Now's the time

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/27431624.html
Coach Caleb Porter believes that lofty goals are attainable goals for his University of Akron men's soccer team.The Zips, who open Friday against Notre Dame in the Indiana Classic in Bloomington, Ind., are coming off a 2007 season that saw them seeded 14th in the NCAA Division I Tournament and finish 10th nationally in the final Ratings Percentage Index.With four experienced seniors returning and two nationally recognized recruiting classes ready to contribute, Porter is thinking big now and in the future.''Our goal is to be an elite program every single year,'' said Porter, who signed a contract extension through 2011 in June after his first two teams had a combined record of 28-9-3. ''Our goal is be in the postseason and to win it.''The mindset is in place. The players have bought into our vision and our style. The formula is there and we are putting in the work. In the long term, we are hoping to win a national championship eventually. Hopefully, it's this year.''If that sounds overly ambitious to hear 'Akron' and 'national championship' together, consider that in the 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons, the Zips' winning percentage of 78.2 (45-10-7) is the best in the country among Division I men's soccer programs.A building block was assembled in 2007 when the Zips were nationally ranked all season and won the Mid-American Conference regular-season and tournament titles.A first-round bye in the NCAA Tournament was the reward, but a second-round loss at home to South Florida was the ultimate downer.''We have mixed emotions about last season. We had a great season as a team. We accomplished a lot, but we had a higher ambition than the second round of the NCAAs,'' tri-captain Ossie Michalsen said. ''We were very disappointed when it happened. We have to build on it, learn from it. We know we have to perform better when we have a challenge like that again.''Porter is optimistic about his 2008 team and his future teams. He is just as optimistic that he will continue to bring in the calibre of recruiting classes that he did the last two years.''There is no reason we shouldn't be getting these players,'' he said. ''If you have a tradition like Akron, have the changes on campus that are happening and you come watch us play and train, there is no reason we can't get kids like that.''The 2008 Zips will be without six departed seniors, including MAC player of the year Corey Sipos and All-MAC selections Elliott Bradbrook and Steve Kalan.Six starters are back, including three midfielders — sophomores Anthony Ampaipitakwong and Blair Gavin and senior Matt Tutich. Also returning are senior goalkeeper Evan Bush, sophomore forward Steve Zakuani and Michalsen, a senior defender.''I like this group. Initially, I was concerned losing the six seniors,'' Porter said. ''But over the winter and spring, we developed an identity. I started to realize the chemistry, the spirit, the unity and the leadership were strong.''Bush returns in goal after allowing only 0.55 goals per game last season, one of the 10 best marks in the country.''He is as good as it gets, someone I feel has potential at the next level,'' Porter said. ''I wouldn't want anyone else back there.''The backline lost four regulars from last year. Michalsen and Andrew Tipton (Lake High) were major contributors last year and are back. Expected to play major roles in 2008 are freshman Kofi Sarkodie and sophomore Chris Korb.The Zips' four-player midfield rotation will be led by Gavin, Tutich and Ampaipitakwong. Also expected to see extensive time are junior Ben Zemanski (CVCA), freshman Darlington Nagbe and sophomore Michael Nanchoff (Walsh Jesuit). Nanchoff is expected to miss the first four weeks with mono.At forward, UA will rely heavily on Zakuani, the 2007 MAC newcomer of the year. Last week, Zakuani was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the Hermann Trophy given to the best Division I player in the country.''I think he is one of the most dangerous players in college soccer,'' Porter said. ''He has lightning pace and has as much skill as any player you are going to see. He can individually pull a rabbit out of a hat and he can carve people up off the dribble.''After playing Notre Dame on Friday, the Zips meet Indiana on Sunday in the same event. The first home game is Sept. 5, against West Virginia.