Michigan State at Akron

The word is that currently Michigan State is sleeping(maybe) at Quaker...

Match is tomorrow at 1:00pm. Gates open at 12:00pm. First 250 fans get a free t-shirt. Should be a fun matchup. Should be a decent student showing tomorrow...probably not the size of men's soccer or the size of volleyball, but probably around the size of men's basketball...

I'll be showing up with my soccer head and vuvuzela to see what the Lady Spartans of East Lansing thinks about it...

Match is tomorrow at 1:00pm. Gates open at 12:00pm. First 250 fans get a free t-shirt. Should be a fun matchup. Should be a decent student showing tomorrow...probably not the size of men's soccer or the size of volleyball, but probably around the size of men's basketball...

I'll be showing up with my soccer head and vuvuzela to see what the Lady Spartans of East Lansing thinks about it...

I need some clarification here. Are you saying that you're expecting 3k-4k for a women's soccer game? on a Sunday afternoon? on a holiday weekend? When few students are even on campus?

Please convince be I am wrong on this after the game, but I'd guess that the crowd would be closer to the 30-40 range rather than the 3,000 to 4,000 range.

I need some clarification here. Are you saying that you're expecting 3k-4k for a women's soccer game? on a Sunday afternoon? on a holiday weekend? When few students are even on campus?

Please convince be I am wrong on this after the game, but I'd guess that the crowd would be closer to the 30-40 range rather than the 3,000 to 4,000 range.

Are you telling me that 3-4,000 students show up for basketball? because i was talking about students...not the entire crowd...thought you understood that since you even bolded the part "decent student showing"...Which students for basketball is usually around 30-40 students...that's what im guessing today...

Tough loss today. The biggest issue with this team is that they play the way they need to when it's perfect weather. When it's raining, windy, or sleeting, they just don't play great at all. They need to get better at playing through the tough weather. If anyone saw what happened today, thats basically what happened in Florida at Florida International. Michigan State had their best player in program history get a hat trick today. Their defense was locked on even though they play a 3-4-3 and not a conventional 4-4-2 like Michigan did.

I feel like this could be a blessing in disguise. You can learn a lot more from losing than you can from winning all the time. Look at our men's team last year. This showed us today that this team has a lot to learn this year. We spoiled the home opener by winning in Ann Arbor. Michigan State knew that and they weren't going to take us lightly like Michigan did.

The biggest area of concern for me with this team is two areas: Goalkeeper and outside backs. Early on, I saw that we tried to move our outside backs up the sides. but couldn't work well when Spartans counter attack was quicker than our outside backs. I think once we get to MAC play, you will see some changes in the starting lineup.

The freshmen haven't completely got Pfau's system down, and I'm sure some of them are good enough that they could start. The honest part, is that this team can still win the MAC Championship. Toledo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, and Miami(OH) are the key matchups in the MAC to see if we're the real deal this year, or if next year will be our time.

We've been able to breeze through the MAC East the past two years with our only competition being Miami(OH). the key to winning the MAC this year will be having 1 loss or less on the MAC West part of the schedule. Basically, take men's basketball, and flip it around and that's what it is for women's soccer. The MAC West is so dominant in years past, 75% of the MAC tourney teams would be from the MAC West(top 8 make it).

They play in a South Florida tournament next weekend against Florida Atlantic and South Florida. Hopefully they play much better than the past couple weeks.

I do know this, WOMEN'S ATHLETICS AT AKRON ARE IMPROVING. Coach Ron Arenz, the volleyball head coach, has said that this is the best team he's had and also the toughest schedule he's ever had.

For women's soccer, this is the best team in the history of our program so far. Remember, this is only the tenth or eleventh season of the program. We're getting better players each year nationally, and men's soccer is definitely going to help the impact of the women's soccer recruiting years from now. From year's past, this may be our toughest non-conference schedule. The home Eastern Illinois one is a win for us, like the Canisus one last year. It's a game to play all the seniors(senior night/day) before MAC play begins...only other home non conference game was Michigan State. Away matches were Michigan, Florida International, South Florida, and Florida Atlantic.

