Akron Soccer Article

Ok..someone correct me if I am wrong here.We've had a nationally-competitive soccer program for decades now, right? We even played in the national championship game back in 1987, and were the #1 ranked team in the country for several weeks back in 2005. I don't recall EVER seeing a game story about an Akron soccer game on the front page of the ABJ the following morning after a game.But today, after playing Ohio State, "Ohio's only major university" according to some, we end up on the front page of the sports section. I know we'll take whatever coverage we can get, but I just find it funny that we got our most high profile game coverage ever after playing Ohio State.

Just coincidental, I'm sure ... slow sports night and it just happened to work out this time around. :rolleyes: Ohio A&M manages to get one shot on goal and it happens to go in. Otherwise, Akron gets a 1-0 win. Bummer. Good match between two evenly-matched teams (at least from what I could tell).

Most reports say that we dominated. Unfortunate that we didn't pull out the win, but that happens sometimes. We still own OHio A&M in the overall series over the years...I don't have the exact numbers, but it's something like 20 wins, 6 losses, and 3 ties in favor of UAWhat I don't like is that the article labels Ohio A&M as being #25 ranked and us not at all. This makes it sound like OHio A&M is the superior program when in actuality there are four different men's college soccer polls and we're ranked in 3 out of 4 and yet, that rag of a publication chooses to refer to the one we're not represented in.

I was shocked to see on the box score that Caleb used just one sub (Zemanski) -- beside the GK injury -- the entire game! I have never seen a college game with just one sub. I know we have more depth than that. Any idea what's up?BTW -- I assume that Irizarry from OA&M is the brother of their former tight end, who moved back to YSU. (??)Two big road games coming up next. Greensboro an NCAA tournament caliber team will be a tough nut to crack. Then Wright State, which usually is easy to crack.Go Zipfutbol :wave: