Just some thoughts

Class of 82

What happened with the Band Director situation referenced in #1 above (I believe a well liked and talented Director recently died) and do things for the Band look they are in good hands going forward? Who does the Band Director report to at the University?My guess is the Prof Suk at OSU likes to be called Richard instead of Dick. I got a chuckle out of this one.
UA's current director, Galen Karriker (director since 1999), has been away for a couple of years now getting his doctorate, during which time they've now had 2 interim band directors. Galen should be back next year, assuming everything goes well with his doctorate work. The director who recently died was Richard Jackoboice (Chief) who was director through the 70's and into the early 80's.The music style and marching routines should improve significantly with the return of Mr. Karriker, hopefully gaffes like the lack of drums at pregame march-in at homecoming will be avoided in the future. Akron has a great band tradition, and an excellent school of music. Any frustration with the band now and their lack of variety should be rectified with their return to normalcy.FYI, the band uses the high-step marching style for pregame (not that many people are ever in the Rubber Bowl to see it) and only uses the traditional corps-step at halftime.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think OU's got it down when it comes to halftime performances. When will the UA band get a clue that they are there to ENTERTAIN and to get people pumped for a football game? UA and OU may be two very different bands, but if you ask Joe football who he prefers, more often than not it is going to be OU's style, and so do I.
i entirely agree. Maybe we need a stricter band where the weak can be cut. We may have a smaller band for a while but sooner or later people will notice a higher quality product and want to come be a part of it. And maybe, just maybe it can be something on the same level as the Tennessee Pride of the Southland Band, the Marching 110, the USC Trojan band, or the 2nd Best Band in the Land (suckeyes).

My guess is the Prof Suk at OSU likes to be called Richard instead of Dick. I got a chuckle out of this one.
actually it's the Ohio University marching 110 that has the director with this name. the really funny thing is he intrduced himself to me as "Dick" so he does infact go by Dick Suk. I guess if I had that name I would just go ahead and laugh along as well

Wow, didn't this get started as a football thread? Who would have known that the band discussions would inspire this kind of passion? We need to figure out how to make the transference to the football team happen.
The thread started as a discussion on the Acme/Zip game day experience of which the band was a large part, and is a large part of today's game day.

Anyone remember the "golden bag" trophy from Giant Eagle when they took over the opening game? I think Acme was having some trouble competing with Giant Eagle and decided they couldn't afford to outbid to continue the tradition. I would suspect that is still the case and is the reason they haven't brought it back.

My guess is the Prof Suk at OSU likes to be called Richard instead of Dick. I got a chuckle out of this one.
to call OHIO University "OSU" is offensive to anyone from this state as well as anyone who is a member of the MAC. I have a lot more respect for the bobcats than the Suckeyes.
Innocent mistake really. This thread was talking about OSU, and OU, and the 110, who's to know all of the band nicknames in the country except band people... Anyhow for you to get so angry is really nerd like and perpetuates a negative stereotype. Lighten up and don't be so insecure, I'm not a bandy, but I support what the bands contribute to gameday. Dick Suk... what were his parents thinking.

actually it's the Ohio University marching 110 that has the director with this name. the really funny thing is he intrduced himself to me as "Dick" so he does infact go by Dick Suk. I guess if I had that name I would just go ahead and laugh along as well
My guess is that he is of Korean ancestry, and it is pronounced "Sook". Now excuse me, but I have to go to dinner. I have reservations at Fuk Yuen's Seafood Restaurant. Zip in ParadiseHonolulu, HI

My guess is that he is of Korean ancestry, and it is pronounced "Sook". Now excuse me, but I have to go to dinner. I have reservations at Fuk Yuen's Seafood Restaurant. Zip in ParadiseHonolulu, HI
Now THAT is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to call OHIO University "OSU" is offensive to anyone from this state as well as anyone who is a member of the MAC. I have a lot more respect for the bobcats than the Suckeyes.
Innocent mistake really. This thread was talking about OSU, and OU, and the 110, who's to know all of the band nicknames in the country except band people... Anyhow for you to get so angry is really nerd like and perpetuates a negative stereotype. Lighten up and don't be so insecure, I'm not a bandy, but I support what the bands contribute to gameday. Dick Suk... what were his parents thinking.
if you think that is someone getting angry, then you haven't been on these boards for very long...His name is Richard Suk by the way and it's pronounced "Sook". But either way, i know nothing about bands, i just know college football and most people who know college football know a thing about the bands.