Zip's Cleaned House

zff

Well... you were privileged to be using that facility. Believe me those who donated to get that thing built didn't do it for the rifle team. The bottom line is the strength and conditioning staff's primary responsibilities are to the football, basketball, baseball and softball, Track and Field, and soccer teams. When I was at Akron, Dan Bailey handled the football and baseball teams and another coach was responsible for basketball with Bailey overseeing it. If you can find ONE football player who has trained under Bailey that didn't think he did an outstanding job, any of you might have a point. I guarantee you Dan Bailey was not the problem this year. One thing I heard from some of my teammates who were still around for the early Brookhart years was that JD came in and made Bailey change a lot of what he was doing, and the result was not positive. Guys in the Brookhart era were smaller and more easily injured, and that was a direct result of changes JD ordered. The Owens years might not have had the most talented guys, but do you remember those offensive lines we used to have that would absolutely MAUL you? Guys like Piccirillo, Jud Cummins, Mike Brake, and the like? Those were a direct result of Dan Bailey Stength Conditioning back when he was allowed to do it his way. Walk-ons like Ryan Myers were developed into NFL players. Guys like Chase Blackburn came into the program at 200 pounds and left looking like the incredible hulk, and they would all credit that to Dan Bailey. We never saw guys develop like that under JD, and its because he made Bailey tone down a lot of what he was doing and changed a lot of the summer program and schedules, which really put a clamp on what Bailey could do. He's as much a victim of JD's incompetence as his players were.
Can you tell us what changes JD made?

The weight room is the varsity weight room, not the football-basketball-baseball-softball-track-soccer weight room. The fact that you share such a narrow view of which teams should benefit from which school resources only proves my point. I mean, the only team who's brought home more national titles than the rifle team is track... yet let's just piss all over the little guys. Besides, I'm not just campaigning for rifle, but golf, tennis, swimming, and even volleyball. Every team should have access to good trainers and be given a workout program tailored for the necessities of their sport.
Bullseye.
Good point, ZR32! And to take it a point further, he was strength AND CONDITIONING. Sounds like he was good in the strength part, but good and proper conditioning would eliminate a lot of those injuries. I had a S&C coach in college that made us stretch daily. Personally, I couldn't touch my toes when I started with him, but by the end of the season I could get my elbows to my toes! We stretched everything, from our heads down. My career ending knee injury was from a hit that would have taken out anyone's knee.

The weight room is the varsity weight room, not the football-basketball-baseball-softball-track-soccer weight room. The fact that you share such a narrow view of which teams should benefit from which school resources only proves my point. I mean, the only team who's brought home more national titles than the rifle team is track... yet let's just piss all over the little guys. Besides, I'm not just campaigning for rifle, but golf, tennis, swimming, and even volleyball. Every team should have access to good trainers and be given a workout program tailored for the necessities of their sport.
Bullseye.
+1Let's also keep in mind that there are other facilities dedicated to many of these athletes on scholarship, and they have to do with helping them meet those basic grades. This is so all that money spent on THEIR weightroom has a chance at giving them results on the field. Yep, many of those same athletes in the "revenue" sports used to sit there, goofing off in study table while "struggling" through University college. They are given free school, free room and board, the best facilities and many still manage to screw it up! Seriously, WHY should those of us paying for our school (and theirs) who were battling through a technical degree be able to use those facilities! We don't mean anything to the University or community as a whole! How amazingly narrow minded!