Battle for the Basement

Bleacher Bum

So....you're saying it will be a similar second half as the game at the JAR last year? I've probably never personally witnessed a comeback in the last 2 minutes like we all witnessed that day. I would only change the ending. Yes, the 1-3 records surprise me a little bit, but both programs did indeed lose some key pieces. I'd like to say that we match up well with these guys, but any rebounding advantage that we should have had this year because of their loss of Scott and Quaintance is tempered by the fact that we are a poor rebounding team without Wood. We know these guys play rough (I call it Thuggery) and we have to match them. But, without guys like Wood and Dials, and Bardo getting significant minutes in the paint, do we have the muscle that we need for this game? Can't 60 Akron 54The only thing that will save us is a good 3-point percentage, and some inspired defense.

Buffalo outrebounded Can't 39-29 in their 64-53 win last night in Buffalo, and they outrebounded the Zips 32-23 in their 63-61 win in Akron. So it appears that the Zips and Can't may be pretty close in their rebounding deficiencies.I think this game is a close match that comes down to intangibles. Can't has an advantage with Fisher being a proven go-to guy in crunch time. Will anyone step up for the Zips? Is this the game where the Zips move their game up a notch and play closer to their full capabilities?Whoever loses is going to be in a deep hole in terms of avoiding a 4th game in the MAC tournament.

It's hard to imagine Tyree Evans having 3 straight games of horrid shooting, so I think the Zips will need to score a bit more than usual to win this one. I DO think we can create turnovers against Can't however. Maybe a few fast break buckets off of TOs will be just what the Dr. ordered?Zips 68flushes 65Ps. Someone (The Nitro Net Nuker?) gets hot from three point land.

Buffalo outrebounded Can't 39-29 in their 64-53 win last night in Buffalo, and they outrebounded the Zips 32-23 in their 63-61 win in Akron. So it appears that the Zips and Can't may be pretty close in their rebounding deficiencies.I think this game is a close match that comes down to intangibles. Can't has an advantage with Fisher being a proven go-to guy in crunch time. Will anyone step up for the Zips? Is this the game where the Zips move their game up a notch and play closer to their full capabilities?Whoever loses is going to be in a deep hole in terms of avoiding a 4th game in the MAC tournament.
Evenly matched... key may be if the Zips are aggressive going to the hoop and shoot FT's....Head-to-Head StatsZips avg 37.2 rebounds per gameCan't avg 38.9 rebounds per gameFG %Zips 41%flushes 44%3 ptrsZips 32%Can't State 31%Assists 12 for each Blocks 2.5 for eachSteals 7 vs 8 Turnovers 12 for eachFree ThrowsZips 71.3%flushes 61.8%

One good thing for the Zips. Apparently Chris Singletary is suffering from a shoulder injury. He was held out of their game against Buffalo, and could miss this game as well. Can't's team this year is Singletary, Fisher, Evans and not much else. You take Singletary out of that equation and they get even thinner. I watched them last weekend against Miami and they didn't look very good. The key is going to be getting Chris McKnight going inside. Their interior game is virtually non-existant with the loss of Quantance. If Chris can continue his recent run of good games we have a real good shot at taking this thing. Then it is a brief stopover at YSU and a trip to the real basement of the MAC, the Western Division. Hopefully this can start our run to the end of the season. This team is right there, but like most young teams, they haven't yet figured out how to close out games.