OBC Updates

Since the thread that was being used to discuss upcoming changes at Ohio Brewing Company was lost in the "Great ZN Server Hack of '08", I thought I would provide some update on their plans as I've heard them over the past few weeks. These can probably be best summarized in bullet form.1) The ill-fated and awkward partnership with Damien's is over (thankfully). The OBC menu remains and will undergo an expansion very soon.2) A potential summer move (June time frame) is being explored. One of the driving factors is the desire to possibly bottle some of these fine brews. Apparently the current location, while beyond spacious for dining, is somewhat lacking for beer production.3) If there is a new location, it will likely be near Go-Jo's, farther south on Main.4) I specifically inquired about a potential shuttle to and from the Info for Zip FB in the fall. I was told a bio-diesel shuttle is planned!I know there are a few dissenters out there, but if you enjoy craft beer and haven't tried OBC yet you simply must give it a shot. I have brought a dozen or so people there myself, and each has come away very impressed. It's great to have a quality beer producer right in our midst, IMHO, especially one that also supports the Zips (I think we've managed to get the whole "bartenders wearing OSU gear during Zip events" thing straightened out lol).

I wish this establishment the best of luck. Why? Because they finally gave us an AKRON bar that catered to AKRON sports. I also was quite puzzled at one of the times I went there to find the Akron game on TV, a DJ running his program based on what was happening in the Akron game...yet many of the servers were wearing Ohio State gear?? Sounds like maybe a memo didn't get to the right people. But, I hope they have that worked out. It was nice to have a gathering place for Akron fans to watch the Akron game.

1) The ill-fated and awkward partnership with Damien's is over (thankfully). The OBC menu remains and will undergo an expansion very soon.
I found this to be well-said. "Ill-fated and awkward," was the OBC - Damon's arrangement. When I'd take newbies there I didn't even know how to tell them where we were going. Were we going to the OBC? Were we going to Damon's?I'm hoping the OBC hiatus is a brief one. Since they support the Zips, here's to Zips fans supporting them! :cheers:

1) The ill-fated and awkward partnership with Damien's is over (thankfully). The OBC menu remains and will undergo an expansion very soon.
I found this to be well-said. "Ill-fated and awkward," was the OBC - Damon's arrangement. When I'd take newbies there I didn't even know how to tell them where we were going. Were we going to the OBC? Were we going to Damon's?I'm hoping the OBC hiatus is a brief one. Since they support the Zips, here's to Zips fans supporting them! :cheers:
Perhaps I said something that was misleading, but I must emphasize this point. OBC is NOT going out of business nor are they taking a hiatus as had been previously suggested on an earler (and now missing) thread. They will be operating from the current location for the time being until (if and when) they decide to make a move. In fact, I was told that in spite of the current economic downturn, business has been picking up towards the end of 2008. Now I'm not naive enough to think that these conditions could change rapidly, but as for now this is NO intention to change location/hours/etc. They're actually having a New Years' Eve party tonight that I would be attending if not for an early morning drive out of town.

I've also become a HUGE fan of OBC. The entire back half of the restaurant, which I think of as Damon's domain, can go away for all I care. The magic of the place is at the bar and in the tables and booths by the bar. The beer is always fresh and delicious, they serve a TRUE cask conditioned and hand-drawn ale at least once every month, they support the local brewing club, they support Akron sports, they happily fill growlers with fresh brew on tap. Damn I love that place. I've been hitting it at least once a week for a while now and don't miss Damon's even a little, and am very pleased that the Verich's will continue to grow one of our fine local brewing establishments.GO BEER!GO OBC!GO CITY OF AKRON!GO UA!GO ZIPS!SeeTeeZip

I've also become a HUGE fan of OBC. The entire back half of the restaurant, which I think of as Damon's domain, can go away for all I care. The magic of the place is at hte bar and in the tables and booths by the bar. The beer is always fresh and delicious, they serve a TRUE cask conditioned and hand-drawn ale at least once every month, they support the local brewing club, they support Akron sports, they happily fill growlers with fresh brew on tap. Damn I love that place. I've been hitting it at least once a week for a while now and don't miss Damon's even a little, and am very pleased that the Verich's will continue to grow one of our fine local brewing establishments.GO BEER!GO OBC!GO CITY OF AKRON!GO UA!GO ZIPS!SeeTeeZip
I'm gonna go ahead and say ityou are not a true zips fan unless you are an OBC mug holder :lol:

I've also become a HUGE fan of OBC. The entire back half of the restaurant, which I think of as Damon's domain, can go away for all I care. The magic of the place is at hte bar and in the tables and booths by the bar. The beer is always fresh and delicious, they serve a TRUE cask conditioned and hand-drawn ale at least once every month, they support the local brewing club, they support Akron sports, they happily fill growlers with fresh brew on tap. Damn I love that place. I've been hitting it at least once a week for a while now and don't miss Damon's even a little, and am very pleased that the Verich's will continue to grow one of our fine local brewing establishments.GO BEER!GO OBC!GO CITY OF AKRON!GO UA!GO ZIPS!SeeTeeZip
I'm gonna go ahead and say ityou are not a true zips fan unless you are an OBC mug holder :lol:
Agreed! Drink beer, drink beer, drink beer G-D drink beer......GO ZIPS IN 2009! BEAT INDIANA AT INFOSUMMA!STZ

Went to the OBC myself last night for a little over an hour and took about 10 friends with me most of which had never been there. It was a little slow there but the beer was good as always and it impressed the people i took enough to want to stay there for over an hour even with barely anyone there.

Agreed! Drink beer, drink beer, drink beer G-D drink beer......GO ZIPS IN 2009! BEAT INDIANA AT INFOSUMMA!STZ
......I won't drink beer with any fanwho won't drink beer with an Akron fan!Akron once!Akron twice!!Holy jumpin' J-CG-D, SOBGO ZIPS!!!