Kentucky Game

GP1

I had the chance to see Miami, BG, OU, Can't and Akron play yesterday. I didn't expect us to beat Kentucky yesterday on our best day, but after seeing the rest of the MAC play I'm confident this team could win at least four games. Let's talk about who is most responsible for winning those games while we review the game yesterday.

The PLAYERS on this team need to play better. I can't be any more clear. The PLAYERS need to play better.

Specifically, Nicely needs to have better accuracy. His accuracy was the one thing I feared about him coming into this season and it appears as if my fears are coming true. He horribly overthrew to one and then underthrew to another wide open WRs. Both plays were touchdowns converted into incomplete passes. Nicely also STILL struggles mightily throwing simple short passes with consistency. We can win any MAC game we play in this year if he improves in these areas. If we don't, we won't. Big plays are hugely important for a pro style offense and we need to convert them.

We were told on this board last week that our WRs aren't good enough to get open against those titans of the gridiron, GW....I'm here to tell you that if they can get that open against Kentucky, they should have been able to abuse GW. If they can get wide open against an SEC school, they can get open against a MAC school. With that said, I would like to direct this comment to #82......When the ball hits you in the freaking hands 40 yards down field with nobody around, catch the ball!.....Just catch the freaking ball.....you get a full scholarship to a quasi D-IA school to catch the ball, earn the money. We can win any MAC game this season if the WRs catch balls when they are open 40 yards down field.

We are running a pro style offense, which I hate, but it is what it is. Pro style offenses depend on the QBs, WRs and coaches. The play calling in the first half last night was about as good as I have seen it in years. The problem was with the players not executing the offense. Specifically, the QB and WR. These two (Edit: OOPS) positions left 21 points on the table in the first half last night. This has to change. If this doesn't change by the end of the year, we need to change the people or change the people. JC plays should be brought in for immediate change if the players can't change.

We can win in the MAC with our defense. 34 is the best undersized LB this school has seen since Brian Hilk. The DL played well until they were overwhelmed by an SEC o-line. The DBs struggled, but they were also overwhelmed by much better SEC talent. We can win any MAC game this season with this defense on the field. Seeing what the competition is in the MAC yesterday, I don't shake in fear at the rest of the MAC offenses. We can win games.

Coaching. I dont' have a problem with the game plan. We came out aggressive, took shots down field and moved the ball. The players were prepared on offense. The defense was equally prepared. Once you get down to a really good team, everything falls apart. When they knew we couldn't throw the ball down field, they covered short and midrange passes well and we were doomed.

Special teams. Enough with the pop up kick. Good FG by Igor. We really don't know much about our KO return because KY had a great kicker who could put the ball in the endzone.

In closing, if you are going to blame anyone for the poor performance yesterday, blame the players. I don't think the overall performance was that bad. A couple of key positions came up short and things got out of control...we aren't the first MAC school to have that happen to them against an SEC school.

This team should go at least 4-4 in the MAC this season. If they don't, it's the PLAYERS fault. I've been saying it for a long time now on this board...we always blame the wrong people. We blame coaches, we blame the stadiums, we blame the practice field, we have even taken to blaming former athletic directors for our troubles. Blame the players.

Now let's go out and win the MAC East.

I had the chance to see Miami, BG, OU, Can't and Akron play yesterday. I didn't expect us to beat Kentucky yesterday on our best day, but after seeing the rest of the MAC play I'm confident this team could win at least four games. Let's talk about who is most responsible for winning those games while we review the game yesterday.

The PLAYERS on this team need to play better. I can't be any more clear. The PLAYERS need to play better.

Specifically, Nicely needs to have better accuracy. His accuracy was the one thing I feared about him coming into this season and it appears as if my fears are coming true. He horribly overthrew to one and then underthrew to another wide open WRs. Both plays were touchdowns converted into incomplete passes. Nicely also STILL struggles mightily throwing simple short passes with consistency. We can win any MAC game we play in this year if he improves in these areas. If we don't, we won't. Big plays are hugely important for a pro style offense and we need to convert them.