The best teams in the MAC play the best competition they can. So if you want to win the MAC, you have to play competition that is supposed to be better than the MAC, in order to prepare you for conference play. I believe we did that this year.

Don't look into the 2nd half scoring too much today. MSU had more talent, more experience, and were more organized. Their coach has been there longer than us even having a women's soccer program(21 years coaching compared to 10 seasons for Akron).

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend(or just holiday tomorrow). Stay safe, and GO ZIPS!

Are you telling me that 3-4,000 students show up for basketball? because i was talking about students...not the entire crowd...thought you understood that since you even bolded the part "decent student showing"...Which students for basketball is usually around 30-40 students...that's what im guessing today...

First of all, far more than 30-40 students show up for men's basketball games. You obviously are only counting the people in the lower ends, which are seats that are reserved only for students who are members of the AK Rowdies. And I'm sure they'll tell you that their average numbers are much larger than that. I'd say they are at 30-40 on a really bad night, to be honest. You need to look around at all of the people sitting in the 3 bleacher sections sometime.

I can assure you that there is no comparison between Men's Basketball games and women's soccer games when it comes to students in attendance. And since the "announced" attendance for this women's soccer game was 432, and Men's basketball averages about 3-4k per game, if we even assume a relatively similar mix of fans, I think it would probably even be an understatement to say that a significantly higher number of students go to basketball games.

It's nothing personal, and I don't mean to slam you. I enjoy Zips soccer too. But, I just find it ridiculous that people on this board waste their time attempting to compare fan interest in football and basketball to soccer in any way whatsoever.

First of all, far more than 30-40 students show up for men's basketball games. You obviously are only counting the people in the lower ends, which are seats that are reserved only for students who are members of the AK Rowdies. And I'm sure they'll tell you that their average numbers are much larger than that. I'd say they are at 30-40 on a really bad night, to be honest. You need to look around at all of the people sitting in the 3 bleacher sections sometime.

I can assure you that there is no comparison between Men's Basketball games and women's soccer games when it comes to students in attendance. And since the "announced" attendance for this women's soccer game was 432, and Men's basketball averages about 3-4k per game, if we even assume a relatively similar mix of fans, I think it would probably even be an understatement to say that a significantly higher number of students go to basketball games.

It's nothing personal, and I don't mean to slam you. I enjoy Zips soccer too. But, I just find it ridiculous that people on this board waste their time attempting to compare fan interest in football and basketball to soccer in any way whatsoever.

You did slam me, but that's okay. What I'm trying to do is give an idea to people what I expected yesterday. The best comparison was volleyball, but how many posters have been to either women's soccer match or volleyball match? Same with women's basketball. So my idea was to give SOMEWHAT of an idea of what it's like...

I never really said i expect a men's basketball crowd fpr a women's soccer match, but come on. Just trying to get people to support the Lady Zips.The men's program has always been good, but could never get over that hurdle to the next level of being an annual national contender. Women's soccer is improving, but they can't get to the next level, of consistently being an NCAA tournament team on there own. I know a lot of women's soccer players that have told me they feel like home matches are away matches as well. I'm sorry, but I can't stand this. How do we let an Akron athletics team feel like every time they get on their home pitch, it feels like an away match?

By the way, about 180 or more of those people in attendance were from either Michigan State, or rooting for the Spartan player from Green HS...

It's an objectively observable fact that more students have turned out for soccer than basketball in recent years. Soccer has outdrawn football on a few occasions too if you count actual attendance vs. paid. I'd say that constitutes comparable fan interest... if fan interest can be judged by how many fans show up to the events.

