Basketball Rankings - An Early Look

skip-zip

I thought I would post this since I spent my lunch hour today browsing through the Sagarin ratings.OUR RANKING126TEAMS WE'VE PLAYEDSouth Carolina Upstate - Win - Ranking=340Portland State - Loss - Ranking=169 (ouch)Tennessee State - Win - Ranking=281Binghamton - Win - Ranking=293Not much to write home about so far, especially with a "bad loss" already on our resume. UPCOMING GAMESTemple - Ranking=98 (this would be a "good win")Wyoming - Ranking=160Winthrop - Ranking=65 (the highest ranked team we'll play during our OOC schedule)KEY MAC EAST OPPONENTSMiami - Ranking=51 (the highest ranked team we'll play all year)Can't State = Ranking=93OU - Ranking=100This looks to be the basis for the prognosticators picking us to finish 4th in the MAC East.

Akron received 0 votes in the AP and USA Today polls this week. Miami got 3 in the AP and 10 in the USA Today. OU got 2 in the AP. Looks like that loss is already hurting any chances we had of inching up the rankings. Of course Miami already beat Xavier and played USC close. College Insider has not released the new Mid Major Top 25 yet today.

Guys, this is what I keep talking about....If we are going to play in tournaments against #340, #169, and #280...this is the kind of respect you get. ESPECIALLY if you finish in 3rd place. Hip Zip...let's hope Portland State lights it up this year, and makes that loss not look so bad.Bleacher Bum...playing against premier teams helps you in a lot of way, win or lose. I'm not surprised at all that Miami and OU have replaced us in the "also receiving votes" category, based on who we've play, and how we've peformed. As opposed to who they've play, and how they've performed (although OU might be off the radar again after a loss to Colgate tonight). I'm sorry, but I've been around this program for 3 decades, and I've experienced all of the heartaches. And it's not going to change unless we upgrade our schedule. We could run the table in the OOC schedule that we have this year, and still not be on anyone's radar in terms of national ranking because the overall SOS is so weak. So are we really growing our program?Ok...forgive my rant....we just had a good, quality win tonight. So, let's enjoy it and go and trounce Wyoming on Saturday. Go Zips !!