We were told on this board last week that our WRs aren't good enough to get open against those titans of the gridiron, GW....I'm here to tell you that if they can get that open against Kentucky, they should have been able to abuse GW. If they can get wide open against an SEC school, they can get open against a MAC school. With that said, I would like to direct this comment to #82......When the ball hits you in the freaking hands 40 yards down field with nobody around, catch the ball!.....Just catch the freaking ball.....you get a full scholarship to a quasi D-IA school to catch the ball, earn the money. We can win any MAC game this season if the WRs catch balls when they are open 40 yards down field.

We are running a pro style offense, which I hate, but it is what it is. Pro style offenses depend on the QBs, WRs and coaches. The play calling in the first half last night was about as good as I have seen it in years. The problem was with the players not executing the offense. Specifically, the QB and WR. These two positions left 21 points on the table in the first half last night. This has to change. If this doesn't change by the end of the year, we need to change the people or change the people. JC plays should be brought in for immediate change if the players can't change.

We can win in the MAC with our defense. 34 is the best undersized LB this school has seen since Brian Hilk. The DL played well until they were overwhelmed by an SEC o-line. The DBs struggled, but they were also overwhelmed by much better SEC talent. We can win any MAC game this season with this defense on the field. Seeing what the competition is yesterday, I don't shake in fear at the rest of the MAC offenses. We can win games.

Coaching. I dont' have a problem with the game plan. We came out aggressive, took shots down field and moved the ball. The players were prepared on offense. The defense was equally prepared. Once you get down to a really good team, everything falls apart. When they knew we couldn't throw the ball down field, they covered short and midrange passes well and we were doomed.

Special teams. Enough with the pop up kick. Good FG by Igor. We really don't know much about our KO return because KY had a great kicker who could put the ball in the endzone.

In closing, if you are going to blame anyone for the poor performance yesterday, blame the players. I don't think the overall performance was that bad. A couple of key positions came up short and things got out of control...we aren't the first MAC school to have that happen to them against an SEC school.

This team should go at least 4-4 in the MAC this season. If they don't, it's the PLAYERS fault. I've been saying it for a long time now on this board...we always blame the wrong people. We blame coaches, we blame the stadiums, we blame the practice field, we have even taken to blaming former athletic directors for our troubles. Blame the players.

*slow clap*

"Are we good or Bad?"

We're good. Really good.

We're neither really good or really bad. What we are is good enough to win in the MAC. Now we just have to execute better.

I think 172 yards of total offense versus 544 yards allowed qualifies the Zips as "really bad".

"Are we good or Bad?"

We're good. Really good.

We're neither really good or really bad. What we are is good enough to win in the MAC. Now we just have to execute better.

I think 172 yards of total offense versus 544 yards allowed qualifies the Zips as "really bad".

172 yards is bad. How did they get there? Well, one missed pass that hit a WR in the hands that would have been a TD. Two poorly thrown balls by the QB that would have been TDs....at the least big plays. Two guys left at least 120 yards on the table. Probably 21 points.

They won't be giving up 544 yards against MAC teams. They are out of their league when they play the SEC. The SEC is the best D-1A conference...the MAC is the near the bottom. The outcome should not have been a surprise to anyone. I'm actually shocked we didn't lose 56-0. What could have happened is a lot worse than what actually happened.

I'm still holding out hope the MAC is as bad as I think it is. I actually saw a bunch of MAC teams play yesterday. We can beat any of them if they players just play better. They just need to pick up their first win. Once JD got his first win against Can't in 2004, things turned around. It can happen again.

Try to stay positive Zips fans. There are a lot of games to be played and there are a lot of winnable games out there. We shouldn't give up on a 4-6 win season.

"Are we good or Bad?"

We're good. Really good.

172 yards is bad. How did they get there? Well, one missed pass that hit a WR in the hands that would have been a TD. Two poorly thrown balls by the QB that would have been TDs....at the least big plays. Two guys left at least 120 yards on the table. Probably 21 points.

They won't be giving up 544 yards against MAC teams. They are out of their league when they play the SEC. The SEC is the best D-1A conference...the MAC is the near the bottom. The outcome should not have been a surprise to anyone. I'm actually shocked we didn't lose 56-0. What could have happened is a lot worse than what actually happened.

