Akron Rifle helps ORPA Win

Zipsrifle

Sorry for the late update. I was out of the country for 2 weeks and then I started my Engineering Graduate classes....:nutkick: (I'm the yellow M+M if didn't figure it out)

Anyway, 2 UA shooters helped the state of Ohio set a new record score and bring home the Junior Air Rifle National Championship! Below is the press release:

UA Coach Engle:

Akron Rifle Fans,

Sometimes as we go through the summer noteworthy events happen involving our athletes. I felt winning a national championship is one of these events. As you will read below Akron Zips April Engle and Megan Reinking qualified to be on the 4 person state team representing Ohio at the 3 position air gun championships. Along with junior team mates in the Akron area, the Ohio team took it all and brought the gold back to Ohio. The hard work of April and Megan continue to gain national attention for Akron Rifle.

P R E S S R E L E A S E

The Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association

Date: July 10, 2005

ORPA Junior Air Rifle Team Wins National Championship!

New National Record for Women’s Air Rifle Team!

Last year at the 2004 NRA junior air gun championships held at Pocatello Idaho, the Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association (ORPA) precision team finished in second place by a slim 3 points behind an ever powerful Pennsylvania team. For the past 364 days head coach Tom Paumier, with the cooperation of coaches from all of Ohio, have been grooming teams in preparation for the 2005 Championships held in Bloomington Illinois. On the trip home last year, Coach Paumier and the Ohio contingent decided a national championship was within reach, and they would do what ever it took to bring a championship trophy to Ohio. ORPA is proud to announce this years teams did all this and much more.

At the junior air gun championships, each state is invited to bring three teams. A 3 position precision air rifle team, a 3 position sporter air rifle team, and an air pistol team. This year, Ohio was proud to field a team for each of these categories. The first ever junior air pistol team finished in 7th place out of a field of 10 teams. The team consisted of team captain Ryan Devine (Columbus, OH) who lead the team with a score of 720 out of a possible 800 points. This impressive score ranked Ryan as one of the top 10 junior pistol athletes in the USA. Ryan was amply supported by his teammates Rene Goeppinger (Fredericktown OH) who fired a 681 and Staci Collins (Waterford OH) with a 589. All three pistol athletes are from the Big Walnut Shooting Sports Association in Delaware, Ohio. A very good showing for a first appearance at the national championships.

In the sporter rifle division Ohio again lit up the boards with some impressive scores. Team captain Dominic Mendiola (Hartville OH) lived up to the responsibilities of his position by showing his team what can be accomplished through hard work and determination. Being introduced to the championship realm last year, Mendiola knew what to do this year and went for it! Not only did he lead his team to an 8th place finish among the field of 16 teams, but he finished in the #4 individual slot overall (out of 75 competitors) only 8 points away from a Bronze medal. To put things in perspective, Dominic is now the #4 ranked, 3 position sporter air rifle athlete in the USA! This performance also earned Dominic a position on the newly formed NRA Junior Air Gun National Team! The entire ORPA sporter team consisted of:

1098 Dominic Mendiola of Hartville, Ohio, Great Trail Musketeers JRC.

1010 Rob Femer of Grove City, Ohio, Central Crossing HS JROTC.

981 Peter Deem of Waterford, Ohio, Big Walnut Shooting Sports Assn.

911 David Picard of Uniontown, Ohio, Canton McKinley Rifle & Pistol.

4000 Team Total (Individual score out of a possible 1200)

However, the precision air gun division was all Ohio! At the end of the first day of the two day competition the Ohio Team was in third place but only 6 points out of first. Remembering the 2nd place finish last year, the team met and planned for a come-from-behind victory. The Ohio team not only came from behind, but never looked back as they fired their way into a national championship victory, and set a new national record in the process. The all female team consisted of:

1181 Ashley Jackson of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, Ashland Eagles JRC.

1161 April Engle of Akron, Ohio, The University of Akron.

1154 Megan Reinking of Akron, Ohio, The University of Akron.

1141 Abbey Stanec of Wadsworth, Ohio, Ashland Eagles JRC.

4637 Team total and new Women’s 3 Position Air Rifle National Record.

This team total and new national record edged the Ohio team into a close finish ahead of shooting powerhouses like #2 Georgia (4630) and #3 Michigan (4620). But the honors continued with individual recognitions and awards. Team Captain April Engle finished in the #12 slot in the nation, and Ashley Jackson battled head to head with the best rifle athletes in the nation for top honors. When the smoke cleared, Georgia’s Phillip Huckaby emerged as the nations top gun, and Ohio’s Ashley Jackson captured the #2 slot. This stellar performance earned Ashley the Silver medal and a position on the newly formed NRA Junior Air Gun National Team!

Gaining international recognition at this years championships, two members of the ORPA team competed in the first ever international 3 position air rifle postal match against the South African National Schools Shooting Union. Ashley Jackson was a member of the 10 person precision team and Dominic Mendiola was on the 10 person sporter team. Another HUGE honor for Team Ohio! Results of the postal match will be announced at a later date.

All members of this years ORPA teams offer sincere thanks to The Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association for their generous financial assistance. As well assistance from The National Rifle Association Foundation which is supported by local Friends of the NRA events. Lastly and MOST importantly, a big thanks to the local junior rifle and pistol programs across Ohio with the coaches and parents who make Ohio the envy of the nation.

The defense of this years national championship will take place next year in Redmond Oregon. Plans are already being developed to provide the Ohio teams the best chance possible of remaining the top team in the nation. If you are interested in providing assistance (financial or otherwise) please contact the air gun director listed below.

If you, or someone you know is an Ohio resident, (or near Ohio) and interested in the Olympic and NCAA sport of air gun competitions please contact:

Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association Air Gun Director

Zipsrifle Note: I deleted the contact information. IM or e-mail me if you want contact info. I don't know if it was the directior's personal e-mail and home Phone #. I know I wouldn't want that stuff posted on the internet for everyone to see!