Kelly Kennedy of the Akron Zips

zipsbandman

Darn flu or crud or what ever it is has me up at two AM.I am troubled to see anyone calling for coach Kennedy's hide. She came on boardto a team that had been ravaged by previous coaches. A team that for most partwas not even a Div.-I caliber. Saddled with years of inept coaching, poor recruitingand no spirit the Akron women were a joke. It was long accepted that they were atrue bottom feeder, a joke if you will.Coach Kennedy came on knowing the history of the program. Any coach knows youcan do a quick turn around with a few talented recruiting classes. Kennedy tried.Getting talent to even visit let alone commit has been an up hill battle.Finally coach snagged a few good perimeter players. Enough to put up a fight. But,in Division One ball you need post players. Without them there is no hope. Talented,athletic women's post players are darn hard to come by for any team let alone alowly bottom feeder program.This year coach Kennedy finally managed to sign two taller post players. They are intheir senior year of high school. They can not help until next season. Even thenthey will be freshmen.Coach needs a second class of post players and a year to season the incoming girls.Lets give her those two more years. Coach has great heart and no small amount of coaching skills. What she needs is time and players. Finally the players are coming.In the meanwhile, if winning is your only criterion, go cheer for Can't State. They areblessed with Bob Lindsay. Lindsay is as fine a women's college coach as you will everfind.Or, we can fire the women's coach every few years and say we are making progress.After all, that is exactly what Can't State does with its football team.

This years class is the first where she finally has upgraded talent. Another 2 classes like this year, and I think we can at least be 500. They actually played BG and Can't pretty well until the final 10 minutes. I agree, now is not the time to get rid of her. I jus wish it did not take 3 years to bring a decent recruiting class in. Women's hoops was so far down though, I can cut her some slack.