The Don gets his hotel.

If it's built right, it will be a boon to the city. It needs to have multiple business-oriented facilities like conference rooms. Things that the current downtown hotel is too outdated to provide. It also needs an easier way to get pedestrians to downtown. Maybe a staircase leading up the wall that's north of Perkins or maybe a city-run elevator. It would connect the Northside to Downtown and that can only benefit both areas.

I am always amazed at the haters at ohio.com. I don't see how building a new 10 story hotel in downtown Akron is a bad thing. I don't know where the funding is coming from, but if it isn't from the city, there is even less reason to complain. What is so terrible about having a nice, new 10 story hotel in the center of your city to bring people into your city? Apparently there is a lot wrong with it judging by some of the comments! I dont' know about everyone else, but from when I started school back in the early-mid 90's Downtown was absolutely horrible! It's not Chicago now but it's a hell of a lot better. I'll probably stay there at some point shortly after it is built for a Zips game.

I am always amazed at the haters at ohio.com. .....

As a multi-decade internet forum participant, going back to the era when ASCII text and painfully slow phone modems ruled, I can tell you that I was amazed to see the rise of trolls along with easier and faster nternet forum access. In the early days, most people were mostly friendly, and the haters were universally disliked and ostracized.

I honestly cannot get my mind around the concept of perpetually hanging out on forums and spewing poisonous venom at anything that moves. But some people apparently think it's the cool thing to do, and they're very good at it in the same way that pigs are very good at rolling around in the mud and enjoying feelings of ecstasy.

Don't ever make the mistake of telling a pig that they're misguided to enjoy rooting around in the mud. People are people and pigs are pigs, and never the twain shall meet.

What is so terrible about having a nice, new 10 story hotel in the center of your city to bring people into your city? I'll probably stay there at some point shortly after it is built for a Zips game.

There is nothing wrong with building this hotel. However, building hotels alone isn't the answer. The City needs to give people a reason to do business downtown in order to make the hotel a business that can survive.

I look forward to staying at it myself. As a Platinum Rewards Member at this brand i will get a free room using my points.

If it's built right, it will be a boon to the city. It needs to have multiple business-oriented facilities like conference rooms. Things that the current downtown hotel is too outdated to provide. It also needs an easier way to get pedestrians to downtown. Maybe a staircase leading up the wall that's north of Perkins or maybe a city-run elevator. It would connect the Northside to Downtown and that can only benefit both areas.

First off, it is nice to get a new hotel near downtown, and Courtyard's are generally reliable accommodations.

I have to wonder however if this is really the best place for a hotel downtown. Zach brings up a valid point in my opinion. It ought to be walkable from places like the Info & Canal Park. This location is a bit of a stretch in my mind.

I don't think it necessarily means it' s a bad idea .. mostly I'm just frightened that the same thing occurred to me as that occurred to the kid.

If you only have one downtown hotel, the best place to be is generally right square in the middle of everything rather than toward one of the edges. While it may not be the perfect location, it may in turn lead to more development in that area, which would in turn expand the area of downtown that's attractive to visitors. Ideally you'd hope a continuing growth would lead to the need for a second downtown hotel.

It's funny that a block north of Market St. is not considered "downtown," but "Northside." Compared to other cities, it would be considered part of "downtown," and that's what I consider it to be no matter what it's named -- especially the way UA is gobbling up the Eastside of what would be considered "downtown" in other cities.

Expansion of an attractive downtown area sure beats contraction.

It also needs an easier way to get pedestrians to downtown. Maybe a staircase leading up the wall that's north of Perkins or maybe a city-run elevator. It would connect the Northside to Downtown and that can only benefit both areas.

Interesting idea. Could be cool to have a stairway (think walkways similar to those Vegas, only covered?) up to the NW corner of High St and MLK at the bridge so access to the restaurants, shops, art museum, etc. is easier.

There's lots of things nearby there to interest visitors: art galleries, park access (trails, train, Mustill Store, canal, new Schumacher Mill site), food...

It would also be nice if the Innerbelt went back to being a top jazz club, but I'm not sure if that would be economically feasable anymore. A trolley loop (Main/Howard, Furnace, Summit, MLK/Perkins, High) could be another possibility. I know they run one similar to that, but I don't know how regular it is or if it's just for special events.

It's funny that a block north of Market St. is not considered "downtown," but "Northside." Compared to other cities, it would be considered part of "downtown," and that's what I consider it to be no matter what it's named -- especially the way UA is gobbling up the Eastside of what would be considered "downtown" in other cities.

It is considered downtown. It's just a district of downtown, like the warehouse district is in Cleveland.

I was reading on another forum (urbanohio) that the mayor was shooting for a new downtown hotel and had one in the works...

...and this wasn't it. :-)

The fact that Akron is getting a new Downtown Hotel and it's a MARRIOTT, is a good thing. With the City Centre Hotel being um, less than desirable, and the Quaker Pretty much Res Hall Space, this is something that will help the city's tourism. Do I wish it was closer to the center of downtown? Yes. But then again, a shuttle will at least meet some of the need for awhile!

Having a recognizable brand on the hotel is important for drawing in out-of-town visitors.

I am curoius what other hotel the Don has in mind.

I don't completely agree with that. With online reservations and reviews, people have the ability to find nice places to stay no matter the brand. We've stayed in only two or three "name" places in the past 7 years and we travel at least three times per year.

But I do agree that there is a certain comfort in knowing what you'll get from a chain you've had some experience with.

I'm curious how the renovation project by the Civic and Lock 3 was going. There were three old buildings that a developer was renovating for residential/retail.

I don't completely agree with that. With online reservations and reviews, people have the ability to find nice places to stay no matter the brand. We've stayed in only two or three "name" places in the past 7 years and we travel at least three times per year.

But I do agree that there is a certain comfort in knowing what you'll get from a chain you've had some experience with.

I'm curious how the renovation project by the Civic and Lock 3 was going. There were three old buildings that a developer was renovating for residential/retail.

The hotel brand isn't as important to individual and family travelers, as they are free to stay wherever they think is best for them. It's hugely important for businesses, though, who often have contracts with specific chains to hold conferences and events in.

About the old buildings, I know that the Kaiser Building got a major grant for renovations recently.

Kaiser Building in Akron Total estimated project expenditures: $1.9 million; Total value of credit: $374,415 Located in downtown Akron, the Kaiser Building is the oldest remaining building on Main Street. The three story structure is in the heart of a district seeing new investment and interest, including expansion of the University of Akron into downtown. Once restored, the Kaiser Building will house retail uses on the first floor and professional office suites above.