I'm still holding out hope the MAC is as bad as I think it is. I actually saw a bunch of MAC teams play yesterday. We can beat any of them if they players just play better. They just need to pick up their first win. Once JD got his first win against Can't in 2004, things turned around. It can happen again.

Try to stay positive Zips fans. There are a lot of games to be played and there are a lot of winnable games out there. We shouldn't give up on a 4-6 win season.

I have been trying to be positive and try and find bright spots. But they are really few and far between. When you look at our performance so far, we are:

0-3.

Maine outperformed us in every statistic in their loss to Syracuse.

Gardner-Webb lost to Western Carolina at home.

Western Kentucky had better stats against UK than the Zips.

I realize that statistics can be misleading and comparisons between like opponents sometimes don't mean a whole lot. But DAMN! Looking at what has happened so far is not very encouraging.

I keep waiting for them to show me something. Although we were losing last year I felt we were competitive most weeks and looked like we wanted to win. So far this year judging from the body language of the players, it looks as if Nate Burney is the only one fired up, ready to play and wanting to win.

Next week is another chance for a start in the right direction. We need to see some progression!

Scorchers in the Valley had the game on the main bar screen and one in the back... but they had a band coming in and I only saw the first 2 quarters before bailing.

I was amazed by ALL THOSE DOWNFIELD PASSES! wow

Unfortunately, I was amazed that NONE of them were accurate. :( Our receivers were open on almost all of them. :wall:

I had to leave. It was probably a good thing. Our defense didn't let the game get out of hand for over a quarter. That was nice.

I was amazed by ALL THOSE DOWNFIELD PASSES! wow

Unfortunately, I was amazed that NONE of them were accurate. :( Our receivers were open on almost all of them. :wall:

I would call my emotions about the plays downfield pleasantly surprised.

The inaccuracy was the single most frustrating thing about the game yesterday.

0-3.

Maine outperformed us in every statistic in their loss to Syracuse.

Gardner-Webb lost to Western Carolina at home.

Western Kentucky had better stats against UK than the Zips.

We can't control what other teams do. We can control what we do. They players need to gain control over this team and win some games. Throwing accurate passes and catching the ball is something the players can control and they need to start doing so.

If they can get wide open against an SEC school, they can get open against a MAC school.

heres my question. were they open because they were beating the D or was the D paying little attention to them because they have no respect for our passing game. (which Akron didn't show any reason for them to do so)

If they can get wide open against an SEC school, they can get open against a MAC school.

heres my question. were they open because they were beating the D or was the D paying little attention to them because they have no respect for our passing game. (which Akron didn't show any reason for them to do so)

It doesn't matter. If they can run past an SEC safety and corner, they can run by a GW or MAC safety or corner.

And the SEC mystique continues.

If the SEC isn't the best conference, which is? I would lean to the Big 12...you probably disagree. The Big 10 lost 2of3 against the PAC10 yesterday and was an extra point miss away from possibly losing 3of3. The Big 10 and the darling of the Big 10 and Kirk Herbstreit, tOSU, will be exposed for being frauds by the end of the season. I wouldn't put them at the top.

If the SEC isn't the best conference, which is? I would lean to the Big 12...you probably disagree. The Big 10 lost 2of3 against the PAC10 yesterday and was an extra point miss away from possibly losing 3of3. The Big 10 and the darling of the Big 10 and Kirk Herbstreit, tOSU, will be exposed for being frauds by the end of the season. I wouldn't put them at the top.

First off, I never said a word about the B10 or Ohio State. So you can get off of your inferiority complex because you weren't good enough to get a scholly there. As for Herbie. I LOL at how clueless you are. Most OSU people can't stand him because he goes so far out of his way to not be an OSU homer that it is ridiculous. Keep thinking you have a clue though. People like me that follow more than just UA know how clueless you are.

Secondly, I agree that the SEC is the best conference right now. No doubt about it. All that means is that the SEC has many good teams. People like you act as if just because you are in the SEC, you are better than everyone else. That is wrong.

