ABJ Stinking it up

Noticed on my way to class this morning that the ABJ marquee on their "tower" (if it could be called that) was advertising for Can't State Sports.com and Can't State Basketball... in big bold letters... The ad kept repeating itself for as long as I could see. Seeing that, when the ABJ is pretty much across the street from UA and in direct view of every Akronite in the downtown area, made me wanna :puke:

Noticed on my way to class this morning that the ABJ marquee on their "tower" (if it could be called that) was advertising for Can't State Sports.com and Can't State Basketball... in big bold letters... The ad kept repeating itself for as long as I could see. Seeing that, when the ABJ is pretty much across the street from UA and in direct view of every Akronite in the downtown area, made me wanna :puke:
Not to defend the Leaking Urinal, but I'm sure Can't paid for that advertising. UA obviously didn't. In today's economy, and with newspapers struggling to survive, it would be a tough sell for the Beacon to turn down whatever Can't paid them for that. If you want to blame anyone, blame the UA administration for not stepping up for that advertising. However, I really don't think the little tower banner ad is going to do a whole lot for Can't.

Bottom line: Can't is paying for advertising in downtown Akron. UA is not. The only UA "billboard" that's up permanently (not on a video screen for 3 seconds and then replaced by a garden center ad) is the back of the baseball scoreboard facing McDonalds.When most people on ZN complain about marketing, they are complaining about basketball marketing in particular. It's nonexistent.

Not to defend the Leaking Urinal, but I'm sure Can't paid for that advertising. UA obviously didn't. In today's economy, and with newspapers struggling to survive, it would be a tough sell for the Beacon to turn down whatever Can't paid them for that. If you want to blame anyone, blame the UA administration for not stepping up for that advertising. However, I really don't think the little tower banner ad is going to do a whole lot for Can't.
I would suppose you are right on the whole "UA Admin not stepping up their advertising" in addition to Can't State purchasing the advertisement space. Also, I too think its not going to do a whole lot anyways, but it was really annoying to see a Can't State ad in the middle of what I thought to be UAs town. I guess the silver lining to all this is that Can't State is so desperate that theyre willing to advertise in their own rival's town. :wave:

I guess the silver lining to all this is that Can't State is so desperate that theyre willing to advertise in their own rival's town. :wave:
Thisdon't take it as an insult when in reality it is probably more of a compliment. If Can't didn't feel the need to improve their perception and exposure in Akron, that would be a problem.;)

You can take it as a compliment or an insult, fact is i was out last Wednesday night on the way to the bars with a few friends when we noticed that same ad. A few of the people with me were not affiliated with Akron in any way and are your average local OSU front runners. They noticed the Can't ad right away and saw it as a way to knock the Zips pointing out that it proves that the Zips are small time because they dont even advertise in their own local paper. When we got to the bar, we saw a comedy act. The guy who went before the main act spent about 5 minutes making fun of Akron and even mentioning that ad. Noting that "at least Akron U will get free advertising for the game when they play Can't!"If average people see us as small time because of this that can not be good and the University should take notice because they are killing whatever momentum they had coming out of last season. I honestly think there is only one guy who works in all of Athletics Marketing and he just sleeps or plays solitaire all day on his computer.

It's kind of like Akron Canton Airport buying billboard space almost at the entrance to Cleveland Hopkins.And Cleveland Hopkins advertising at Zips venues.In all fairness I see several billboards advertising Zips games along 76 and 8.

It's kind of like Akron Canton Airport buying billboard space almost at the entrance to Cleveland Hopkins.And Cleveland Hopkins advertising at Zips venues.In all fairness I see several billboards advertising Zips games along 76 and 8.
Cleveland Hopkins has an advertisement on the Info's scoreboardI just hate to look at it and know that OUR logo and website should be on that add, not Can't's. This is OUR town, not Can't's. Im absolutely sure there are OSU alum in Michigan, but you dont see OSU advertising in Ann Arbor, do you? A bit extreme, yes, but the fact remains that our University should be pushing to make the entire city of Akron a supporter of our athletic programs, not letting others come in here and stealing the little support we already have.

