Just some thoughts

Class of 82

Dont get me wrong, I love Akron's sound, but like you mentioned, the marching and stepping style (or how you put it "crowd-pleasing" style) leaves something to be desired.At least we can say we're better than can't state in that they have to use microphones and speakers hooked up to the band so that people can hear them across the stadium while our band was clearly audible from the the opposite endzone (not EXACTLY that far, but close enough)
the problem with marching band is now and has always been that you are sending musicians in to entertain football fans. not exactly two like minded groups. the football fans have the ADD mentality of wanting something f-lashy and easy to follow, but the musicians are more into things that you have to look hard at to find the beauty. in other words it's like sending ballerinas to work at a strip club

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong, I love Akron's sound, but like you mentioned, the marching and stepping style (or how you put it "crowd-pleasing" style) leaves something to be desired.At least we can say we're better than can't state in that they have to use microphones and speakers hooked up to the band so that people can hear them across the stadium while our band was clearly audible from the the opposite endzone (not EXACTLY that far, but close enough)
the problem with marching band is now and has always been that you are sending musicians in to entertain football fans. not exactly two like minded groups. the football fans have the ADD mentality of wanting something f-lashy and easy to follow, but the musicians are more into things that you have to look hard at to find the beauty. in other words it's like sending ballerinas to work at a strip club
thats quite the comparison :lol: :lol: I can definitelty see it from both sides. While I am not someone who has been in band or ever played an instrument, I spent a lot of time during high school with the band as many of my close friends were in band, so I have come to appreciate those smaller things in a marching band.Theres really no way of pleasing everybody in this case... at least not easily.

Ohio State's Marching band is vastly different than ours. Consider this... Akron's band consists of many, many instruments including horns and woodwinds. OSUs marching band is strictly horns/brass. They are a military-esque band. We aren't. They use the high-step march. We don't. Not that those things make our band bad, but its just our style. Each band has their own style. I have had the opportunity to witness TBDBITL in person, albeit that they were at the browns game against Dallas. Even so... they are a truley amazing band to watch as their precision and marching is damn near flawless. The script Ohio... aside from the fact that it's college's most touted tradition, is amazing to watch from a choreography standpoint because of the exact precision it takes to march perpendicular through the line without people running into each other. They are, in my opinion, a TRUE college MARCHING band.
The Suckeye's band would be booed off the field if they performed at a proper Drum & Bugle Corps show. A lot of what they have to offer in terms of quality of a band is as much over rated as their sports teams. They don't exactly high step either. It is a modified bicycle step (very easy form of high step). The forms they run at half time and pre-game are also very easy, however due to their large size as well as being an all brass band gives the impression they they look and sound great. This works on a certain level. As a whole, they show very well. Individually is a different matter. They cannot and never will compare to say the Canton Blue Coats or the Glassmen who very existence is competition.Akron's troubles root from other, larger problems. They do not have the luxury that Ohio A&M has in that they hold auditions for every spot. Akron puts on everybody that can make practices and games. Akron also doesn't march an all brass ensemble. This means that sound production will never reach the level of OA&M and other such bands (don't get me wrong, OA&M has several members who suck, but the fact that they have so many others who can play very well means the poor performers are drowned out). Akron also marches at half time the tradition Corps style low step. This allows the band to focus on sound quality and complexity of the drills without being caught up in complex foot movement. This is very boring for an audience to watch. This if the very reason that OU's band is a huge crowd pleaser. They look entertaining. Akron's band blows them away in sound quality, but they can never match OU's level of 'chuck and jive' which really gets the audience going. But rating bands has huge problems. Outside of true competitions that the Drum and Bugle Corps play, college bands have no real level of standard to meet. Do you care about the music they play? The quality of sound? The style and accuracy of marching? The entertainment value of the show? The Zips band may not give an entertaining show like OU, or have the drowning sound that LSU or tosu does, but the quality of music and sound generally is at or exceeds other bands in the area. I know of some MAC bands that would dream to be able to do some of the things that Akron does or has. Some could care less. In the case of Ohio A&M the question arises does their band please their crowd, or is the crowd simply pleased that it is tosu's marching band? I have had this discussion with many friends and members of these different college bands. Specifically at tosu, I have heard several incidents where they band would say they had horrible performances, but the crowd went nuts regardless. At the same time they booed for the opposing team's band even before they started playing. Oh, and on the subject of tosu; the script ohio is not very challenging for a band. I was apart of a high school band and have seen several other high school bands do the same perpendicular marching through their own lines and they did it flawlessly. To say that Akron's band has always been horrible is very ignorant and buys into the OA&M mindset. The prime of the Jackoboice era is an excellent example of how good the Zips band can be. I would argue that they were better and more entertaining that any other in the MAC and quite possibly tosu. Akron has a long way to go to get to that level again.The real question is, who cares? I'm sure there is a significant number of football fans who would rather have rock legends perform at half time like the pros have, and play the pep music during the game from recordings over the speakers. How could any band live up to fans who have no knowledge of what a good marching band is? Perhaps the new stadium venue will change things for the better in all levels of akron sports.
Someone is jealous and has been hanging around Tucker Jolly too long.

