'Cuse will play 2 FCS teams

MaxZIP

Why would they play two FCS teams back-to-back? I can't believe their fans would travel to Akron to watch a game when they are already paying for two "preseason" games at the Carrier Dome. Imagine if Akron charged full price to see GW and Morgan State in the same year.

Why would they play two FCS teams back-to-back? I can't believe their fans would travel to Akron to watch a game when they are already paying for two "preseason" games at the Carrier Dome. Imagine if Akron charged full price to see GW and Morgan State in the same year.

Maybe that's why they're coming to Akron in the numbers they are. At least they get to watch a game between two FBS teams.

The Gate has a slight lead over Syracuse beacuse they have been playing football against one another since 1891. During the early days before they had FCS. Colgate had Syracuse's number. No matter how good SU was they could not beat Colgate. It was one of the feirecest riverlys in college football in the northeast. There are even acconts of a newspaper reporter from Hamilton(where Colgate is located) running on the field to tackle an Orange player saving a touchdown and the game for the Red Raiders. Colgate would beat Syracuse so much that they began to say that Colgate had some kind of magic when they played SU and they called it "The Hoodo" Whenever Colgate fans chanted this the SU fans would respond "We Do" in fact there even a story that when they where buliding Archbold stadim some Colgate fan snuck in and put a marron Colgate sweater in the cement and thats how the Hoodoo was started. In the 70 year span Syracuse has won 26 of 62 games with 5 ties.

What I found to be of interest in one of those FCS match-ups, is that 'Gate actually has a slight edge over 'Cuse in the all-time series. For a program with as rich of a history as SU has, that was pretty surprising to me.

Link

Frankly, I expect Cuse to "Paste Colgate"! :D

We were orig scheduled to play VT but it was dropped for some reason, so SU was stuck with trying to fill a void late when almost all teams had their schedules set. But Colgate is as solid of a FCS team as it gets, won the championship in '03 and they're like 110-50 under their current coach. SU cruised to a 52-6 victory on its way to an undefeated season in '87 the last time we played them... not saying well have a undefeted season again this year (WE WON'T), but it's still a cool fact going into the game.

What I found to be of interest in one of those FCS match-ups, is that 'Gate actually has a slight edge over 'Cuse in the all-time series. For a program with as rich of a history as SU has, that was pretty surprising to me.

Link

Colgate was an eastern power back in the 1900-1950 time frame. The last time they beat Syracuse was like 1951 or something. Our AD canceled out on a 2 game series with Virginia Tech about a year ago. VT got Boise State instead...our AD office couldn't find another 1A team to play at home so the past Spring they settled with Colgate. The idea by te AD was to lighten the OOC schedule as Syracuse usually plays the toughest one in the Big East. It is hoped to help our rebuilding.

Colgate gets to hop on a bus for 45 mins, collect 400k or so and hopefully lose. BTW, Colgate is one of the better 1AAs out there.

Link

Colgate was an eastern power back in the 1900-1950 time frame. The last time they beat Syracuse was like 1951 or something. Our AD canceled out on a 2 game series with Virginia Tech about a year ago. VT got Boise State instead...our AD office couldn't find another 1A team to play at home so the past Spring they settled with Colgate. The idea by te AD was to lighten the OOC schedule as Syracuse usually plays the toughest one in the Big East. It is hoped to help our rebuilding.

Colgate gets to hop on a bus for 45 mins, collect 400k or so and hopefully lose. BTW, Colgate is one of the better 1AAs out there.

Agreed! Especially for a non-scholly FCS program. I wouldn't want them coming to the Info.