Saturday MAC Games

Bleacher Bum

I watched the end of the CMU vs Toledo game. While the parity is pretty even with Ball being a cut above, the better teams seem find to ways to win the close ones week in and week out. Watching the last 5 minutes of CMU vs Toledo, you just kind of have the feeling that CMU would make the 3rd down play, not make a stupid mistate, etc and pull it out. Same with BG and NIU. So far we are 2-2 in those types of games this year. I imagine the next 4 will be similar type games. I just hope that we are one of the good teams that "get lucky" each week but always manage to pull it out.

Yes, a Buffalo loss on Tuesday would cap off an outstanding situation for us with all that has transpired this week. But I'm really not concerned about Buffalo considering that they still have to play us in Akron, on a historic night for our city and our University. We simply won't lose that game.
I don't know about you guys, but watching part of that Toledo/CMU game, a week from Wednesday scares me a little bit now. They looked pretty good out there. Granted, LeFevour was clearly not 100% (let's hope he gets there before the BSU/CMU matchup), their defense performed well. The offense seemed to struggle with the same unimaginative redzone playcalling as the Zips, having stalled out inside the ten several times to settle for fieldgoals. For some reason I don't have the faith in the 3-3-5 to stop a team in short yardage with 1st and goal...

My blog is down right now, but I wanted to write about this....I think we will look back in December and say Oct. 25's games were just as important as any of the ones that Akron was involved with. If the Zips didn't blow the BG game, they would REALLY be sitting pretty. Then again, they could have lost to EMU and Can't...

Yes, a Buffalo loss on Tuesday would cap off an outstanding situation for us with all that has transpired this week. But I'm really not concerned about Buffalo considering that they still have to play us in Akron, on a historic night for our city and our University. We simply won't lose that game.
I don't think we will lose that game either. Even without the support of a packed house, i think the ghosts of the rubber bowl will band together and push JD and the team through the goalline a few times extra that night.

I don't know about you guys, but watching part of that Toledo/CMU game, a week from Wednesday scares me a little bit now. They looked pretty good out there. Granted, LeFevour was clearly not 100% (let's hope he gets there before the BSU/CMU matchup), their defense performed well. The offense seemed to struggle with the same unimaginative redzone playcalling as the Zips, having stalled out inside the ten several times to settle for fieldgoals. For some reason I don't have the faith in the 3-3-5 to stop a team in short yardage with 1st and goal...
I think the key will be jumping on UT early. They obviously have enough talent to play with a lot of teams (Fresno, Michigan) but they have laid some major eggs as well (Ball St., NIU, FIU). I look at it this way. If the Zips can't win this one, then we have no business talking about a MAC East Championship.