Most people do not care about the bands....I'm sorry.
Well, count me in as one that does think that the band plays a large part in the color and tradition of a college football game. This topic was discussed in detail last Spring in a thread I started named 'UA Traditions'. It was an interesting discussion and good reading for those of you that did not see it.Football is a game that has many war metaphors. This is the reason that many fans like to hear some military music and see military marching formations prior to a game. It would be exciting to hear a drum line from far off and then see a military march of 100 or so in the band approaching the field of battle (Infocision). I don't see why we could not do this, despite what instruments we have in the band. Stage at the Stiles field house (or JAR) next year and march (parade) to the stadium to drums and an occasional 'to arms' military bugal number. It would get everyone very excited and involved. I really like our fight song and how Akron's band plays it. You hear the quality of the sound of our band when the National Anthem is played. At halftime the band could show off its musical expertise, but before the game we need them to get us all worked up.

Nothing like a good band fight!Seriously I remember my first ACME Zips game, it was packed. I was probably 12 or 13 years old, it was against Salem College from Virginia I believe and the bowl was bursting at the seams. It was a great atmosphere...large cookout before the game at one of my stepdads friends house and there was a caravan of cars that went to the game afterwards.I miss those days when I used to go to the Rubber Bowl on Friday nights for the City series doubleheader and then back on Saturday for the Zips game. I forget what league they were in then, maybe the OVC? I know I saw them play Eastern Kentucky and Murray State. I also remeber a last second field goal win/loss against Eastern Michigan when they were the Hurons and had white helmets.Hopefully those days of crowds and memories will be present in the new stadium for the next generation of kids. It used to be cool to go to Zips games for younger kids...I do not think that is the case anymore.Oh and the griping about the $15 dollar tickets...yeah I was one of those, but I did some research and I found it is a good deal regardless of where they play at currently...so those of you you hammered on me...thank you.

Well, count me in as one that does think that the band plays in large part in the color and tradition of a college football game. This topic was discussed in detail last Spring in a thread I started named 'UA Traditions'. It was an interesting discussion and good reading for those of you that did not see it.Football is a game that has many war metaphors. This is the reason that many fans like to hear some military music and see military marching formations prior to a game. It would be exciting to hear a drum line from far off and then see a military march of 100 or so in the band approaching the field of battle (Infocision). I don't see why we could not do this, despite what instruments we have in the band. Stage at the Stiles field house next year and march (parade) to the stadium to drums and an occasional 'to arms' military bugal number. It would get everyone very excited and involved. I really like our fight song and how Akron's band plays it. You hear the quality of the sound of our band when the National Anthem is played. At halftime the band could show off its musical expertise, but before the game we need them to get us all worked up.
Yes, I agree that the band plays a large part in the college game. That's why I like college FB much more than pros. The band, classic cheerleaders, etc. I don't have too much to go on regarding the Akron band because we always go out at halftime and pound a few for the second half. But my wife, who was a band member, really does not like Akron's band. She thinks they're too harsh and don't have good routines. During the Cant game I stayed in at halftime and watched as much of the band as I could take. What I didn't like was their selection of music. Aerosmith, the Dave Matthews Band, etc. do NOT make good marching band music.But regardless, they sound great playing the fight song during the games and in my opinion are indispensable for the game day atmosphere. And to psych the fans up a bit.