I hate to break it for those whining about the attendance, but this is women's soccer. I highly doubt the attendance is any better elsewhere around the country at women's games. I've been to a couple games since I started going to Akron and frankly, the only reason I'll go again is for roowards points. The speed, skill and style of play isn't even on the same planet as the men's team. Fact is that God built men and women different physically. I hope that the women go out and win a championship, but I've got better things to do than commute half an hour for mediocre soccer. If the men played like an average MAC soccer team, I probably wouldn't go to many of their matches either. Now if I lived on campus, I would probably make it out to a few more women's games.

so much for having true Zip fans... :rolleyes:

Where do you draw the line? You been to many swim meets lately? If not are you a "true Zip fan"?

Personally I'm with Jacob, I can think of more things than I have time to list that I'd rather do than attend a women's soccer match... I don't think that makes me any less of a Zips fan, it just means I don't really care for women's soccer.

Where do you draw the line? You been to many swim meets lately? If not are you a "true Zip fan"?

Personally I'm with Jacob, I can think of more things than I have time to list that I'd rather do than attend a women's soccer match... I don't think that makes me any less of a Zips fan, it just means I don't really care for women's soccer.

I think the main question is, if Women Soccer would turn into a power house like Men's Soccer, would you go to it then? If you say yes, then you are less of a Zip fan than Mes, if you say no, then you don't care about women soccer.

Personally, If Swimming was really really good, and competing for national titles, I still probably wouldn't go to often.

I think the main question is, if Women Soccer would turn into a power house like Men's Soccer, would you go to it then? If you say yes, then you are less of a Zip fan than Mes, if you say no, then you don't care about women soccer.

Personally, If Swimming was really really good, and competing for national titles, I still probably wouldn't go to often.

To be honest, it depends on their style of play. I hate the American style right now. This is why I don't follow the MLS. I'd rather watch good Euro soccer. If all the NCAA men's programs played "sexy football" and the Zips were only an average team, then I would still watch them. If the Zips start playing like NIU or some other physical, straightforward team, I wouldn't go to nearly as many matches.

So for me, it's more about the style than wins and losses. Right now, Porter has the guys playing an extremely attractive style. I can't say the same for Pfau and that's why I don't go to nearly as many games. The fact that I made it out to 2 games last year makes me a bigger "fan" than probably 95% of the students on campus last year.

To be honest, it depends on their style of play. I hate the American style right now. This is why I don't follow the MLS. I'd rather watch good Euro soccer. If all the NCAA men's programs played "sexy football" and the Zips were only an average team, then I would still watch them. If the Zips start playing like NIU or some other physical, straightforward team, I wouldn't go to nearly as many matches.

So for me, it's more about the style than wins and losses. Right now, Porter has the guys playing an extremely attractive style. I can't say the same for Pfau and that's why I don't go to nearly as many games. The fact that I made it out to 2 games last year makes me a bigger "fan" than probably 95% of the students on campus last year.

I don't know how much exactly you've watched, but basically this is the second class of recruits he's basically been able to bring in, so it's still taking time. Pfau was not happy at all with their play sunday. They play closer to the style play of our men's team than I've seen in the past; however, it's one thing to put the style you want to put out there, and it's another to execute it. Porter's teams have always executed well. If you were there sunday, you would of seen a lot of bad passes in the match. The execution is still better than in years past, but Akron men's team wasn't built over night, and for most of us, it seems like that has to happen for ANY SPORT at Akron for us to improve.

I hate to say it, but we have the worst fans in the country. We're the only DI school I know that has had a problem with attendance in almost every sport. No one really came out to soccer unless it was Ohio State or another Big Ten school until we made it to the National Championship in 2009.

