resource on UA projects and growth

zen

This is a thread, but it covers UA projects and many of these posts do a nice job covering various projectshttp://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=8063.newI thought it could be useful here
I've seen this thread before. On the same site, if you go to the city photos forum, anyone can post pictures of Ohio's city's(or college campuses). Akron is very underrepresented and there has only been one UA photo thread that I've seen before( I believe it was posted by our own zipsrifle!).If anyone want to represent UA they should post some pics on there. Especially of the new stadium construction.

This is a thread, but it covers UA projects and many of these posts do a nice job covering various projectshttp://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=8063.newI thought it could be useful here
I've seen this thread before. On the same site, if you go to the city photos forum, anyone can post pictures of Ohio's city's(or college campuses). Akron is very underrepresented and there has only been one UA photo thread that I've seen before( I believe it was posted by our own zipsrifle!).If anyone want to represent UA they should post some pics on there. Especially of the new stadium construction.
Typically this is the 2nd site I visit when I surf the net......anyone want to guess what the first is? Akron is very under represented and I would contribute more, but, I live near Elyria and don't get many chances to go to Akron. Cleveland, Cinci, Cowlumbus, and Dayton are overly represented. There is a LOT of talk about what might happen in the other cities (medical mart, new downtown skyscrapers) whereas there is no talk about what IS happening in Akron (New Stadium, New Goodyear HQ, new BSFS Tech Center, 22 Exchange, etc). I have a fascination with "property development" in general and this is a pretty good place to get the goods on what is going on. Some pretty good city pictures here too.

• 4 weeks later...
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question. does anyone know why Akron doesn't try to move up from a tier 3 school?
Tiers are made up by those ranking magazines. We can't move up unless the state allows us to change our enrollment policy. Toledo has the same problem.We could have all the top programs in the country in every field of study, and we would still be tier 3 because of the open enrollment.

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question. does anyone know why Akron doesn't try to move up from a tier 3 school?
Tiers are made up by those ranking magazines. We can't move up unless the state allows us to change our enrollment policy. Toledo has the same problem.We could have all the top programs in the country in every field of study, and we would still be tier 3 because of the open enrollment.
And I still will never understand how being open enrollment "helps" our university. Perhaps in 1913, when we were a failing college, but in this day and age it's completely useless. Both Toledo and Akron have stronger programs in engineering and science than most schools in the country, but, like uakronkid said, the open enrollment overshadows everything.I think getting rid of the open enrollment policies and making this school a little more selective would produce many more proud alumni, and consequently, more money to the school. But who am I?

And I still will never understand how being open enrollment "helps" our university. Perhaps in 1913, when we were a failing college, but in this day and age it's completely useless. Both Toledo and Akron have stronger programs in engineering and science than most schools in the country, but, like uakronkid said, the open enrollment overshadows everything.I think getting rid of the open enrollment policies and making this school a little more selective would produce many more proud alumni, and consequently, more money to the school. But who am I?
thanks for the input guys :wave:

If you're talking about the US News & World Report rankings, the last I knew there were 4 tiers and UA was in Tier 4. The rankings have a lot to do with selectivity (which we don't have) and reputation among other schools' "voters". My understanding is we're OE for financial reasons: more students = more revenue and more economies of scale. There is a target student body size limit (26-28K?) at which point they would start rejecting some applicants. That's the goal and the big reason for all the campus improvements, to get more and better applications. I don't think the state has grounds to dictate certain U's to be OE and others not. Also, some UA undergrad colleges/majors are not OE (e.g. nursing) so it's primarily the General College we're talking about, not the whole university.

My understanding is we're OE for financial reasons: more students = more revenue and more economies of scale. There is a target student body size limit (26-28K?) at which point they would start rejecting some applicants. That's the goal and the big reason for all the campus improvements, to get more and better applications. I don't think the state has grounds to dictate certain U's to be OE and others not.
I hope you're right. Akron's total enrollment is approaching 26,000 rapidly. Besides, if it's just based on arbitrary numbers, and not dictated by the state, why the hell doesn't Akron just get rid of OE now? We can still accept the enough students(apparently enough kids apply, UA overbooked housing this year). So then why not accept the BEST students? I don't expect anyone to know the answers to these questions(but if you do, great!), I'm just ranting.