Ohio State's Marching band is vastly different than ours. Consider this... Akron's band consists of many, many instruments including horns and woodwinds. OSUs marching band is strictly horns/brass. They are a military-esque band. We aren't. They use the high-step march. We don't. Not that those things make our band bad, but its just our style. Each band has their own style. I have had the opportunity to witness TBDBITL in person, albeit that they were at the browns game against Dallas. Even so... they are a truley amazing band to watch as their precision and marching is damn near flawless. The script Ohio... aside from the fact that it's college's most touted tradition, is amazing to watch from a choreography standpoint because of the exact precision it takes to march perpendicular through the line without people running into each other. They are, in my opinion, a TRUE college MARCHING band.
The Suckeye's band would be booed off the field if they performed at a proper Drum & Bugle Corps show. A lot of what they have to offer in terms of quality of a band is as much over rated as their sports teams. They don't exactly high step either. It is a modified bicycle step (very easy form of high step). The forms they run at half time and pre-game are also very easy, however due to their large size as well as being an all brass band gives the impression they they look and sound great. This works on a certain level. As a whole, they show very well. Individually is a different matter. They cannot and never will compare to say the Canton Blue Coats or the Glassmen who very existence is competition.Akron's troubles root from other, larger problems. They do not have the luxury that Ohio A&M has in that they hold auditions for every spot. Akron puts on everybody that can make practices and games. Akron also doesn't march an all brass ensemble. This means that sound production will never reach the level of OA&M and other such bands (don't get me wrong, OA&M has several members who suck, but the fact that they have so many others who can play very well means the poor performers are drowned out). Akron also marches at half time the tradition Corps style low step. This allows the band to focus on sound quality and complexity of the drills without being caught up in complex foot movement. This is very boring for an audience to watch. This if the very reason that OU's band is a huge crowd pleaser. They look entertaining. Akron's band blows them away in sound quality, but they can never match OU's level of 'chuck and jive' which really gets the audience going. But rating bands has huge problems. Outside of true competitions that the Drum and Bugle Corps play, college bands have no real level of standard to meet. Do you care about the music they play? The quality of sound? The style and accuracy of marching? The entertainment value of the show? The Zips band may not give an entertaining show like OU, or have the drowning sound that LSU or tosu does, but the quality of music and sound generally is at or exceeds other bands in the area. I know of some MAC bands that would dream to be able to do some of the things that Akron does or has. Some could care less. In the case of Ohio A&M the question arises does their band please their crowd, or is the crowd simply pleased that it is tosu's marching band? I have had this discussion with many friends and members of these different college bands. Specifically at tosu, I have heard several incidents where they band would say they had horrible performances, but the crowd went nuts regardless. At the same time they booed for the opposing team's band even before they started playing. Oh, and on the subject of tosu; the script ohio is not very challenging for a band. I was apart of a high school band and have seen several other high school bands do the same perpendicular marching through their own lines and they did it flawlessly. To say that Akron's band has always been horrible is very ignorant and buys into the OA&M mindset. The prime of the Jackoboice era is an excellent example of how good the Zips band can be. I would argue that they were better and more entertaining that any other in the MAC and quite possibly tosu. Akron has a long way to go to get to that level again.The real question is, who cares? I'm sure there is a significant number of football fans who would rather have rock legends perform at half time like the pros have, and play the pep music during the game from recordings over the speakers. How could any band live up to fans who have no knowledge of what a good marching band is? Perhaps the new stadium venue will change things for the better in all levels of akron sports.
While I agree with most of this statement...I do have to disagree with the thought that the Akron band produces a better sound then the 110. Both are about the same. More then half of Ohio's Pride are freshman. While that is not a bad thing it does cap us from putting out an perfect sound because were all trying to get to know one another and blend in one year. Most people in the 110 have been together for 2-4 years and have had that time to make that blend! Were about the same i give a slight edge to us cause there marching style affects there sound.