• 3 weeks later...
Again, see the big picture and yes it is an ugly one. This is not about The ABJ or Can't State. It's about UA, its lack of identity, and how it poorly markets itself. This letter by Dr Fey in The Buchtelite should give you reason to pause. Even he can't see what the real problem is. He blames it on the students when he should point the finger back at himself. How can UA students be true to something that lacks identity or if it gives in to those who want it to splatter itself all over downtown Akron so one can't see where it begins or leaves off?"Wear your colors-show your pride!Letter to the editorCharles J. FeyIssue date: 11/12/09 Section: Opinion Colleges and universities all across the country are engrossed in the mission of learning, discovery and engagement … and yet the biggest rallying force among the largest constituent groups (students and alumni) is college football. Whether it is watching the Big Green of Dartmouth College, the Crimson Tide of Alabama, the Red Raiders of Texas Tech, the Lobos of the University of New Mexico, the Bruins of UCLA or the Huskies of the University of Washington folks flock to their football stadiums to cheer on their teams. All of those students and alumni bleed their school colors and cheer as loudly as they can at their games. Walk the halls of PSU and you will see lions everywhere, or the halls of LSU and you will see nothing but tigers … or the halls of Baylor University, where you'll see lots of bears, oh my. Students at these campuses wear their college names and their mascots proudly every day. So, why is it that here at the University of Akron we see so many t-shirts, sweatshirts and ballcaps with the logo of some other college or university?I see Ohio State (and I keep hearing about how it is the school everyone in Ohio is weaned on, but still …), I see Cincinnati and I sometimes see a Michigan shirt. More confusing is the number of Miami, Ohio and BGSU logos that I see on our campus. How can that happen?Those are our conference rivals.I have even seen Can't State shirts on campus. Are you serious? What would be said to a person wearing a Michigan shirt at Ohio State? This behavior borders on athletic and institutional sacrilege. This is Roo-town for heaven's sake. We need to act like it! We need to develop pride in our "brand" - in our school. You should never wear another institution's colors or mascot or name on our campus, unless you are paying tribute to your dad or mom who went to that other institution before they were enlightened. And if you are wearing those other schools' clothes, it should only be a rare occasion like you ran out of quarters to do your laundry -and then wear the shirt inside out on those unfortunate days Where is our school pride?We need to always and proudly, wear our university colors and our name and our mascot, certainly on our campus - but everywhere off campus we can - to show our pride and to support our teams and our school.So every Friday during our football and basketball seasons and the day before every game, wear our colors and our name - proudly - on our campus and everywhere we go during those days. Wear your pride day! Wear the Gold and Blue! So, let's stack the stadium during every football game. Fill the field for every soccer game or every softball game. Jam the JAR for our volleyball games and certainly for all of our upcoming basketball games to support our great MAC championship men's basketball team and our terrific women's team!Let's rock our Roo-town so loudly that they hear us in that horseshoe in Columbus and wonder what in the world is happening up north!Join the AK-Rowdies and support your team.As so famously stated by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys back in the 60s, "So be true to your school now/Just like you would to your girl or guy/Be true to your school now/ And let your colors fly/Be true to your school. Be true to your school, the University of Akron! GO ZIPS!"How can UA students and the ABJ, for that matter be true to a school that tolerates, if not encourages the bastardization of its campus and redefinition of its name to Akron U? When was the last time you've heard the University of Cincinnati called Cincinnati U or The University of Michigan called Michigan U.? How about the next time Brubakers, located downtown in a (private) UA student apartment complex features an inflatable Brutis instead of Zippy, the AK Rowdies take matters into their own hands and UA students stop patronizing Brubakers...all of them.

How can UA students and the ABJ, for that matter be true to a school that tolerates, if not encourages the bastardization of its campus and redefinition of its name to Akron U? When was the last time you've heard the University of Cincinnati called Cincinnati U or The University of Michigan called Michigan U.? How about the next time Brubakers, located downtown in a (private) UA student apartment complex features an inflatable Brutis instead of Zippy, the AK Rowdies take matters into their own hands and UA students stop patronizing Brubakers...all of them.
The University of Cincinnati is simply referred to as Cincinnati or UC. The University of Michigan is called just Michigan. You really have a very skewed look at things.The heart of where you come from is something I agree with, (pushing the Universyt of Akron up and improving the image) but the means are flawed.You don't win over Joe Akron with your approach.

I have been wanting to say this for a long time, Jake...I don't understand WHY you are so bent on completly separating UA from Akron. I don't get it. The makeup of a majority of Akron's Students, the urban and intergrated feel of the campus, the color of the new additions, the new alliances with local businesses and partnerships, and local schools show that UA would not exist without the city of Akron. Akron would not be in the fair shape its in now without UA. Having this "UA needs to be separate and stay away from Akron" makes no sense. Having that mentality of drawing a line in the sand does nothing for either party- the city doesn't feel wanted on campus, the campus may develop a snootier, higher-than-thou attitude. UA doesn't need that.