An "SEC" defense means nothing. An Alabama, Florida, LSU, AUburn defense means something. Kentucky is nothing special.

You really need to get over yourself and stop looking to pick fights.

I'm not a big 10 fan, but I would like to see an SEC school play tOSU in the shoe in the winter time. those guys never have to play in cold snowy weather and because of that have an advantage over schools who have to have game plans that involve cold non speed conducive weather.

We are running a pro style offense, which I hate, but it is what it is. Pro style offenses depend on the QBs, WRs and coaches. The play calling in the first half last night was about as good as I have seen it in years. The problem was with the players not executing the offense. Specifically, the QB and WR. These tree positions left 21 points on the table in the first half last night. This has to change. If this doesn't change by the end of the year, we need to change the people or change the people. JC plays should be brought in for immediate change if the players can't change.

We can win in the MAC with our defense. 34 is the best undersized LB this school has seen since Brian Hilk. The DL played well until they were overwhelmed by an SEC o-line. The DBs struggled, but they were also overwhelmed by much better SEC talent. We can win any MAC game this season with this defense on the field. Seeing what the competition is in the MAC yesterday, I don't shake in fear at the rest of the MAC offenses. We can win games.

I have to say I agree almost entirely with the line of thinking here. Good topic & thoughts from GP1.

Go Zips!

I'm not a big 10 fan, but I would like to see an SEC school play tOSU in the shoe in the winter time. those guys never have to play in cold snowy weather and because of that have an advantage over schools who have to have game plans that involve cold non speed conducive weather.

I would like the medium ten to stop scheduling so many MAC schools and Marshall. A middle of the pack SEC school like Tennessee (similiar budget) would dominate the medium ten.

If only the Browns could play Tressel's schedules, they would dominate.

I would like the medium ten to stop scheduling so many MAC schools and Marshall. A middle of the pack SEC school like Tennessee (similiar budget) would dominate the medium ten.

Texas, USC, and Miami Fl. agree with you. :puke: That is who OSU has had on the schedule the last 5 years and they have won their share of them too.

On the other hand Florida playing all of the little sisters of the poor also agrees with you.

Some of the ignorance on this board is utterly amazing to me. You guys attack a team you hate, but ignore the fact that other teams you compare them to do the same things and even worse, but you don't mention that. Some of you guys really let your hatred cloud your ability to make a rational post.

Yes, many of the B10 teams play MAC teams. That is a regional thing. Just as the SEC, PAC10 and all the rest play out of conference games against weaker opponents. Look for yourself at the SEC teams pre-conference schedules.

The B10 has 6 teams in the top 20 right now. I hardly call that Medium10...

It is true though that the SEC doesn't come north to play games?

Tennessee would domimate the B10..ROFLMAO. More ignorance and not having a clue about college football.

Funny how Minny, Wisci, Iowa all went out west this week to face top 20 teams. When was the last time Florida, LSU, Alabama did that? When was the last time any of them came north?

I do agree though that if the Browns played a college schedule they would dominate. That takes an intelligent being to state the obvious.

I won't even visit this thread anymore as I know the morons will come in full force now. Others start the crap, I respond and then the idiots all attack me.

To this day, I have still never, ever started an OSU thread. Yet, I have ignored many.

I apologize if some of you are too intolerant to accept someone that has 2-Alma-Mater.

I would defend UA on the OSU boards if I had to, but posters there aren't as ignorant as some here. They usually say good things about UA and want other Ohio teams to succeed.

Same old, same old.

Buck Zip I would hope you realize you are in the minority of people in this state who actually carry a degree from both schools or a even have a degree from OSU and root for them. The hatred on this board I don't necessarily think is aimed at your ilk, but more at OSU and talking about them on a Zips message board. The people on this board also direct their hatred toward the lemmings....especially those lemmings who went to or go to Akron and would rather travel to Columbus to tailgate for their game or watch it on TV then to venture across campus to watch the school they have an affiliation with. Me I'm ambivalent when it comes to OSU I just don't care.