What I didn't like was their selection of music. Aerosmith, the Dave Matthews Band, etc. do NOT make good marching band music.
That's where most people's problem with the band comes from, I think. It's just not the type of stuff you want to hear from a college marching band at a football game. If the fans wanted to hear that, they could just pump it in over the loudspeakers.

What I didn't like was their selection of music. Aerosmith, the Dave Matthews Band, etc. do NOT make good marching band music.
That's where most people's problem with the band comes from, I think. It's just not the type of stuff you want to hear from a college marching band at a football game. If the fans wanted to hear that, they could just pump it in over the loudspeakers.
again one world trying to entertain the other

Someone is jealous and has been hanging around Tucker Jolly too long.
is there an actual argument here or are you just trying to start crap?

While I agree with most of this statement...I do have to disagree with the thought that the Akron band produces a better sound then the 110. Both are about the same. More then half of Ohio's Pride are freshman. While that is not a bad thing it does cap us from putting out an perfect sound because were all trying to get to know one another and blend in one year. Most people in the 110 have been together for 2-4 years and have had that time to make that blend! Were about the same i give a slight edge to us cause there marching style affects there sound.
I am on my boyfriends account but i would just like to add something. I was in the 110 for 3 years(I do attend akron now) and disagree with what you are saying. People in the 110 do not have an advantage for being in together, as new freshmen come in just the same as with Akron. With the 110, freshmen have only 3 days to get used to the unique marching style as well as learn the music. They then have an additional 2-3 days to learn entire pregame and a halftime show (which changes completely every single week). I give Akron credit for trying, the sound that can be produced for songs like the fight song sound great. Although when it comes to using the music on the field and not really moving too much for the show is kind of disappointing. The marching style of the 110 is extremely difficult and while it can affect the sound slightly (mainly from some freshmen still learning) it does not affect the sound enough to say that Akron is better. It is far simpler to stand or lowstep and play, but 110 actually is louder, regardless of the marching style. I know there are many bands that are far worse than Akron, i believe there are many things that need to be changed and worked on to improve the band. Again, i'm not trying to say that they are horrible, because when they know what they are doing (like the fight song) they sound great.

Well, count me in as one that does think that the band plays a large part in the color and tradition of a college football game. This topic was discussed in detail last Spring in a thread I started named 'UA Traditions'. It was an interesting discussion and good reading for those of you that did not see it.Football is a game that has many war metaphors. This is the reason that many fans like to hear some military music and see military marching formations prior to a game. It would be exciting to hear a drum line from far off and then see a military march of 100 or so in the band approaching the field of battle (Infocision). I don't see why we could not do this, despite what instruments we have in the band. Stage at the Stiles field house (or JAR) next year and march (parade) to the stadium to drums and an occasional 'to arms' military bugal number. It would get everyone very excited and involved. I really like our fight song and how Akron's band plays it. You hear the quality of the sound of our band when the National Anthem is played. At halftime the band could show off its musical expertise, but before the game we need them to get us all worked up.
EXACTLY. :thumb: Has anyone here ever been to the Skull Session before an OSU football game? The first 2 minutes of the Skull Session are absolutely thrilling. The remaining 20 minutes are completely boring. Why? Well, firstly, the band marches in to that sweet @ss drum cadence that just absolutely gets your adrenaline pumping through your veins (see war symbolism above - football is a very violent sport btw.) And secondly, they follow it up with the OSU fight song (once again, get my adrenaline pumping so much I feel like my head is gonna explode and I wanna hit something!!! IT'S FOOTBALL/WAR!!!) The remainder of the Skull Session sucks because they just play whatever. The Band needs to PUMP PEOPLE UP FOR WAR!

Then the band better know why they're there - to pump up a crowd for a violent, hard-hitting football game. Save artsy-fartsy for E.J. Thomas Hall.

