The Mack Rhoades rumor wheel

ZachTheZip

Houston search narrowed down to two.We'll know for sure very soon. Interviews are finished. It's up to the selection committee to decide now.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6470003.html
Rhoades also made a favorable impression with several interviewers, the committee member said. Martin played basketball at USC from 1993-1996, scoring 1,070 points, and has a doctorate. Another factor tipping the balance toward Martin, the committee member said, is his familiarity with working at a major school in a large metropolitan city.“I heard from a lot of people, 'Akron?'” the committee member said. “`We don’t want to be like Akron. We want to be like USC.’”
Newsflush: nobody wants to be like Houston, either.

Newsflush: nobody wants to be like Houston, either.
Best quote from the comments
The Akron shot is bad, but if you take a look at it maybe he would re-think his thought. Akron has a newer stadium than USC, and Akron is not under major investigation for violations in the two largest sports (reggie bush / o j mayo anyone). So I would rather be like Akron than USC. I do like Steve Patterson, he has roots here and I think would be a long term fit rather than a stepping stone for Martin. 6/11/2009 7:02:33 AM

UPDATE: Mack Rhoades will be the next athletic director at the University of Houston, multiple people familiar with the situation said Thursday morning.Rhoades, the AD at Akron since 2006, emerged as the choice ahead of USC senior associate Brandon Martin. Rhoades, 43, was a finalist for the Rutgers AD job in February in a process handled by Parker Executive Search — the same firm that UH hired to recruit candidates.UH president Renu Khator has scheduled an 11:30 a.m. press conference to unveil Rhoades as the successor to Dave Maggard, who resigned April 22.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6470003.htmlLooks like they'd rather be like Akron.