I have to agree with Jake on some levels. I'll use Ptt as an example, after driving by it and finding it is difficult hard to separate its buildings from non-University buildings. It does not seem to have been built with a clear identity and to me not very inviting or attractive. I can see the benefits of mixing students with downtown businesses. Pitt probably has a lot more food and entertainment options for its students but I don't like the overall look. Now if the city of Akron can pony up some money and build a better arena than the University can do alone, than I can put my emotions aside and say build it downtown.

I have to agree with Jake on some levels. I'll use Ptt as an example, after driving by it and finding it is difficult hard to separate its buildings from non-University buildings. It does not seem to have been built with a clear identity and to me not very inviting or attractive. I can see the benefits of mixing students with downtown businesses. Pitt probably has a lot more food and entertainment options for its students but I don't like the overall look. Now if the city of Akron can pony up some money and build a better arena than the University can do alone, than I can put my emotions aside and say build it downtown.
If you believe this, you're in direct violation of the "Jake Edict". You are now on "the list". :CK_brew:

urbanpreppie (aka: self-annointed public relations expert)- what wall are you bouncing off of with your verbal slight-of-hand?Nowhere have I advocated divorcing UA from Akron. To claim I have, is inaccurate if not dishonest. Also G-mann17, I realize that The University of Cincinatti is referred to as "Cincinnati" and that The University of Michigan is referred to as "Michigan" just as I realize that The University of Akron is referred to as "Akron"...no problem with any of that. Someone is missing the point, redefining my statements and is skewed himself. The point is, those universities are never referred to in an incorrect manner such as Cincinnati U or Michigan U. And this just in: The University of Notre Dame can be and almost always is referred to as "Notre Dame" yet never "Notre Dame U".And, as far as my means are concerned, just what do you think are my means and what is it with this cliché and contrived entity someone has dubbed as "Joe Akron"? I really don't put a whole lot of stock in appeasing an entity who's existence is questionable at best. There is nothing wrong and everything right with UA having healthy, visible boundaries and separating itself enough to have a visual identity ( see InfoCision Stadium). By doing so UA isn't divorcing itself from the rest of the city. To the contrary, it enhances the city. So, my means are no different than the means UA and other respected universities are already using. And why we are on the subject of my means, I'd like to suggest that to focus on my approach instead of the meat of the matter is nothing more than a dishonest way to avoid the truth and the real issue. It is what people do when they can't win the argument...instead, they focus on the emotional at the expense of the intellectual. It would be best if you not try to become my or anyone else's mommy. This is a forum that is clearly open to the blunt and the brazen. So please spare us your preoccupation with your false thin skin as a dishonest means to wiggle out of being exposed for having a contaminated, wrong thinking process.Perhaps someone needs to make himself aware of the difference between boundaries and walls and not jump to conclusions. I'm talking boundaries and not walls. Working closely and in partnership with the greater Akron community and region and not just with downtown is an asset about the university that I support and have never ridiculed. So don't put words in my mouth please. My concern is with those who demand that UA become enmeshed with downtown as opposed to working closely with the entire community and region. And like it or not, the so-called Joe Akrons of the world are going to have to stop being in denial of the fact that The University of Akron is no longer Hilltop High, Akron U. and more importantly, not a community college. If there is a "Joe Akron" as someone insists, then good old Joe will just be left out in the cold if he chooses to blind himself to the fact that we now have a university that is about more than Akron, Ohio just as Ken+ State is about more then Ken+, Ohio and Ohio State is about more than Columbus, Ohio.As the old Florida Orange Juice commercial goes: "We're not just for breakfast anymore."You can't have it both ways. If you want UA to be recognized as real and legitimate, then you must support its efforts to behave in ways that makes it distinguishable. Otherwise, don't complain when you perceive entities such as the ABJ treating UA as invisible or get pissed off when the locals elevate other schools at the expense of UA.And by the way, the individual and corporate contributors of The University of Akron can hardly be described as "Joe Akron" that is if there is such an entity having influence in the first place. And let me clarify that the desire of those within the University of Akron community and Akron community (aka: "Joe Akron" if you insist) to construct an on-campus arena as opposed to a downtown one is not rooted in emotion. Just like the quest for an on-campus stadium, it is a strategic and tactical position aimed at the OBJECTIVE of attracting more students to the campus and the GOAL of building up the global image of The University of Akron. This in turn will enhance the greater Akron community, county, region and state. So, please do not redefine UA's efforts to become a great university as some sort of emotional whim.Now, will someone tell Joe Akron (UA David) to get his parochial, downtown diaper changed and learn to think regionally. That dog known as the "downtown Akron rant" just don't hunt no more!Oh, and by the way... thanks for the instructions on how to ignore a particular poster. I'm finding that it works out just fine.