Back to the topic at hand GP1 it may have been that I was watching the game in a bar, but I'm sorry I do not share your optimism. In fact I expect this team to go defeated this year. If it all truly the players and not the coaches....why do we have coaches. This argument is as old as the hills...the players play why are you blaming the coachs -- well because I tend to think it is their job to get the best out of their players. As it was mentioned on here earlier the talk with ICoach was hired was around how the cupboard wasn't bare, but you certainly could have fooled me looking at what we are seeing now. I agree Patrick Nicely is not the guy. I'm hopeful D'Orazio gets a fair chance to play next year or at the very least is flipped to defense and allowed to compete at safety so he could start four years. All in all it is ICoach who made the decision to start Nicely and it is his staff that calls plays he can't make so you tell me how is that the kids fault. If a kicker can only kick 40 yard field goals (I wish) is it his fault when he keeps getting sent out ot kick 50 yard field goals? The one thing I was impressed with was the defense in the early going, but felt they must have tired out quickly when Kentucky just ran them over.

Texas, USC, and Miami Fl. agree with you. :puke:That is who OSU has had on the schedule the last 5 years and they have won their share of them too.

On the other hand Florida playing all of the little sisters of the poor also agrees with you.

Some of the ignorance on this board is utterly amazing to me. You guys attack a team you hate, but ignore the fact that other teams you compare them to do the same things and even worse, but you don't mention that. Some of you guys really let your hatred cloud your ability to make a rational post.

Yes, many of the B10 teams play MAC teams. That is a regional thing. Just as the SEC, PAC10 and all the rest play out of conference games against weaker opponents. Look for yourself at the SEC teams pre-conference schedules.

The B10 has 6 teams in the top 20 right now. I hardly call that Medium10...

It is true though that the SEC doesn't come north to play games?

Tennessee would domimate the B10..ROFLMAO. More ignorance and not having a clue about college football.

Funny how Minny, Wisci, Iowa all went out west this week to face top 20 teams. When was the last time Florida, LSU, Alabama did that? When was the last time any of them came north?

I do agree though that if the Browns played a college schedule they would dominate. That takes an intelligent being to state the obvious.

I won't even visit this thread anymore as I know the morons will come in full force now. Others start the crap, I respond and then the idiots all attack me.

To this day, I have still never, ever started an OSU thread. Yet, I have ignored many.

I apologize if some of you are too intolerant to accept someone that has 2-Alma-Mater.

I would defend UA on the OSU boards if I had to, but posters there aren't as ignorant as some here. They usually say good things about UA and want other Ohio teams to succeed.

Same old, same old.

Won their share of them? If you elimnate Miami from this year, a team that is just now getting decent again, I believe your beloved Buckeyes are 1-4 in recent years against those other two teams you mention, Texas and USC. And if you throw in the two blowout losses against SEC teams LSU and Florida, your're at an impressive 1-6 mark.

Back to the topic at hand GP1 it may have been that I was watching the game in a bar, but I'm sorry I do not share your optimism. In fact I expect this team to go defeated this year. If it all truly the players and not the coaches....why do we have coaches. This argument is as old as the hills...the players play why are you blaming the coachs -- well because I tend to think it is their job to get the best out of their players.

Try to stay positive. The Zips will win this year. When I say I think they will win 4, that isn't asking much and I dont' type it with much joy.

I don't know what else the coaches could have done Saturday. They called three plays downfield and the players didn't execute. Do the coaches need to get a lot out of players? Hell yes, but at what point are the players held responsible? I say that if a ball hits a WR right in the hands, he should catch the ball even if Mr. Magoo is coaching him. I say if a WR is 5 yards open on a 40 yard pattern, the QB should be able to throw the ball to him in stride for a TD, or at least get the ball within 5 yards of him if he misses. This is D-1A football, not high school. These players are adults and and need to be held accountable for not just bad play, but horrible performance. They have been playing football since at least JR High and had enough ability in high school to get a scholarship to a D-1A schoo. It isn't like they never tried to catch a ball in their life. These guys were WIDE OPEN and we had three incomplete passes. It doesn't take much skill or coaching to catch or throw wide open passes.