Personally, I think those rankings are worthless. I was my senior year at UA, I picked up a publication at the library which ranked the top Engineering schools in the Country. I think it was the top 100 schools, but it may have been the top 50….I can’t remember. Regardless, the point is that year, in three of the four SAE Engineering competitions UA entered, we took 1st place. I think one of the main reasons for this success was that there were a large number of “Non-traditional” students in my classes at the time. Lots of guys who were mechanics, came out of the military, or worked in factories prior to going back to school. We all learned a lot of practical things from these guys and I think that was one of the reasons we were so successful over more prestigious schools. Put me down as someone who doesn’t want UA to be more selective, I think it works to UA’s advantage.

Personally, I think those rankings are worthless. I was my senior year at UA, I picked up a publication at the library which ranked the top Engineering schools in the Country. I think it was the top 100 schools, but it may have been the top 50….I can’t remember. Regardless, the point is that year, in three of the four SAE Engineering competitions UA entered, we took 1st place. I think one of the main reasons for this success was that there were a large number of “Non-traditional” students in my classes at the time. Lots of guys who were mechanics, came out of the military, or worked in factories prior to going back to school. We all learned a lot of practical things from these guys and I think that was one of the reasons we were so successful over more prestigious schools. Put me down as someone who doesn’t want UA to be more selective, I think it works to UA’s advantage.
Other than UA, I have also attended two "Top 50" engineering schools including a Top 10. I will just say that one school was worthy and the other was by far not. UA compares very favorably with both.The rankings are based primarily on research production via expenditures and grad student enrollment and selectivity. The undergraduate rankings are minor modifications of those from the grad and based solely on reputation (which is guided by the grad rankings).I personally like having a chip on my shoulder and outperforming students from bigger schools when they think my education was inferior because it has an unfamiliar brand on it. If they only knew my unique perspective, they'd likely be questioning why they sacrificed so much ($$$, etc.) for their name brand school. That brand will only get your foot in the door somewhere...the rest is up to the individual in proving himself/herself. That latter is where UA alumni have an unexpected advantage.

That's a good point but anymore everything is based on prestige. In the long run, it hurt's graduates when they have to go through the same coursework/projects that any other kid at another more prestige school does, and then they are still looked at as inferior to the student from the other school.Sure, Akron grads are known in the region, but how about in Cali? Or even other parts of the Midwest? Although these ranking systems are bogus, we have to cater to them somewhat. If we don't, UA will never be respected as much as it should be by people who matter(employers, grad schools, etc.).Answer this:Since the college ranking systems started, how many schools managed to make among the top ten in research revenue in the country and still failed to make the top one hundred schools? I thinks it's time UA becomes more selective.

Bigger is not better. Seems like someone with a creative mind could redesign the JAR to a classy facility. Duke has enjoyed a tremendous home court advantage with less than 8,000.

