CD/Game Exchange Being Torn Down

I noticed that they were tearing down the CD/Game exchange building on exchange across the street from the stadium. Anyone have a clue whats going on there? That place looked like crap anyways, so its probably a good thing its being torn out.

I noticed that they were tearing down the CD/Game exchange building on exchange across the street from the stadium. Anyone have a clue whats going on there? That place looked like crap anyways, so its probably a good thing its being torn out.

Isn't there some tanning business still in there?

Yes, but they've decided to start using natural sunlight, so the building had to go.. :D

Yes, but they've decided to start using natural sunlight, so the building had to go.. :D

Funny. But now that I think about it, there is the new " artificial tanning" tax being put into effect recently.

It's a good location, but so is that old carwash that was supposed to be a skyway that isn't anything at all. You would think that both those corners would see new business moving in to take advantage of the stadium and new dorms.

Funny. But now that I think about it, there is the new " artificial tanning" tax being put into effect recently.

It's a good location, but so is that old carwash that was supposed to be a skyway that isn't anything at all. You would think that both those corners would see new business moving in to take advantage of the stadium and new dorms.

You would think so. Maybe restaurants are weary of losing customers during the summer when most students leave, or during the winter when they are too lazy to walk to get food. Also any place that opens up HAS to take ZipCards. If any place doesn't, it will totally be ignored by students.

Another urban icon bites the grime.

obvious troll is obvious...

pretty sure that place was the most shady-looking business on exchange this side of rt 8 (excluding the plasma center - thats a given)

You would think so. Maybe restaurants are weary of losing customers during the summer when most students leave, or during the winter when they are too lazy to walk to get food. Also any place that opens up HAS to take ZipCards. If any place doesn't, it will totally be ignored by students.

Taking Zip cards isn't a problem. The Chipotles at Chapel Jill and Highland Square take them. The Sheetz at the corner of Main and Waterloo takes them. It's not that big a deal, especially if you're just across the street from campus.

And losing students in the summer is a big thing, but other businesses on Exchange seem to do just fine. In the winter, with the new dorms being built on Spicer, it's actually easier for the students to walk to that location the Subway next to it than to walk around the field house to campus.

Taking Zip cards isn't a problem. The Chipotles at Chapel Jill and Highland Square take them. The Sheetz at the corner of Main and Waterloo takes them. It's not that big a deal, especially if you're just across the street from campus.

And losing students in the summer is a big thing, but other businesses on Exchange seem to do just fine. In the winter, with the new dorms being built on Spicer, it's actually easier for the students to walk to that location the Subway next to it than to walk around the field house to campus.

I know taking ZipCards isn't a problem most places oaround campus do take them, but there are still some that will refuse. They don't realize how much business they are losing. I've never found an Arbys to take one, same with Swansons and all the good chinese places near campus. It's frustrating because we don't want to spend money on food, when it is technically already paid for. Also UA really needs to make a better system. A lot of the time the scanners won't work and that means more money out of our pockets. One time I had over $100 worth or groceries at Daves and the stupid card machine wouldn't work. The lady didn't even try and I didn't want to spend money so I had to leave all the food there. terrible experience!

From what I understand the ZipCard is quite expensive for the business user.

I understand what you mean when you say that you don't want to spend cash when you have money on your card, but businesses have to way project the amount of business they potentially will gain versus what they lose in not having it. It sound like you still go to Arby's and Swensons so I'm guessing they haven't lost you as a customer and thus may have made a smart decision. The larger the expense the smaller their margins.

After a little information gathering, I am pretty sure that the property on the corner is owned by either Subway or the franchise owner. No idea what's going in there, if anything. Subway has more than enough parking already, especially with no other businesses there, so I have to think something new will go in instead of leaving it empty especially with the new and future dorms to draw from.

What I wish was on exchange:

1. Chick-fil-a

2. Arbys

3. Johnny Rockets (will never happen) usually only in very busy parts of town

4. Krispy Kreme

5. Cold Stone (would run DQ out)

I think girls would want either Panera, Chipotle, or ya another Starbucks...

id say the top 2 are most likely, Chick-fil-a is actually sold at the JAR and Info, and Arbys is the sponsor of the student section. So both have somewhat connections to UA.

Funny story about starbucks...

Supposedly they are opening one in the Exchange Street Dorms next door to DQ. That brings the total to 3 starbucks locations within the confines of the UA campus (Polsky, Student Union, and now Exchange).

Id love to see a Chipotle open near campus, but I don't see that happening since there's 2 within easy driving distance of campus. A Chick-fil-A, however, would be a good addition

Supposedly they are opening one in the Exchange Street Dorms next door to DQ. That brings the total to 3 starbucks locations within the confines of the UA campus (Polsky, Student Union, and now Exchange).

Id love to see a Chipotle open near campus, but I don't see that happening since there's 2 within easy driving distance of campus. A Chick-fil-A, however, would be a good addition

Yeah I heard about a starbucks going in the old "campus palette" location or whatever the failed art store was. Also had heard about a Chick-fil-a going in the student union where planet underground used to be. But I'm not sure how true these rumors were seeing as I heard them years ago and still nothing has happened...

Yeah I heard about a starbucks going in the old "campus palette" location or whatever the failed art store was. Also had heard about a Chick-fil-a going in the student union where planet underground used to be. But I'm not sure how true these rumors were seeing as I heard them years ago and still nothing has happened...

Starbucks isn't a rumor, I have seen them loading espresso machines and milk steamers into the old campus palette all summer. Scheduled to open in the fall.

Yeah the Starbucks rumor seems to be very true in the Exchange Street dorms where the art store was. The sign actually is already up for it. I think it would make an absolute killing if they had picked a location where they could put in a drive-through near campus, but I'm sure this one will still do well

Starbucks isn't a rumor, I have seen them loading espresso machines and milk steamers into the old campus palette all summer. Scheduled to open in the fall.

great news, although I tend to feel awkward going into that place, they do have some great drinks

I want NO STINKIN' CHAINS. I hate chain restaurants or stores, but that's probably all that will go in. :unsure:

Better than an abandoned building.

What I really want to see open up somewhere on campus is a place like this. Unique idea, and perfect for college students.

I'd love to see this open in the downtown area. It was packed with students in Halifax.

Yeah the Starbucks rumor seems to be very true in the Exchange Street dorms where the art store was. The sign actually is already up for it. I think it would make an absolute killing if they had picked a location where they could put in a drive-through near campus, but I'm sure this one will still do well

They all do well, for some reason. Put one somewhere on the north side of campus with a drivethrough. There's plenty of room (and traffic) on the corner of College and Market Streets, and it could serve both students and lots of downtown commuters.

I want NO STINKIN' CHAINS. I hate chain restaurants or stores, but that's probably all that will go in. :unsure:

Better than an abandoned building.

What I really want to see open up somewhere on campus is a place like this. Unique idea, and perfect for college students.

I love the concept, but to own a franchise is a $250,000 to $300, 000 propostiion.