The Mack Rhoades rumor wheel

ZachTheZip

I'm starting this since wherever there is an AD opening, it is inevitable that Mr. Rhoades' name will pop up as a candidate.Ever since his name came up for the Rutgers job, we knew it would only be a matter of time until he moves on.So far his name has come up for the job at Houston, and now at Marshall.I believe that Houston would be a little bit of a step up, while Marshall would set his career back 10 years.

Mac may move, but moving to Marshall doesn't make any sense. Akron will be in some sort of confernce realignment in the future. That will get Mac to C-USA level or higher. His income will grow accordingly. He has, almost across the board, better programs already at Akron than he could build at Marshall. It would be a lateral move and the headaches would be far greater than he has ever encountered.Mac's smart. He won't take this one. It's no Rutgers.

If you have ever made the trip to Huntington and spent time on Marshall's campus, I don't think there is any way Mack would leave Akron for Marshall. I thought Houston might be a possibility based on Mack coming from Texas, but I would be absolutely shocked if he was seriously interested in Marshall.

Mac may move, but moving to Marshall doesn't make any sense. Akron will be in some sort of confernce realignment in the future. That will get Mac to C-USA level or higher. His income will grow accordingly. He has, almost across the board, better programs already at Akron than he could build at Marshall. It would be a lateral move and the headaches would be far greater than he has ever encountered.Mac's smart. He won't take this one. It's no Rutgers.
Based on salary, I can guarantee you that a move to Marshall would not be a lateral move, unless by lateral you mean a salary reduction.

I am shocked at what Marshall's AD got. That is what a Div 2 school would pay. I know that Houston is a step up but I was surprised how close they are to Akron in terms of attendance and budget. They averaged 3,814 for basketball last year. I know that we had a drop off this past year but the last several years we were in the low to mid 3,000 range. They averaged 21K for football, something that I hope we get this year. Their budget is 25M ours is 18M. If Mack does go, I hope that it is in the next 2 years. Proenza is 64 and I hope he stays on about 5 more years. I would rather have him pick the next AD as I worry who we get for the next president.

Leakin' :john: is reporting that Mack's a finalist at UH.Linky
Please get the freaking job and move on. This is a big distraction from what should be a very exciting time for those who care about UA athletics. If our AD wants to leave at this time, just go. Give me Hunter. Give me someone who wants to be here. I don't care.Why does UA have to be his steady paycheck while he shops his self around?

Please get the freaking job and move on. This is a big distraction from what should be a very exciting time for those who care about UA athletics. If our AD wants to leave at this time, just go. Give me Hunter. Give me someone who wants to be here. I don't care.Why does UA have to be his steady paycheck while he shops his self around?
I agree 100% Cap'n. This act is getting OLD quickly.

Why don't we cut this guy loose in advance of him finding a new job? What a distraction to all of the other great things that are going on! Let's get someone in here who actually wants the position as a career job and not a stepping stone!UH is not any better than UA. Enjoy Conference USA and not having a program that competes for a National Championship.

Couldn't really disagree more.Go Zips!

Care to elaborate?I don't buy into the Company Line of -- "We should be lucky we have an AD that is such an attractive candidate..." -- How else is the University supposed to spin it?Or "Gee whiz how can you begrudge a guy that is trying to improve his lot in life..." -- I don't begrudge him, and that is not the point.I know Mack as well as anyone on this board. I wish him nothing but the best. He has always been very gracious to me. Summary -- He apparently doesn't want to be here. I hope he gets the Houston job. I look forward focusing on the 2009 - 10 Zips athletics' season and building a good relationship with whomever succeeds him.

Care to elaborate?
I can't speak for watcher.But, AD's don't have to shop themselves around. When you oversee a program like UofA that's been doing all the great things under your watch. The programs will come looking for you. He might be sending out his resume. But, the schools are calling him as well.College AD's is big business and anyone you get as the program facilities continue to grow and teams start winning and the schools with openings will beat a path to your door.

I am first and foremost a Zips fan. I have said it before and will say it again, as a Zips fan you are either with us or you are against us. Mack is quickly making his bed as far as that is concerned. I'm not naive enough to think that people don't change jobs. Particularly at the top level of collegiate athletics. But the guy is looking more and more like he thinks he's bigger than Akron and is ready to move on. Best of luck. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Truthfully I think this going to be a similar situation as the Rutgers job. An independent firm looks for the best candidates for a University. Rhoades name is going to pop up. Now does he have slightly more interest in this job than the Rutgers one? Probably, he would be back in his home state. Is it his ideal choice? Probably not. Is he their ideal choice? He has experience with C-USA, he knows other programs, and he learned a few things on fundraising while he was here. My opinion, Houston goes with the Senior Assistant they have, and the majority of Zipsnation stays bent out of shape because someone thinks he can get better paying job somewhere near his birthplace and family. Yurachek and Dickey have pretty much been doing all the relations work as it is. So I am fine with them getting promoted when Rhoades leaves. But if you think he's half assing his responsibilities I doubt it. As long as he is trying to find another AD job, he had better be busting his ass otherwise he isn't going anywhere. Like I said last time, I would rather have and AD that is hungry to move up, than one that is complacent with what he has. It typically means more dramatic changes for the programs.

I think Zipsnation wants a Dambrot type in the AD spot. Not sure if there is anyone who fits that description, but if there is, hopefully the University is pursuing them. Mack's days here are numbered. If it isn't Houston, it'll be the next job.

Like I said last time, I would rather have and AD that is hungry to move up, than one that is complacent with what he has. It typically means more dramatic changes for the programs.Agreed to a point but you have to have some stability somewhere. I know that coaches take off and assistant coaches maybe stay a couple years. But the median time that an AD stays at a Div 1 school has to be well over 3 years.

Agreed to a point but you have to have some stability somewhere. I know that coaches take off and assistant coaches maybe stay a couple years. But the median time that an AD stays at a Div 1 school has to be well over 3 years.
December 2005 is when Rhoades was hired, so you got your "over 3 years". Now, I agree with you about stability, but that stability (for us anyway) is only going to be there if we are Top 25 team year in and year out, that's not even guaranteed. AD's move because they can make more money, see a new challenge, or retire. That is why it is important that a certain vision for the athletic department exists and why you gain stability by trying to keep individuals around by promoting from within. For schools in our situation it is more important to develop within and promote. We went outside to get Mack mostly because the previous administration had gotten us to a point and we needed an outside perspective to push us farther. I still think that the athletic vision is driven by Proenza and the current board and they recognize the importance of national attention from athletics. I guess my point is that stability does exist because of dynamic vision by people who are more important than the AD. Like someone else posted it is more important that Proenza gets to pick the new AD then it is to keep Rhoades.

Here's the PD/Alexander blurbI'm starting to hope that he either takes a job very soon, or not until next summer. We're approaching the limit here for when this becomes more than a distraction and something that could interrupt the fall sports and leave us scrambling to find somebody if he waits too long.

I think Zipsnation wants a Dambrot type in the AD spot. Not sure if there is anyone who fits that description, but if there is, hopefully the University is pursuing them. Mack's days here are numbered. If it isn't Houston, it'll be the next job.
I want a Keith Dambrot type at every position in Zips atheletics!

Here's another Leakin' :john: article with some more information. A key statement, as far as I am concerned, is shown below.

Rhoades did not apply for the position. A headhunter firm, Parker Executive Search, recommended him to the university.
I'll cut the guy some slack based on this (if it's true). It's one thing when an opportunity is presented to you. It's an entirely different thing when someone is so consumed by finding something bigger and better that you have to seriously question how much effort they're putting into their current position.Whole Article