And to answer your question about swimming, I've made it a goal of mine to go to one each year. The same is for golf, tennis, and track. Cross Country is a little harder to choose where to stand, but I try to go there as well...But whatever...Guess I'm just an insane person that loves sports and supports the athletic programs here at Akron. Maybe I should apply for the AD job... :zzz:

Tough loss today. The biggest issue with this team is that they play the way they need to when it's perfect weather. When it's raining, windy, or sleeting, they just don't play great at all. They need to get better at playing through the tough weather. If anyone saw what happened today, thats basically what happened in Florida at Florida International. Michigan State had their best player in program history get a hat trick today. Their defense was locked on even though they play a 3-4-3 and not a conventional 4-4-2 like Michigan did.

I feel like this could be a blessing in disguise. You can learn a lot more from losing than you can from winning all the time. Look at our men's team last year. This showed us today that this team has a lot to learn this year. We spoiled the home opener by winning in Ann Arbor. Michigan State knew that and they weren't going to take us lightly like Michigan did.

The biggest area of concern for me with this team is two areas: Goalkeeper and outside backs. Early on, I saw that we tried to move our outside backs up the sides. but couldn't work well when Spartans counter attack was quicker than our outside backs. I think once we get to MAC play, you will see some changes in the starting lineup.

The freshmen haven't completely got Pfau's system down, and I'm sure some of them are good enough that they could start. The honest part, is that this team can still win the MAC Championship. Toledo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, and Miami(OH) are the key matchups in the MAC to see if we're the real deal this year, or if next year will be our time.

We've been able to breeze through the MAC East the past two years with our only competition being Miami(OH). the key to winning the MAC this year will be having 1 loss or less on the MAC West part of the schedule. Basically, take men's basketball, and flip it around and that's what it is for women's soccer. The MAC West is so dominant in years past, 75% of the MAC tourney teams would be from the MAC West(top 8 make it).

They play in a South Florida tournament next weekend against Florida Atlantic and South Florida. Hopefully they play much better than the past couple weeks.

I do know this, WOMEN'S ATHLETICS AT AKRON ARE IMPROVING. Coach Ron Arenz, the volleyball head coach, has said that this is the best team he's had and also the toughest schedule he's ever had.

For women's soccer, this is the best team in the history of our program so far. Remember, this is only the tenth or eleventh season of the program. We're getting better players each year nationally, and men's soccer is definitely going to help the impact of the women's soccer recruiting years from now. From year's past, this may be our toughest non-conference schedule. The home Eastern Illinois one is a win for us, like the Canisus one last year. It's a game to play all the seniors(senior night/day) before MAC play begins...only other home non conference game was Michigan State. Away matches were Michigan, Florida International, South Florida, and Florida Atlantic.

The best teams in the MAC play the best competition they can. So if you want to win the MAC, you have to play competition that is supposed to be better than the MAC, in order to prepare you for conference play. I believe we did that this year.

Don't look into the 2nd half scoring too much today. MSU had more talent, more experience, and were more organized. Their coach has been there longer than us even having a women's soccer program(21 years coaching compared to 10 seasons for Akron).

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend(or just holiday tomorrow). Stay safe, and GO ZIPS!

Since I've taken some heat from other social networking sites, I want to clarify my post a little. Goalkeeping is a concern for me NOT for game to game. But because of our DEPTH. We have only two goalkeepers on the roster. If one of them gets hurt, it will effect the team in a big way. Because on a given day, you may only have one goalkeeper to play, and that goalkeeper may get injured as well during the game, but will have to stay in due to the other goalkeeper already being hurt. That's my ONLY concern at goalkeeper. Just about every goal sunday was a result of the whole team not playing well. Not just Jeny. There is a lot of young players on this team, and I'm sure they learned from this game, not only physically, but especially mentally and emotionally from it.

I hope that the Lady Zips come back from South Florida this weekend with a pair of victories and pushing them above .500 for first time since beating Michigan.

Good luck Lady Zips :wave:

By the way, about 180 or more of those people in attendance were from either Michigan State, or rooting for the Spartan player from Green HS...
Would you believe, there were no MSU fans at the game? All that noise was being made by Dave in Green! :D I'm sure if I had been there, this Bulldog would have cheered for her -- to transfer!