Here ya go. It doesn't get any better than this, does it? Can we do better than this?! That had better be our goal!

Except for the playing of the OSU fight song, the remainder of the Skull Session goes quickly downhill from here.Note that the most important song the band plays is the FIGHT song. Not an artistic interpretation song.Go as military as all get out and get us psyched out of our minds.

Then the band better know why they're there - to pump up a crowd for a violent, hard-hitting football game. Save artsy-fartsy for E.J. Thomas Hall.
I agree that the band needs to do more pre-game to get the crowd involved. the band as is today does things to get the crowd pumped (fight song, imperial march on defensive stops, another one bites the dust, drum cadences) but I defenetly think they need to go jam out around the tailgateing area before games and lead people up to the bowl. one thing I do love about our band however is that it's not a big 11 band that plays the fight song and one other song in the stands and thats it. in the stands I would say that we never realy play "artsy-fartsy" songs. half time is another thing but half time is just that it is the one time in the game that the band can go ahead and be all about the band. not pumping people up for football but showing people what they can do as a band.

I am on my boyfriends account but i would just like to add something. I was in the 110 for 3 years(I do attend akron now) and disagree with what you are saying. People in the 110 do not have an advantage for being in together, as new freshmen come in just the same as with Akron. With the 110, freshmen have only 3 days to get used to the unique marching style as well as learn the music. They then have an additional 2-3 days to learn entire pregame and a halftime show (which changes completely every single week). I give Akron credit for trying, the sound that can be produced for songs like the fight song sound great. Although when it comes to using the music on the field and not really moving too much for the show is kind of disappointing. The marching style of the 110 is extremely difficult and while it can affect the sound slightly (mainly from some freshmen still learning) it does not affect the sound enough to say that Akron is better. It is far simpler to stand or lowstep and play, but 110 actually is louder, regardless of the marching style. I know there are many bands that are far worse than Akron, i believe there are many things that need to be changed and worked on to improve the band. Again, i'm not trying to say that they are horrible, because when they know what they are doing (like the fight song) they sound great.
1) yes we have freshmen every year but the point is people like the 110 have more returning members (something hard for us to do these past couple of years with the band director situation) and that makes life tons easier2) louder does not mean better when it comes to sound3) in band you can either have challenging music or challenging marching style Akron has the music OU has the marching style4) your directors name is Dick Suk. (no real argument in this I just thought it was funny and wanted to point it out)side note. I met prof suk once and I gotta say he's a pretty cool guythe 110 does a lot of great things and they are a fun band to watch don’t get me wrong. but it's impossible to compare them to Akron because they are two totally different things

By the way, I've been watching our band since 1977. I have never seen them suck. Not as good in some years when compared to others...but they never sucked.
I'm sorry but it is true, the band does truly suck. At least in the past 15 years that i've been around. Have you ever been to a game with Ohio U's "Marching 110"? Now that's a real college band, perhaps the best in the country. But even if you havn't im sure you all have seen Ohio States band, USC's, Tennessee's. They are all LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than ours and that is no slight, it's just the truth.
no slight, but you wouldn't know the truth in this matter if hit slaped you in the head

By the way, I've been watching our band since 1977. I have never seen them suck. Not as good in some years when compared to others...but they never sucked.
I'm sorry but it is true, the band does truly suck. At least in the past 15 years that i've been around. Have you ever been to a game with Ohio U's "Marching 110"? Now that's a real college band, perhaps the best in the country. But even if you havn't im sure you all have seen Ohio States band, USC's, Tennessee's. They are all LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than ours and that is no slight, it's just the truth.
no slight, but you wouldn't know the truth in this matter if hit slaped you in the head
not my gf here, it's actually me...but actually the truth hits me and everyone in attendance right in the head every game when our band sloppily marches onto the field and into the stands. I'm sorry but i just dont see them being very good at all, and i'm the average fan who knows very little about the band. And i'm the one who matters more than the geeky kid who knows the difference between a high step and a military march or whatever. I'm not trying to offend you, i just am stating the truth.

