearly indicate that it was a "business decision".As they say, "Something stinks in Denmark".
That's because "Something's rotten in Denmark"!See what a University of Akron education gets you. Smart Aleck Degree. :D

WAKR always had the highest rating pf all the stations in Summit and Stark county but was low when it came to the Cleveland market.the story
Well, they were the only TV station in Summit Co...if you don't count PBS 49.Akron is in the Cleveland market, therefore, goes up against the Cleveland stations.Never had the budget to compete.Akron is bigger than Youngstown...Dayton...but we're just too close to Cleveland.If Akron were located, hmmm, lets see, like where Dover/New Philly are, it would have it's own market...about the same distance as Dayton to Cincy.
I thought the biggest reason a station never stuck in Akron was because of a lack of network exclusivity.Had ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX taken over an Akron station they would have had the budget. Maybe 30 years ago there were issues with the power of the antenna output, but today with modern modes of media output there is no excuse for them to have all 4 network stations.Though the way Northeast Ohio media works it wouldn't matter if we (Akron) had our own exclusive station; they would still have more Buckeyes coverage then Zips coverage anyway.

Does anyone remember the old Akron 23 news?I used to laugh so hard at the weather guy. While all the clevelnd stations had these neat digital weather maps, he had a map with magic marker showing the temperatures. That show was so cheap. Then they changed it to 23 Newsday. It had some semi-ugly woman and Mark Williamson. it was a new set. I think the weather guy had little magnets to hold the temperatures on. It was the cheapest and worst news ever. However, it was Akron news and that is why I watched it.
Watch it Buck, my wife worked there! :D I think the weather guy you're talking about was "Jolly" Jack Ryan, who was also on the radio mid-days.And don't discount the weather magnets. Dick Goddard kept his years after Channel 8 went to the computer because it was always breaking down.A good back up.There was a day, I would say the 70's when WAKR radio and TV was a solid news operation. However, as the biz changed and the hi-tech, expensive technology came in, they just didn't have the bucks to keep up.They had some solid reporters over there:Fred Anthony, Dick Russ, Tom Shay, Bob Jeffries, Kenny Halterman, Rob Dumke, Carl Dickens, Mark, Bill McKay...very impressive staff.And those markers...Wally Kinnan used them on channel 3 too. However, he used them in the 60's and WAKR was still using them in the early 80's. :lol:

I thought the biggest reason a station never stuck in Akron was because of a lack of network exclusivity.Had ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX taken over an Akron station they would have had the budget. Maybe 30 years ago there were issues with the power of the antenna output, but today with modern modes of media output there is no excuse for them to have all 4 network stations.Though the way Northeast Ohio media works it wouldn't matter if we (Akron) had our own exclusive station; they would still have more Buckeyes coverage then Zips coverage anyway.
Well if you remember, Channel 23 was an ABC affiliate.But really, unless the station is owned and operated by the network, it really doesn't matter what affiliation you are with regard to the resources you have. I always thought being an ABC hurt 23 because most watched channel 5 for their prime time shows. The news was the only way for 23 to be different.With regard to the signal, being a UHF hurt them in the pre-cable days...but how many people still have the tenner rotor on the roof anymore?I never though I would see a UHF CBS affiliate in Cleveland either, but we have one now because with cable and sattellite, it really doesn't matter anymore.What it came down to for 23 was further fragmentation of the audience affecting advertising revenue, therefore profits, therefore no more news.

My recollection of the downfall of Channel 23 was advertising revenue. Being in the same market as Cleveland, we would end up way down the list on ratings, could not get big advertising dollars, and thus, could not put on a competitive news cast.There are much smaller cities than Akron that have their own newscast. But fortunately for them, they have no competition from a larger media market because there aren't any in close proximity.This is all about us being too close to Cleveland, as many of you have said.

My recollection of the downfall of Channel 23 was advertising revenue. Being in the same market as Cleveland, we would end up way down the list on ratings, could not get big advertising dollars, and thus, could not put on a competitive news cast.There are much smaller cities than Akron that have their own newscast. But fortunately for them, they have no competition from a larger media market because there aren't any in close proximity.This is all about us being too close to Cleveland, as many of you have said.
When WAKR radio seperated from the TV, I knew it was coming. The radio revenue is what propped up the TV for many years when the radio station was number one in each book. Akron and Canton do have separate rating books than Cleveland for radio.However, we're all lumped in there together for TV.

Watch it Buck, my wife worked there! :D I think the weather guy you're talking about was "Jolly" Jack Ryan, who was also on the radio mid-days.And don't discount the weather magnets. Dick Goddard kept his years after Channel 8 went to the computer because it was always breaking down.A good back up.There was a day, I would say the 70's when WAKR radio and TV was a solid news operation. However, as the biz changed and the hi-tech, expensive technology came in, they just didn't have the bucks to keep up.They had some solid reporters over there:Fred Anthony, Dick Russ, Tom Shay, Bob Jeffries, Kenny Halterman, Rob Dumke, Carl Dickens, Mark, Bill McKay...very impressive staff.And those markers...Wally Kinnan used them on channel 3 too. However, he used them in the 60's and WAKR was still using them in the early 80's. :lol:
Sorry 81. I am sure that wasn't your wife.In retropsect, I was only a kid. Maybe she was hot and I was too young to notice.

Sorry 81. I am sure that wasn't your wife.In retropsect, I was only a kid. Maybe she was hot and I was too young to notice.
No sweat..I was just kidding.She was there in the late 80's early 90's.

Akron is the largest American city without a TV market.
Yeah, and it's highly likely that we're also the largest American city with a D-1 university where the local newspaper provides next to zero coverage of that D-1 university. :mad_flame: The way that rag is going, it too will be riding off into the sunset and the Plain Dealer will simply add an "Akron-area news" section to its paper. We and the rest of the MAC get better coverage from Elton Alexander anyway ...