Duke University Renovations It was in February, 1986, that NBC Sports commentator Dick Enberg told the world about the latest planned renovations for Cameron. "They're going to make a real sports antique out of it ... complete with brass railings and stained glass windows." For Duke athletic officials watching the Sunday afternoon broadcast of the Duke-Georgia Tech game, this was certainly news. Planned renovations did not, as some rumors indicated, include stained glass windows, but there was a major facelift being planned which included new side walls, a new electronic scoreboard and even brass railings. Renovations began in 1987. The lobbies and concourse were remodeled during the summer of 1987. Then, in 1988, work began on the interior of the arena. A new electronic scoreboard, new sound system and decorative wood paneling gave Cameron an updated look, while maintaining the original elegance. The addition of 750 new student seats, increasing Cameron's capacity to 9,314, gave the Cameron Crazies, the Duke students who have made a name for themselves as Duke's exceptional "sixth man," a little more room to practice the art of supporting their team creatively. In the early 1990s, Mike Krzyzewski and Butters decided the time was right to give Cameron an addition with new locker rooms, coaches offices, an academic center and a new Sports Hall of Fame. Several years later, ground was broken for the new Schwartz-Butters Athletic Center after the end of the 1997-98 season. That complex now houses the men's and women's basketball programs, as well as Duke's athletic academic center. The first part of that expansion and improvement project was the installation of a new floor in Cameron Indoor Stadium after the 1996-97 season. The latest advancements in floor technology were utilized to give the Blue Devils one of the finest playing surfaces in the entire country. Prior to the 1999-2000 season, a new press row was added. Air conditioning was added in 2001-02 and for its 100th season in 2004-05, the concourse was enhanced to celebrate Duke's tradition in men's and women's basketball with the addition of poster displays and all the banners were replaced in the rafters. TodayOriginally the largest indoor arena in the South, Cameron is today one of the smallest in the nation. Nevertheless, its stature grows from year-to-year. Sellout crowds, top 25 rankings and championships of every variety have become the norm. The "creative harassment" of student spectators has given Duke the honor of being known as "one of the toughest road games in the USA," according to USA Today and any visiting team that has ever played in Cameron. In its June 7, 1999, issue, Sports Illustrated rated Cameron Indoor Stadium fourth on a list of the top 20 sporting venues in the world in the 20th Century, ranking ahead of such notables as Wrigley Field, Fenway Park and Pebble Beach Golf Club. The Blue Devils have had an amazing amount of success in Cameron, winning over 80 percent of their games all-time. In 1999-2000, Duke established both the Atlantic Coast Conference and school record by extending its home winning streak to 46 games. Duke's all-time record in Cameron is 675-141 for an .827 win percentage. The 675 wins is the most in the ACC and the fifth-highest total in the country on a current home court. Under Coach K, the win percentage increases to .850 with a 318-48 record. Headed into 2005-06, Duke has won 277 of its last 300 (.923) under Coach K at Cameron. Despite the changes that have taken place, Cameron Indoor Stadium has remained very much the same over the last 60 years. New seating, high tech electronics and a fresh coat of paint have not altered, but rather enhanced, Cameron's most enduring characteristic ... its spirit. It is still a building of superlatives. Excerpted from "Home Court - Fifty Years of Cameron Indoor Stadium" by Hazel Landwehr.

That's a good point but anymore everything is based on prestige. In the long run, it hurt's graduates when they have to go through the same coursework/projects that any other kid at another more prestige school does, and then they are still looked at as inferior to the student from the other school.Sure, Akron grads are known in the region, but how about in Cali? Or even other parts of the Midwest? Although these ranking systems are bogus, we have to cater to them somewhat. If we don't, UA will never be respected as much as it should be by people who matter(employers, grad schools, etc.).Answer this:Since the college ranking systems started, how many schools managed to make among the top ten in research revenue in the country and still failed to make the top one hundred schools? I thinks it's time UA becomes more selective.
I would argue that in the Midwest, Akron is actually looked upon very highly by industry. For example, in the recent Dept. of Energy Challenge X competition, UA was among a very selective group of schools chosen to compete. IMO, they stuck out like a sore thumb because they didn't have that big name recognition. It was a 3 year competition to build a hybrid vehicle that was judged on various aspects. The first season UA did very well! I understand that UA students took a much different, and riskier approach than their more prestegious counterparts. I was not involved in the project, but I think someone on here was.... As a result of this, UA actually had the highest percentage of students hired into GM of any of the schools in the competition. I also heard that for the next DOE competition, UA was also approached to compete, but turned down the offer. I also have to say that the number of UA grads working in Detroit has dramatically increased over recent years and the graduates are looked very highly upon. I'm sure UA isn't a well known name in the West but in the Midwest we are definately gaining traction.

I read this article and it reminded me of this topic. Sad, I know. Anyway, here's the link:http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/hot-whe...=1&mbid=yhpI read in the last(and first ever) engineering newsletter that all that construction on the Auburn Science and Engineering Building was partially being designated as labs and work areas for our engineering design teams. With that said, why not put it to good use and compete with MIT on something like the solar car in the link above! God knows we beat them in every other competition. They have to go out of their way to avoid us :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...
Answer this:Since the college ranking systems started, how many schools managed to make among the top ten in research revenue in the country and still failed to make the top one hundred schools? I thinks it's time UA becomes more selective.
Selectivity into the school is over rated. A university's main purpose is to educate the population (the entire population). So if a 2.1 student with an 18 on their ACT want to go to class at Akron, fine. The fact is, if they don't work, they won't make it into a college (Busines, Arts and Science, Nursing, Engineering).The other "hidden secret" about open enrollment. It only applies to the schools main campus. Anyone can go to a Can't regional campus, anyone can go to an OSU regional campus it's because they don't have room on the main campus they get to be selective. Notoriety doesn't come from selectivity it comes from wealth of the school and the capability of its graduates.