I agree that the band needs to do more pre-game to get the crowd involved. the band as is today does things to get the crowd pumped (fight song, imperial march on defensive stops, another one bites the dust, drum cadences) but I defenetly think they need to go jam out around the tailgateing area before games and lead people up to the bowl. one thing I do love about our band however is that it's not a big 11 band that plays the fight song and one other song in the stands and thats it. in the stands I would say that we never realy play "artsy-fartsy" songs. half time is another thing but half time is just that it is the one time in the game that the band can go ahead and be all about the band. not pumping people up for football but showing people what they can do as a band.
I just happened to think of this... with the new stadium being on campus... I wonder if the Band will do something along the lines of what OSU does before games in that they will do a march to their cadence from a meeting location (perhaps the JAR in our case) to the stadium. Think about it... band marching down Carrol from the JAR to Spicer and then down to the new vehicle access ramp for the new stadium. It would put them going past much of the primary parking for the stadium and would definitely get people pumped up for the game. Hopefully someone else in the band department has thought of this and will do this. It could make for a very very energizing pre-game experience.

I think OU's got it down when it comes to halftime performances. When will the UA band get a clue that they are there to ENTERTAIN and to get people pumped for a football game? UA and OU may be two very different bands, but if you ask Joe football who he prefers, more often than not it is going to be OU's style, and so do I.

I think OU's got it down when it comes to halftime performances. When will the UA band get a clue that they are there to ENTERTAIN and to get people pumped for a football game? UA and OU may be two very different bands, but if you ask Joe football who he prefers, more often than not it is going to be OU's style, and so do I.
then we will let you be the one to go ahead and revamp the entire band and ditch every tradition we have. and truth be told Joe football fan (who also so happens to be a plummer) doesn't care for half time anyways

This argument is pointless because everyone is going to have their own opinion and there is no standard of measure. I can point out as many flaws with other bands that Akron does better and visa-versaWhen the new stadium comes, the band will march from Guzzetta to the stadium area, perhaps the JAR. The finer details are still being ironed out, but it is safe to say that they are planning a good march through campus at the very least.

This argument is pointless because everyone is going to have their own opinion and there is no standard of measure. I can point out as many flaws with other bands that Akron does better and visa-versaWhen the new stadium comes, the band will march from Guzzetta to the stadium area, perhaps the JAR. The finer details are still being ironed out, but it is safe to say that they are planning a good march through campus at the very least.
thats good to hear. Hopefully that'll become a real good pre-game tradition.

Zipseuph 1) yes we have freshmen every year but the point is people like the 110 have more returning members (something hard for us to do these past couple of years with the band director situation) and that makes life tons easier2) louder does not mean better when it comes to sound3) in band you can either have challenging music or challenging marching style Akron has the music OU has the marching style4) your directors name is Dick Suk. (no real argument in this I just thought it was funny and wanted to point it out)side note. I met prof suk once and I gotta say he's a pretty cool guythe 110 does a lot of great things and they are a fun band to watch don’t get me wrong. but it's impossible to compare them to Akron because they are two totally different thingsWhat happened with the Band Director situation referenced in #1 above (I believe a well liked and talented Director recently died) and do things for the Band look they are in good hands going forward? Who does the Band Director report to at the University?My guess is the Prof Suk at OSU likes to be called Richard instead of Dick. I got a chuckle out of this one.

What happened with the Band Director situation referenced in #1 above (I believe a well liked and talented Director recently died) and do things for the Band look they are in good hands going forward? Who does the Band Director report to at the University?
Former beloved director Richard "Chief" Jackoboice passed away in 2006. He had lead the band for 23 years and was replaced in 1984 by Michael Golemo, who left about 15 yrs ago to go to Iowa State. He was followed by Barry Martin for two years (now at Grand Valley State), then the current director Galen Karriker (away working on his doctorate in conducting at Mich St). I think teh director situation that Zipseuph is referring to is the interim directors (two in two years) while Karriker has been gone. Karriker reports to Dr. Bob Jorgensen, Director of Bands.