First Rifle Match

Zipsrifle

First rifle match is in the books and the team was paced by underclassmen. Zips took 2nd, while Navy took first. 570 by Szabo in smallbore is a pretty solid score, especially for a Soph. I like to see a tightly bunched group of scores, and it would be nice if 570 was the lowest score. That should be expected for a shot at the National Championship match. Tight scores indicate a lot of competition within the team which only helps to drive up scores. The Air Rifle scores are more along the lines of what I would like to see. 584 is good score for air and I would probably set an acceptable lower limit at about 576. Again, a nice tight group there at the 576-575 level. Interesting note, compare the score of our other shooters to our defending National Champion. Early in the season, decent scores. Stay focused.One Shot Match.BELIEVE and truely EXPECT to shoot higher scores than you currently shoot. We're close folks to having another team consistently competing for a National Championship every year. Lets bring home another National Championship this year!!!! :NCAAC:http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...CLID=204807466#

I think your analysis was very generous, but let's face facts; several team members (and they shall remain unnamed here) performed like they were a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. We are lucky spectators weren't injured some of the shots taken were so wild. The guys on the club baseball team would not put up with this kind of performance and this situation better get worked out soon or we may be looking for a new head rifle coach.

Hey rifle, I can't remember [i'm getting to that age] have we won a national championship? It rings vetween my ears that we did a few yrs ago. :D With ball ammunition lock and load!
The Zips have not won a Team National Championship, but Jenna Compton did win the individual Air Rifle National Championship last year. The team has been very close to getting into the National Championship match over the past 10 years, but has never been able to make the jump.

I think your analysis was very generous, but let's face facts; several team members (and they shall remain unnamed here) performed like they were a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. We are lucky spectators weren't injured some of the shots taken were so wild. The guys on the club baseball team would not put up with this kind of performance and this situation better get worked out soon or we may be looking for a new head rifle coach.
Thanks for the heads up...I'll be careful tomorrow when I visit the range!

Where is the best tailgaiting location for home matches?
Same place as where I tailgate for football....computer center. They have a match the day of the Can't game, hope to see you there!
Well I hope TBA turns into an announced time so I can plan my day. I heard that a few of the UOTSIP/RHIT shooters were being investigated for steroid use. Any updates on this?

Same place as where I tailgate for football....computer center. They have a match the day of the Can't game, hope to see you there!
Well I hope TBA turns into an announced time so I can plan my day. I heard that a few of the UOTSIP/RHIT shooters were being investigated for steroid use. Any updates on this?
Well, who can blame the RHIT folks for needing to bulk up. I mean, they are RIDICULOUSLY smart Engineering students which means they might have a hard time even picking up a rifle. Outside of picking up the rifle, there really is no need to "Bulk up" as if you have proper form you utilize your frame to carry the load of your rifle. Actually, back in my day, the RHIT coach was always just missing the cut for the Olympic team. I think he got the program started and was a very modivated individual. I have always thought that competitive shooting would be a great sport for some of these smaller technical schools as the sport is 98% mental. I considered bringing this up to the folks at Kettering when I lived near Flint and was taking Graduate courses there. As for USP, I have no experience with their program but again, it sounds like a technical school.

Well, who can blame the RHIT folks for needing to bulk up. I mean, they are RIDICULOUSLY smart Engineering students which means they might have a hard time even picking up a rifle. Outside of picking up the rifle, there really is no need to "Bulk up" as if you have proper form you utilize your frame to carry the load of your rifle. Actually, back in my day, the RHIT coach was always just missing the cut for the Olympic team. I think he got the program started and was a very modivated individual. I have always thought that competitive shooting would be a great sport for some of these smaller technical schools as the sport is 98% mental. I considered bringing this up to the folks at Kettering when I lived near Flint and was taking Graduate courses there. As for USP, I have no experience with their program but again, it sounds like a technical school.
Speaking of which, I heard that at least two UA shooters have been placed on a high-carb diet hoping to bulk up enough so that their gravitational pull effects the opponent's aim. I mentioned this on the second match results thread, but someone erased it. I hope I didn't give away any secret strategy. :rolleyes: